Gah! Hookworms And A Vet Who Won't Listen

I won't give the whole backstory because this will be long already, but in short, Boo has a very persistent case of hookworms.

When our vet first diagnosed him, he said, "We don't see very many cases of hookworms in Alberta", so I am assuming he doesn't have to treat them often. Boo has now gone through multiple rounds of de-worming treatments, and a stool sample after each one. We are sitting around $1200 over the last 4 months in vet bills just for the worms.

We have completely bleached every inch of the backyard, and we pick up every stool immediately as it hits the ground. We then bleach the area where we picked up as we go, too. He doesn't go to dog parks or play in other dog's yards.

The first time he was treated, he did a couple rounds of de-worming spaced 2 weeks. The issue is that my vet (and techs) now insist on giving him one round of de-wormer, then testing. I've researched hookworms to the nth degree and received some great advice from adoption groups and know that a stubborn case should be treated several rounds 2 weeks apart... not one round at a time. The vet techs keep telling me that since he is alternating heartguard and interceptor every two weeks, that should take care of the worms. But it doesn't.

Additionally, I have to pay $60+ for every stool sample I bring in... and I know when the hooks have come back without a stool sample. He does a treatment, stool becomes normal, he eats, has energy, etc. Then within a couple of weeks, he stops eating, stool becomes soft serve, etc. I don't really need a stool sample every time. It's pretty obvious when the hooks are back and the sample always does come back positive. However, they insist on testing the stool two weeks after every treatment.

I've tried suggesting nicely that I would prefer to take a more aggressive treatment course, and suggesting which meds I would like... they always just say "No, no, I'm sure it will work this time...", even though it never does.

My question is this: At what point do I either 'demand' (nicely, of course) my adoption group's suggested meds and course of treatment, and otherwise take my dog elsewhere? Or do I just keep throwing $100 down the hole every two weeks while they continue to fumble with something they admit having little experience in?

Orrrr do I just order the meds online (Drontul plus alternated with Panacur) and do it myself?

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

I knew a while back there was a thread on hooks on AG.

This is what one of the farmers had to say about hooks.

IMHO you guys left out one of the most important de-wormers....PANACUR! Especially if you are in Florida where hook worms are prevalent! Hookworms are the most dangerous and can actually kill puppys! Strongid T. aka Pyrantel Pamoate is not enough. PROPER dosage of Panacur is 1cc per 5# of body weight 3 days in a row. Anything less and you might as well flush your money down the toilet.

I knew a while back there was a thread on hooks on AG.

This is what one of the farmers had to say about hooks.

IMHO you guys left out one of the most important de-wormers....PANACUR! Especially if you are in Florida where hook worms are prevalent! Hookworms are the most dangerous and can actually kill puppys! Strongid T. aka Pyrantel Pamoate is not enough. PROPER dosage of Panacur is 1cc per 5# of body weight 3 days in a row. Anything less and you might as well flush your money down the toilet.

Well shoot, we did a 3 day round of Panacur but just one.... would one be enough? I am under the impression a second round two weeks later will kill any larvae that were living in the stomach and therefore weren't caught by the first round.

Thanks Dick.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Truman just had Giardia, and the vet gave us the wrong dosing for the Panacur. I just went online and bought more through Amazon. Much cheaper and less hassle. Did three days' worth, then the same process again two weeks later.

Edited by a_daerr

Well, if anyone that lives in the US is willing to have me order the meds to their address and then ship them to me at my cost, I'm open. Unfortunately, none of the sites will ship to Canadian addresses, only the States.

Very unfortunate as I feel I could order the right dosage of the right meds and medicate properly, and THEN take a stool sample in once that is done.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

At this point I would be tempted to just buy the meds and try treating myself. That is an insane amount of $$ to spend on hookworms!!

FYI, check out this thread started a few weeks back. The company here apparently does ship to Canada.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/298571-revolution-vs/

Is Panacur fenbendazole? If so, all of the TSC farm and horse stores carry it if you need to find it fast.

No problems with Nemex or Strongid-T here. Hookworms aren't that hard to kill from the point of view of which medication. More a matter of the correct dose and the right cycle. You want to get the matures and the immatures, and that process is IIRC @ 30 days. So if you worm 3 times at 2 week intervals, you should get everybody. The heartworm-prevention products use too low a dose IIRC.

I'd save your $ on repeat fecals until you've done those rounds of worming, no point in repeats till then.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with Batmom regarding dose and timing the cycle. We alternated Panacur and Drontal+, but again, I think its more about getting them at the right time more than the med itself.

Had similar issues here with Hooks in one of our boys. Lucky for us our vet is very open to suggestions and acknowledges his limited experience with greyhounds. Doesn't sound like your vet is as open; that's a deal-breaker for me. I don't need a local greyhound expert, but I do require a vet who recognizes his limitations. I'm pretty forgiving and patient, but in this case, I'd find someone else.

Also agree to just save your $$ on the fecals. We had a negative and then a positive just a week later. It's all about where the worms are in their lifecycle.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys, I agree... the lifecycle and right dosage is important and our vet doesn't seem too into hearing us out. I agree 3 rounds at 2 weeks apart SHOULD ideally get the existing ones, larvae and all. Tbhounds is helping us source some meds and we will probably look into a new vet.

Any additional info is welcome, and thanks to everyone for the good advice!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Betty came to us with a stubborn case of hookworms. We tried multiple rounds of Panacur and Dontral. Nine months later she still had them. My vet ended up calling IDEXX (the lab that does the testing) and speaking with the scientists there. They recommended doing 5 doses of Strongid three times with three weeks between each round. So we did 5 days of Strongid, waited 3 weeks, did another round of 5 days, waited three weeks and did the third round of 5 days. We then waited a few weeks and did a fecal recheck. Then did another fecal check a few months later just to be absolutely sure they were gone.

I agree with looking into a different vet. You should feel heard when you voice concerns or suggestions. I hope you get your pup cleared up soon. I know how frustrating it can be.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Fritz had a horrible case of hooks. IIRC it took about 4 rounds of Panacur to get rid of them. a couple of the rounds were 5 day rounds as opposed to 3 day rounds.

Good luck... they are awfully nasty!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Isn't there a Canada version of Amazon.com? Like Amazon.ca? That's where I get my Panacur.

And I would change vets. A vet who won't listen is not someone who I would continue to see. You're a consumer--you don't have to pay for repeated poo tests. If you can SEE the worms, he's just ripping you off insisting on fecal exams.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Allivet ships to Canada...I order from them a couple times a year for my horses.

Panacur does not require a script.

http://www.allivet.com/p-1058-panacur-c-canine-dewormer.aspx

Drontal and Strongid require a script.

Do you know any horse people?

I can get Strongid and Panacur from my equine vets.

Edited to say...can you find another vet?!?!?!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest houndog990

I agree with Batmom regarding dose and timing the cycle. We alternated Panacur and Drontal+, but again, I think its more about getting them at the right time more than the med itself.

Also agree to just save your $$ on the fecals. We had a negative and then a positive just a week later. It's all about where the worms are in their lifecycle.

this....

after unsuccessfully treating one of our girls, the DVM thought she might have picked up a resistant strain from the track. we treated panacur for 7 days x3 three weeks apart then drontal+ x3 three weeks apart.

shouldn't gairdia be treated for 7 days not three?

"We don't see very many cases of hookworms in Alberta"

We do! Hookworms cycle through Alberta on a regular basis - seems we have a big outbreak every two to three years. And they are notoriously hard to get rid of. We have had more than a few greys up here that have taken over a year to get rid of hooks, with monthly treatments of Panacur. The culprit - vets just like yours that don't recognize and treat hooks in other breeds of dogs. All it takes then is a nice walk anywhere where other untreated dogs walk and you can be back where you started.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest houndog990

The dvm told me hooks and whip can live dormant in the soil for three years. Eggs can survive burning, freezing and insecticides. You must remove the top foot of soil to get below possible infected soil. If I were you I'd get aggressive with treatment, then use heartworm prevention every 4 weeks year round. Just my $.02

Hookworm eggs and larvae don't last that long. Eggs are killed by freezing temps. Larvae survive a couple of months max, without a host. That's why they're more common in warm, damp climates such as the U.S. southeast.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The dvm told me hooks and whip can live dormant in the soil for three years. Eggs can survive burning, freezing and insecticides. You must remove the top foot of soil to get below possible infected soil. If I were you I'd get aggressive with treatment, then use heartworm prevention every 4 weeks year round. Just my $.02

You're confusing hooks with whipworms.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest psdirector

Hutch came to us from Florida with a horrible case of hooks. It took four rounds of Panacur with each round lasting three days and each round three weeks apart to get rid of them. Tibbs never did get them.