Tony Has Crystals In His Urine

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

The vet suggested royal canan and hill science? sp ?

I wonder if there are any other type of foods thats others in the same situation use?

I will not feed raw but willing to concider other options!

Thanks!

Karen

Guest Scarter55

This happened to our cat a few years ago. He was NOT happy and had to spend three nights at the vet :( The problem seemed to stem from him not getting enough water. We got a specialty cat food from the vet, but started feeding him wet food and adding water to it to make sure he would drink. Before that, he would only drink from a running faucet. The extra water also seemed to make him lose weight. I'm not sure if the same would work for a dog.

Are they sure there's no infection?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

try cranberry caplets. Our Bridge boy JJ used to get them all the time. The vet suggested the prescription (i.e. EXPENSIVE!) food. Jokingly I said "we should just give him cranberry jiuce". The vet thought about it for a minute and said to try it if he'll drink it. We put it on his food. He ate it! Then we were going camping for two weeks on vacation and we didn't want to carry around a ton of juice so we tried the caplets. He never had another problem with crystals. Worth a shot in my book!

Halise

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Guest ctgreylover

he is 11 1/2 so they did a full work up on his blood and everything is fine except the crystals . I know with cats it can go bad really fast. I wanted to check to see if there is a better food for a greyhound . I will pick up the food this weekend. They are also doing some xrays as part of his senior check up.

For dogs, the therapeutic urinary foods are usually given just short-term.

I would make sure the urine was fully and promptly analyzed.

Has he been having any symptoms / problems?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ctgreylover

he has shown some back leg weakness which is what prompted me to schedule the full exam now rather than just a quick check.

I had changed his food in late April

My daughter adopted a shelter mutt who brought kennel cough and a stomach bug beginning of April

he has lost almost 4 pounds in 2 months

he is shedding more fur than normal

He has been a tad grumpy with the high energy ankle biter.

I went back to his other food and now have a condroiten/glucosamine ?sp? mega huge pills

and he is scheduled for 5 films as part of his senior exam. They will check his old disc issues as well as a few other things.

I just wanted to make sure I have him on the best senior food.

Tony and my other greyhound Violet are now back on Merrick samlon and sweet potato. but I read today fish may be bad? Violet needs corn free food or she gets bad ear wax and terrible shedding. - thats another story for another time! lol

Guest ctgreylover

It is important to know what kind of crystals as that makes a huge difference to the best approach

what should i ask? and what do i need to worry vs watch?

Ask what type of crystals they were (struvite, oxalate, etc.), how long the urine was at the office before being analyzed, what was the urine pH and specific gravity, and whether there was any indication of urinary tract infection such as a large number of white cells, red cells, or bacteria in the sample.

Was it a sterile sample, drawn by needle directly from the bladder, or did you catch a sample when he peed?

How was his calcium value in his bloodwork -- high, low, normal?

Some crystals (struvite in particular) are associated with urinary tract infection. Some (calcium oxalate) can be associated with metabolic issues. In a dog with no urinary symptoms, many crystals are insignificant in a sample that's sat around for any length of time or that's been refrigerated.

Batmom summed it up beautifully. If it is Oxalate then a prescription diet is not a great solution but a reduced oxalate / high moisture diet can work wonders. If they are struvite then they are more of a symptom than a cause.

Brandi has regularly had high levels of struvite crystals in her urine but only recently did the tests come back with a positive for bacteria and an infection. Each time we treated her as if it was a UTI but we were also getting abnormal urination in the house.

We upped her water intake but I didn't change her food because of all the intolerances poochie 2 has )and because the grass is always greener and the food tastier in the other bowl). We did this by wetting her food (she is on TOTW Pacific Stream). She also had an ultrasound to discover that she has no stones but that her bladder is positioned further into her pelvis than normal. She also has a flap of skin over her lady bits which is a little unusual and might be contributing.

All in all, I'm not much help!