Twisted / Bent Toe

Guest june

Guest june

Hi all,

Ok, the saying, "its all fun until someone gets hurt"? Well, the pups were running in the yard and suddenly one of my girls growls and barks (everyone muzzled) at the other dogs running around her and is holding her paw up. No GSOD, thank goodness. Her outside toe (left front foot) is bent sideways. No blood. When I first looked it was actually tucked under the toe next to it. She doesn't want to put weight on it and I've put her muzzle on her because she wants to lick and chew on it. I've given her a tramadol and she has eaten supper. Of course it was 2 minutes to closing at the vet. I opted to not do an emergency visit but have an appointment for tomorrow. She is resting. So far no swelling. Any thoughts from those of you in the know? I'm thinking she has either broken it or dislocated it. Tramadol was OK'd by the vet 1 three times daily.

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by june

Yeeks! I hope it finds its way back to normal ... I wonder if ... should you try sort of gently pulling it back into place? Maybe not, if you don't know exactly what's wrong ...

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

If it's dislocated, best to get it back in place ASAP. But, that takes a vet you trust with these things. Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Larry dislocated his toe and our vet was able to "pop" it back in place. Larry also broke a toe and it swelled a lot overnight. When Larry dislocated the toe, it did not swell like that. If you do end up needing bandaging materials, I have a case of awesome tape and lots of other supplies from Cosmo's toe amp.

Hoping your beautiful girl heals quickly.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest june

OK, I've had time to calm down. Thought to take pictures.

Ronatoe003_zpsdff832bf.jpg

Ronatoe002_zpsfbd921cd.jpg

Ronatoe001_zpsf99cf31f.jpg

Not the best pictures but maybe you can tell . . . Oh yea, my vet is on vacation and I really do not have a lot of confidence in the one who is there. My vet's office is the e-vet which means if I go e-vet I'm still dealing with someone who is pretty inexperineced.

Guest june

Larry dislocated his toe and our vet was able to "pop" it back in place. Larry also broke a toe and it swelled a lot overnight. When Larry dislocated the toe, it did not swell like that. If you do end up needing bandaging materials, I have a case of awesome tape and lots of other supplies from Cosmo's toe amp.

Hoping your beautiful girl heals quickly.

Well, it's not swollen and she is resting. I have some vet wrap and a few other first aid things, but I'll holler if I need anything.

Thanks. Hope Cosmo is doing good.

Guest june

Definitely dislocated. The sooner it gets popped back into place the better.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but I'm not a vet. Now I have to decide if I take her to a vet I have no confidence in (I had a horrible experience with this vet when one of my dogs got hurt) and pay e-vet prices or wait until morning. Sigh.

Edited by june

If you don't have confidence in the vet, I'd either wait or else call and ask if the vet knows how to put a dislocated toe back in place. Usually all you have to do is grasp at the dislocated joint (between your thumb and forefinger), tug slightly outward (away from the foot) and then in the direction the joint should be. But it is way creepy to contemplate, and creepy to do if you haven't done it before.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest june

If you don't have confidence in the vet, I'd either wait or else call and ask if the vet knows how to put a dislocated toe back in place. Usually all you have to do is grasp at the dislocated joint (between your thumb and forefinger), tug slightly outward (away from the foot) and then in the direction the joint should be. But it is way creepy to contemplate, and creepy to do if you haven't done it before.

I've decided I'm going to wait until morning. I'm going to try calling another vet to see if I can get her in t someone with more experience. The only appointment open at my vet's office is at 3:20 and I don't want to wait that late in the day. She is resting with the tramadol and I'll give her another one at 12:30 when she is due and start calling vets in the morning. I understand in theory how to "relocate" but I know myself well enough to know I don't have the confidence to do it. Way too creapy is an understatement. Shudder!

Thanks for the support everyone! I'll post tomorrow to let you all know how things work out.

Edited by june

Guest june

She spent a quiet night last night with anther dose of tramadol in the middle of the night to keep the pain under control. Got up this morning and the toe is back in place! She is limping but putting weight on it. She is walking slowly and carefully and obviously she has no intention of running (very good thing!). Must be God looking out after us. I'm going to take her in to get it cheked out, but it looks like all is good. I'm OK with taking her in to see this vet just for a look over. :wubsite

Thanks for all the support! I'll let you all know what the vet says.

Update??

Hope it was an easy fix and she's ok.

Ruby dislocated her toe last year, but by the time she saw the vet it had already popped itself back in place.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Mario (2nd Chance Rescue).   Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) and especially  Nigel (Nigel), waiting at the Bridge

SKMwinter.jpg

Guest june

Sorry I didn't update earlier. It's been a hectic afternoon and evening. Rona is doing great. Vet looked at the pictures of her toe and then at her toe and was very pleased that it put itself back. She isn't even really limping anymore but just more like favoring it a bit. She has to be on a leash for the next few days to be sure she doesn't run and cause more problems. I'll probablly give her a half a tramadol tonight a bedtime to be sure she sleeps without any pain but she hasn't had a tramadol since the middle of last night.

Thanks to everyone for the information and support. It is so nice to know there is somewhere to turn when stuff like that happens. Hopefully it will be a long time before anything else happens! :ghplaybow Rona says "Thanks" too!

Guest Addie

That sort of happened to Addie but the bone was out of the skin! I almost died when I saw it! I took the foot and looked under it to find the rest was bent under the toe next to it (Thank God because I was thinking she broke it off) for some reason without thinking I took the toe tugged on it a little and it went back together like it should. I called the vet and since it was the weekend I was told to keep it wrapped good because it could pop out again real easy and if it keeps happening it would never heal. (I think I kept it wrapped for a couple weeks) She also got a round of antibiotic to prevent bone infection.

Guest june

Glad Addie's turned out OK too. Rona has not even attempted to run. Angel was bouncing around trying to get Rona interested, but Rona was having none of that. She is using her very stately walk and is mostly laying around. Smart girl!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have had more experience than I'd like with dislocated toes the last couple of years! Jewels and Nonnie; they lure course, and Jewels introduced me to what can happen when you do not get your courser's nails QUITE short enough before a trial... We learned the hard way that if you even think, "gee, maybe we should take that one just a LITTLE shorter" you probably should, We got her all the way back to the trailer with her bouncy and happy, npo sign of pain, and then Gene looked at her front feet and asks me if her toe has always bent that way..., Ummm, NO! Got the first aid kit situated next to me, popped her toe back in place (if you should ever need to do this; the technique I have learned is to hold the toe gently and determine the direction of the dislocation, and very gently apply just a little pressure in the same direction (counterintuitive, I tried doing the opposite and the toe did not budge) The toe will slip past the knuckle just a bit allowing the tendon to pull it back into place. Get yourself a good illustration detailing a greyhound's feet, showing the bones and tendons, and it will be much easier to envision what's happening inside... Now, with the toe back in place, icing the foot for 10 minutes or so will help to lkimit bruising and swelling. Then, look at the stucture of the foot in a neutral position; identify areas that would like to be supported to keep the foot in correct position while the stretched ligaments are healing; we make little gauze rolls and tuck them where they will acheive keeping the foot as correctly positioned as possible. Pad between the toes; just enough to ensure that when a bandage is wrapped around the foot, no contact can be made between bony surfaces; it is extremely important that toes not be allowed to rub anywhere or pressure sores can form, which can take a dislocation to an infection requiring amputation of toe or toes. Take yoiur time and get this part right; then wrap the foot with vetwrap. NOT too tight; pre-stretch the vet wrap and allow it to relax, and bandage carefully and neatly. The dog should now be comfortable; we give Arnica tablets at this time, and get your pup home. I give a second dose of arnica in 2 or three hours. Check the bandage at home, make sure it's not too tight; cover it when your hound goes out for potty. It must NOT get wet, If it gets even damp, remove and replace as before. Inspect at every turnout, and keep hound from licking and getting it wet that way. Every two or three days, remove bandage, inspect in between toes without disturbing position of the dislocated toe; make sure no sores are forming. Re-bandage., You'll get really proficient at this :-) Don't let it get wet, Don't forget to change every couple of days. Don't let your hound do zoomies, jump out of vehicles, etc... keep him quit as possible, leash walk for potties if necessary, At 3 weeks post injury, remove bandage. Inspect the toes; check for proper alignment; gently test range of motion. Ligaments/tendons should feel tight; no extra play on one side or the other. Gently massage the toe; I use emu oil and gently rub, then very, very gently do a couple of stretches looking to improve range of motion but only a tiny bit this first day. Clip or dremel the nails, they'll have become too long in 3 weeks. Twice a day massage and gently stretch, If at any time the joint seems sloppy or unstable, re-pad and bandage the foot for 2 more days; check again, repeat as necessary. Near the end of wek 4 range of motion should be subtly improved, and the hound should not exhibit any pain at any time. Continue thru week 5. Unlikely that 100% range of motion will be regained; 75% is fairly good. Week 6, find a lure coursing practice, and let the hound run an easy 100 yard sprint, straight line only, after the lure. The toe should hold. The hound should be sound. Do this every few days, gradually increasing to 200 yards and 2 sprints (with a walkout and rest in between.) The hound at week 7 should have no pain, toe should feel solidly in place, and at this point I consider the hound to be recovered and sound enough to resume normal activity, monitoring for any problems of course. Jewels has had 2 dislocated toes in the past couple of years; they both healed without incident and have never dislocated again or given her any trouble. As for my Nonnie.. He had a bad habit of diving hard on the lure as it stopped instead of letting inertia carry him past it and then circling back to "get" it at the end. He had done 2 sprints at a practice section and began limping in obvious pain. Toe was in normal position but swelled quickly, showing bruising between toes. I took a guess that he had a hairline fracture or (less likely, because the toe did not feel loosy-goosy) a sprain. I treated him pretty much the same as the schedule we followed with Jewels; he took a week or so longer before he was pain-free and I could begin his PT of massaging and stretching. that toe is healed and has not caused him any pain or lameness. Another front toe dislocated at a later date. Also healed good as new. We have strated practicing them recently (missed the 1st half of the season getting our home on the market) and their feet are looking very good so far; Non has stopped diving on the lure and nails are kept short, short , short!

I am not a vet, I did take a vet assistant training program in 2010, but I had some wonderful people give me advice on how to proceed (as well as consulting the Care of the Racing & Retired Grehound book to get some insight on a timeline to follow for the healing period and return to normal workouts.) I also am a nerd about researching things. l I have read many stories of other people's experience with a dislocated toe; and it scared me that my kids could be out of the coursing game and worse, not likely to be able to enjoy normal greyhound activity without pain, and even require toe amputation. Veterinarian intervention seemed to do nothing much to improve odds; and vets with little experience working with greyhounds or doing sports medicine had worse results still. I am happy to say that dislocated toes can and do heal well enough to allow a hound to continue doing things he loves. Maybe not always, but we are 5 for 5 toes between 2 hounds and their feet are getting stronger as well. Not to imply that a vet might not be the best choice, if an owner doesn't feel confident to do home care or the dog is in pain, difficult to handle, or at any time doesn't seem to be progressing well. You know your dog, and your vet, best. Perhaps one of the things that helped us have success with healing these injuries was the early treatment and stabilization; treated within minutes of injury before swelling could set in or ligaments remained stretched too long to snap back, risking that a toe that has been reset could dislocate again while waiting to see the vet, or even complications from a dog walking with an odd gait to avoid pain from toes...If anyone has a hound suffer a dislocation and treats at home, it's good to have the vet look teet over after healing, to assess how well the injury healed.

Edited by FullMetalFrank