Mercedes Wolfe Is At The Bridge

Guest dwolfe711

Guest dwolfe711

It is surreal to me to be posting in this forum twice within 10 days. Last Tuesday we lost our little Ellie at 14yo. This morning we sent our sweet Mercedes to the Bridge and we are in a state of disbelief and shock. She would have been 13yo in July.

Mercedes came to us three years ago after we lost our Apollo. I wanted to adopt a male who was being fostered by friends of ours. Dave checked the GPA-MD website and fell in love with a the beautiful white face of a dark brindle little girl. He won the discussion and sweet little Mercedes came into our home to join Ellie and Ripley. She was a 9yo return due to financial situation. She walked into our home and into our pack and into her Daddy's heart big time! She was a perfect little girl in every way - extremely affectionate but would freak out if we tried to get her on the couch or bed - obviously she was NOT allowed on the furniture in her first home! She anxiously awaited for each meal time - she loved to eat! She would "throw a fit" - paw at a dog bed until she moved it across the room - if dinner was not on time. It was her way of telling me she was not happy with the delay! She would occasionally snatch up a stuffie and play with it - but if you talked to her or if she thought you were watching her she would abruptly stop and lie down. Apparently it was not acceptable to be seen playing!! She loved to be outside and would go out in any type of weather - hot - cold - snow - pouring rain - didn't matter - she just loved to be out there!

I decided the first day she was with us that PINK was her color! So I spent about two weeks searching online for the perfect collar - she looked gorgeous in it and she had a pink tag collar, a ink ID tag, a pink leash, pink harness, a pink coat, pink blankies and pink stuffies. She was such a pretty girl in pink! Over time I also gave her a nickname - Sadie and that became Sadie Sue - but when you really wanted to get her attention, Mercedes worked best!

She gave us a scare about 1.5 years ago when one of her toes swelled up and we had to have it amped - she was a trouper through it all and thankfully, her biopsy was benign.

She was getting sick and we aren't sure how long until she threw up in the house about two weeks ago while we were still dealing with Ellie's problems. We soon realized that she had been throwing up some meals outside when we weren't watching. We went to the vet and started having tests run - last week blood work didn't show any major problems - put her on antibiotics and stomach meds. She continued to throw up and it was obvious that she was not able to digest the food at all. Another visit to the vet this week for x-rays and further tests which ruled out lyme and pancreatitis but the x-rays showed something near the entrance to her digestive tract - an obvious blockage. We brought her home for 24 hours and made the decision yesterday to let her go this morning. She had lost so much weight and she was in pain and we couldn't even get pain pills into her. Her eyes told us she was ready to go.

So for the first time in 20 years we have no female greys in the house - Ripley and Praveen (GH) will be lost without the girls to tell them what they can and can't do!!

This has been the hardest thing we've done in 20 years of adoption - our hearts are broken times two - the house will be way too quiet tonight - we will all be trying to comprehend what happened in the past 10 days!

A few pics of the pretty girl -

This was taken at Spring Dewey 2012 - always very tiring all those walks on the beach!

Mercedes2012springdewey_zps327ed2f8.jpg

This was Christmas 2012 - see - pink chew toys too -

sadiesmall4.jpg

This is my favorite picture of Mercedes - taken the first day she came into our home - see why Daddy fell in love with that face on the website?

mercedes_022810_101small.jpg

Run free sweet girl - Ellie, Apollo, Allie, Duncan, Lizzy, Elaine, Red and Toby will be waiting at the Bridge to show you the ropes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OPointyDog

Oh no! What a terrible thing to go through again. You did what she needed, even though I know how broken-hearted you must be. I'm sorry your beautiful pink girlie had to leave you. :grouphug

Guest PiagetsMom

Your Mercedes was a beautiful girl, who definitely looked lovely in pink. My heart goes out to you for two losses so close together.....I'm so very sorry :grouphug

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Mercedes and so soon after losing Ellie. :(:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so sorry :(

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl.

Godspeed, Mercedes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Donna, I am so very sorry. Losing two doesn't just double the pain it is so much more than that. Hugs to you.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

So very sorry for the loss of your Pretty In Pink Girl.

Remember the good times...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss, Donna. Two girls in such a short time is too much. :grouphug You were right, pink was definitely her color. :f_pink

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest greytbookert

I'm so very sorry! Having lost a few close together, it is very important for you to take care of yourself.

Try and think of the good times. I know, easier said than done.

I am so sorry that Mercedes had to leave. What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful girl - your love for her shines through in every word.

Thank you for opening your home and heart to this senior girl that needed you so badly. What a difference you made in her life.

Run free Mercedes and let your mom know that you are okay now.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I am so sorry you are experiencing 2 losses. My Plummer, my brindle, who looked like your Mercedes lost his battle of stomach issues and went to the bridge in April.

Mercedes and Plummer are keeping each other company and sharing their stories.

Take care.

I'm so very sorry. She was a special little girl. She was too young and left much too soon after Ellie.

Godspeed Mercedes.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)