How Do I Convert Wet Food To Dry Food Amounts ?

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

I will preface this with,,I learned after 7+ years my dog likes dog food.

I made another thread about Leia being finicky lately eating,,not really wanting to eat her kibble. I asked about feeding one meal a day (as she prefers dinner), then doing percentages (1/4 meal in AM, rest at dinner) then I read another thread about people looking for add ins to help the dog want to eat. One of the suggestions was canned food.

Well turns out canned dog food was the trick. Leia never has had canned dog food. I used a bit of canned dog food (no grain type made by Nutro) as her add ins instead of the beef or chicken we used and the problem is solved. My dog loves dog food. She sucks her meals down now.

Now I want to help her lose a little weight and I need to know how to sub canned food for dry food. Like how much would 1/4 cup of kibble equal in canned food,,or cant' that be done generally because of calorie count? I am still going to give her the cup and a half of kibble she eats daily,,but instead of putting add ins on top of it, I want to remove some kibble and replace it with canned food.

Thani you in advance (I am going out now)

Calorie basis. If the calories per cup and per can aren't listed on the bag/can, they're probably listed on the manufacturer's website.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Agree with Batmom. Each food's caloric content is different. The kibble bag should also list calorie content.

(Kibble example: 400 kcal/cup so 1/4 cup kibble would = 100 calories that you could replace with 100 calories of wet food.)

Good to remember that soft foods stick to teeth more easily than kibble, so keeping up with tooth brushing (with pet safe toothpaste) is important to prevent gum disease and tooth decay, which leads to internal organ disease. (Painful teeth/gums are a common reason dogs slow their eating, or appear to lose interest in kibble.)

Guest FordRacingRon

Agree with Batmom. Each food's caloric content is different. The kibble bag should also list calorie content.

(Kibble example: 400 kcal/cup so 1/4 cup kibble would = 100 calories that you could replace with 100 calories of wet food.)

Good to remember that soft foods stick to teeth more easily than kibble, so keeping up with tooth brushing (with pet safe toothpaste) is important to prevent gum disease and tooth decay, which leads to internal organ disease. (Painful teeth/gums are a common reason dogs slow their eating, or appear to lose interest in kibble.)

Yeah,,I have some math to do. As far as teeth,,she gets them brushed every day. As a human with teeth that are not so good, I get the tooth decay part. Vet always wants to give her a dental, then he checks her teeth and says they are fine (much to his dismay). 10 years old, never a dental, still has all her teeth!