Merrick Wingalings

Guest Waterdog66

Guest Waterdog66

So tonight I opened a can of Merrick Grain Free. (Wingalings) Audrey has loved Merrick Sweet Potato kibble and we have been mixing in different canned foods for variety. She loves Grammy's Pot Pie and a few others and this can was called "Wingalings".

I started to spoon it into her bowl and noticed that it had chicken bones in it. In fact, there were whole chicken wing parts in it. After reading up a bit, I realized that this is NOT a mistake or bad quality control. What I read is that the bones are heat treated and are completely digestible. Not wanting to take any chances I removed them. (Too many nightmare stories of dogs that ate cooked poultry bones)

Has anyone else taken the leap of faith and fed this product (Bones and all) to their hounds?

I am inclined to stick with their other products and play it safe but it sounds like they were intending the bones to be part of the nutrition profile.

I haven't fed that specifically but I *HAVE* done a big batch of freezer-burned chicken wings in my slow cooker (for, like, 2 days) until I could smush them up, bones and all. Could you smush the bones? If they are cooked to that point, they are fine.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Waterdog66

Could you smush the bones? If they are cooked to that point, they are fine.

I did not try do mush them up, but I did notice was I was removing them they were breaking up. (I was careful to get all of the pieces out) What I read later is that you should be able to mush them up with a fork. Still made me a bit nervy.

From the looks of it, I am NOT the first person to see this and get excited.

We have fed this - it was one of my senior gals favorite and one of the few things I could consistently get her to eat!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I haven't tried it, but will have to look for it - sounds like something my pups would LOVE. We cook whole chickens in the crockpot every two weeks - after twenty-four hours on low heat, the bones just crumble.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

They should be fine :) . Bones cooked to the point of being mushy/crumbly all the way through are safe for dogs.

What you DON'T want is bones cooked as for a people meal -- hard and splintery; those are the kind that cause problems. So, throw out your fried, baked, sauteed chicken bones as soon as you're done eating -- don't let the dog get those :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Waterdog66

They should be fine :) . Bones cooked to the point of being mushy/crumbly all the way through are safe for dogs.

What you DON'T want is bones cooked as for a people meal -- hard and splintery; those are the kind that cause problems. So, throw out your fried, baked, sauteed chicken bones as soon as you're done eating -- don't let the dog get those :) .

The good news is that our house is free of a few things; Poultry Bones being one of them. (Chocolate is another) :chow

YES, I have fed the Wingalings to Opie, our bridge angel boy, and now Toley. The bones crumble when smashed. it is perfectly fine to feed this. Our boys have always got add ins to their kibble, and I buy different canned foods to keep it interesting. These bones will not hurt the dogs.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12