Hello From Tx!

Guest Pinup4Greys

Guest Pinup4Greys

Hello GT!

My name is Lisa Ann, and my fiancé, Paul, and I adopted our first greyt last Monday. We just moved to Central TX in December (from Southern CA) and this was my first time of living in a house without a dog. Friends had bets on how long we would last before I went dog crazy and eventually adopt. I immediately started scouring the websites (petfinder and local rescue sites) searching for a whippet or a greyt. One girl popped up online in March that I started to crush on but we weren't ready yet (read as "I hadn't nagged enough yet" :wife2 ) and needless to say she was adopted out. But luck would have it that I came across Franny on Austin Greyhound Adoption's page and I just fell in love with her! :beatheart Paul wasn't really sold on a greyt but it only took meeting her in our house for him to fall for her. We've both had various breeds throughout our lives (from toy to large) but never a hound so this is a learning experience for us.

Franny is a 1.5 yr old, light brindle girl that's still coming out of her shell. While her adoption was only just finalized last week she had stayed with us a week prior so we could become better accustomed to her (more than just a one hour visit would allow us to see about her). Unfortunately, during that trial week we had to take her to vet and found out she hooks (yay for finding them on the first visit as I've read on many posts on here that some pups went months without catching them). So, she started out with us on ID food, Drontal Plus, Flagyl, and FortiFlora but now that she's only on FortiFlora we are both doing much better. :rivethead Amen for not getting woken up every couple hours to go outside! We've no idea if she is cat friendly, she tried bolting away from our neighbors little white fluffies (as they came barreling out of their garage with little dog syndrome), but showed no interest in the pitbulls in the vets office - needless to say, we'll be starting out slowly with her around other pets since she's a spook.

Also, I want to thank everyone in advance for everything I've already learned from previous posts (many late nights of new mommy anxiety research sessions). I'm trying to take the alone training advice (epic fail so far as she can't seem to get past a minute without howling her head off), we're teaching her Kong skills to hopefully keep her busy, and working on getting her to relax and become a little less velcroed to me.

Now that you've suffered through that bio - on to the photos!!!

20130527_200824.jpg

57318e67-90f3-409f-848f-cf4a58c9836d.jpg

20130607_161930.jpg

ec36710d-ae37-4244-9152-70e3f70d9bfe.jpg

Edited by Pinup4Greys

Congratulations! She's lovely.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hello from Amarillo :wave

There are a few GTers in Austin. Have fun!

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Doggone

Another Austin greyt owner here :).

I adopted Autumn this past March 1st. She's a 7-year-old red brindle brood mom (alas, no pictures :(........ I am completely tech-challenged!), and she has pretty much settled into my life :).

I hope Franny feels at home with you quickly, and that any SA she has is only temporary. She's lovely; enjoy :).

Guest Pinup4Greys

Another Austin greyt owner here :).

I adopted Autumn this past March 1st. She's a 7-year-old red brindle brood mom (alas, no pictures :(........ I am completely tech-challenged!), and she has pretty much settled into my life :).

I hope Franny feels at home with you quickly, and that any SA she has is only temporary. She's lovely; enjoy :).

I too had tech issues (why my photos are super-sized and not as small the originals uploaded to photobucket, I have no idea). Are you apart of any local greyhound groups? We had to go to Petsmart this weekend and scheduled to go during AGA's Meet and Greet so she could see some other greys and she was so excited! I look forward to getting her out to some greyhound playdates. My fiancé has tomorrow off so I hope to maybe run to Costco while he's home so she doesn't feel too stressed when I leave. She has become so attached to me that she cries if she gets closed out of the bedroom while I take a shower. I have faith we'll get past it though since she cried for around 30 minutes the first time Paul left for work and now she doesn't cry anymore when he leaves - there is hope!

Guest Doggone

I too had tech issues (why my photos are super-sized and not as small the originals uploaded to photobucket, I have no idea). Are you apart of any local greyhound groups? We had to go to Petsmart this weekend and scheduled to go during AGA's Meet and Greet so she could see some other greys and she was so excited! I look forward to getting her out to some greyhound playdates. My fiancé has tomorrow off so I hope to maybe run to Costco while he's home so she doesn't feel too stressed when I leave. She has become so attached to me that she cries if she gets closed out of the bedroom while I take a shower. I have faith we'll get past it though since she cried for around 30 minutes the first time Paul left for work and now she doesn't cry anymore when he leaves - there is hope!

I got Autumn from GPA, although I had also inquired at AGA (they only had BIG boys when I was searching :(, but I was very impressed with the warmth of the people there, especially Bob).

As I mentioned, she came to me on 3/1, and she's finally okay with my bathroom being MY bathroom, but she will generally still park herself outside of it :D!

She didn't have SA, but when I'm home, she likes being in the same room as me. She's very calm about most things, but that could be due to her age, not just temperament.

Good luck with Franny :), she's adorable!

Guest lanielovesgreys

Hi from Austin! You should look into greyt stay (an Austin yahoo group). We trade grey sitting. :) and welcome to the greyhound world!

Guest Pinup4Greys

Hi from Austin! You should look into greyt stay (an Austin yahoo group). We trade grey sitting. :) and welcome to the greyhound world!

Thanks! Franny's foster (Craig) suggested we join that group. Being new to TX and having very few contacts here I'm sure it will become invaluable for us! I sent in a membership request because we'll actually need a sitter next week for her (future hubby has a company party in San Antonio that I'm sure will become a late night deal).

Welcome and congratulations, she is gorgeous, enjoy!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten