Well, Our Doggy Dental Appointment Took A Bad Turn :(

Guest amyb

I took Potter in for his dental appointment yesterday. We suspected that he would need a tooth pulled...and he did. Two of them.

He was absolutely fine last night, but when he would fall asleep, pools of blood would form under his mouth. There was a little

bleeding on one of his beds last night, but not enough to cause alarm. This morning two of the dog beds had a pretty decend sized

puddle of blood on them. From what I gather, he was fine standing up because he would swallow the blood, but when he would

lay down and fall asleep the blood would seep out.

I called the vet first thing and they said to bring him in. I figured they would be able to do something to stop the bleeding in the

office, but they said there was too much blood and they wanted to keep him. They had us get a prescription that would help the

blood clot, but they think they are going to keep him overnight! :(

I am absolutely at my wits end about this.... I feel absolutely sick that he is at the vet's office for 2 days now. I'm really worried about

him and what will happen if they can't stop the bleeding.

Any one else have this sort of problem before? All experiences and encouraging words are welcome :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Amicar the medication they were going to try?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Passion had a dental last week, 11 teeth pulled. No blood at all.

Sorry you are going through this :grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Oh gosh. That doesn't sound good, but I am sure it's something that they have handled before.

My Ryder had lots of blood too (he had both top molars pulled - poor guy), but it never really got out of control. Please know that he is in good hands at the vet, they could prolly take better care of him in case the clotting just doesn't stick. I wonder if they might not try to sedate him and restitch the hole?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Is Amicar the medication they were going to try?

Yes! That is it!

I just can't stand it that he is there. All greyhounds should be at home on couches eating cookies, not in a vet's office :(

Oh gosh. That doesn't sound good, but I am sure it's something that they have handled before.

My Ryder had lots of blood too (he had both top molars pulled - poor guy), but it never really got out of control. Please know that he is in good hands at the vet, they could prolly take better care of him in case the clotting just doesn't stick. I wonder if they might not try to sedate him and restitch the hole?

He had molars pulled too. They said that if the prescription doesn't work they may have to sedate him again and restich. I'm not excited about him being sedated two days in a row.

Your vet probably knows this but Potter sounds as if he needs Amicar--amicaproic acid. This kind of post-op bleeding seems to happen to about 26% of greyhounds.

And now you know: any time in the future that Potter has surgery or an injury (or a dental) that involves--or might involve--bleeding, he needs to have amicar before the event.

The dose for a 55-79 pound greyhound is 500mg (usually, 1 tablet) every 8 hours for five days. (If your vet doesn't carry the drug, it's often available at people-pharmacies and hospitals.)

There's an article in the Spring 2009 newsletter of OSU's Greyhound Health and Wellness program, stored here as a PDF. Open that, save it to your computer, and forward it to your vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sedating isn't the same thing as full anasethesia. I completely understand why you're freaking out and I would be too, but talking to the vet about your concerns may actually help you feel better.

In the meantime, good thoughts for your little guy--I know it's horrible to have them at the vet's office, but I'm sure they are taking very good care of him.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Will your vet's office have someone in the building with him overnight? Because if not, you might make the argument that he'll be better off being supervised at home, especially if you have a 24-hour emergency vet nearby--just in case.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Liz_in_PA

Yes! That is it!

I just can't stand it that he is there. All greyhounds should be at home on couches eating cookies, not in a vet's office :(

Potter obviously got you to sign the RIGHT contract.

Thank you for all of the support and kind words! We will definitely be more prepared with the medication beforehand for next time.

At this point we are just waiting for the vet to call back. If he wants to keep him overnight, I'm going to make sure someone is there with him. I don't like the idea of him being by himself. If he is at home at least we can take him to the 24 hour clinic.

Our foster grey Callie is beyond sad. First off she misses Potter and keeps crying. Second, I'm washing the blood off of the dog beds so she can't find a place to settle down in. :(

:( Poor bug. Hope he is much better and can come home with you tonight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending prayers for Potter and you.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Hope he's back home soon!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:hope

And I agree...don't leave him there all night unless there is going to be someone there to monitor him.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Not sure why he can't come home. Not sure keeping him there overnight without being supervised is beneficial. I do, however, believe he needs to be kept very quite as not to raise his blood pressure.

And we should all thank Dr Couto for discovering the huge benefit with the use of Amicar. :-)

Well, he came back home, but the bleeding doesn't seem to have stopped. Maybe there isnt enough in his system yet? If it hasn't stopped yet in the morning I'll call and see what we should do. The medicine seems to be making him sleepy and he doesn't act like he's in any pain.

Cross your fingers that he makes a turn for the better overnight!