Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade)

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Hi all.

Since I found out that Brady has hookworms, I've been looking for ways to disinfect my yard safely and came across this product in my research. It's all natural, but effectively kills bugs, including parasitic worms. I had planned on dusting my yard where Brady 'goes' and his bedding with it, but then I found this food grade supplement at Tractor Supply (my new favorite store) and was wondering if anyone ever heard of or have used it as a dewormer or supplement? It even kills fleas and, I think, ticks, so it might be a good idea to dust the fur with it before hiking, etc.

http://new.vetinfo.com/treating-dog-hookworm-diatomaceous-earth.html

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/red-lake-earthreg%3B-diatomaceous-earth-with-calcium-bentonite-20-lb

I would never give Brady any supplement without first discussing with his vet, but was curious if anyone else has heard of this product.

YES I have. I actually bought it for a son living in NYC for bed bugs..which is a MAJOR problem in the city. The DE bought in home depot is not safe to use indoors. after getting it, I read up on it..and read how it is used for worms. I was going to try it with my girl after she had hookworms..but did not..I don't remember why i decided against using it. After second stool sample was normal..I decided not do use it. My vet wasn't thrilled with using it. ..anyway it is safe to use in the yard and on vegetables and flowers. so if the dogs do walk through it..no problems.

I remember I was interested in using it because Missy is a dirt eater. I read that the food grade DE it used for dogs who do this.

Edited by dbullwinkel

Good thing you didn't use it because it mostly doesn't work.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It'll harm some soft-bodied insects if it's dry; not all, and I'm not sure it even harms very many. Won't do much to anything once it gets wet (if it did, imagine what it would do to the lining of your dog's stomach and intestines, which are considerably softer than a hookworm!). Not good to breathe when it's dry, food grade or not. Won't do much to any hard-bodied insect.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.