At My Wits End

Granted, not a long trip! Some background, Fletcher has never been a picky eater. About the only thing he consistently refused was organ meat, I think he didn't like the texture. He is raw fed, because of his IBD. A few weeks ago, I started having trouble with him at mealtimes. First, he quit eating the canned pumpkin that I mix his powdered Chinese meds in (he has eaten this with enthusiasm for over a year). OK, I bought a capsule filler and started giving the meds that way, in Pill Pockets. He loves Pill Pockets. Then, he started leaving his duck necks. OK, I got out the grinder, started giving him ground duck/turkey necks, which the girls already get (Saliie has few teeth and Molly is a Princess). That worked for a few days until I started having to coax him to finish. I gave in on Sunday and gave him some of the girls' kibble, which he likes and ate, but it gives him runny poop, all kibble does. His vet came yesterday, gave him acupuncture (already scheduled) and some B12 shots. Last night, he ate his regular food just great. This morning, he is back to only eating a little ground beef, some goat's milk, and a little kibble. Also this morning, for the first time, he refused his Pill Pockets. Vet took blood yesterday, results will hopefully be back today. His teeth aren't great, but not obviously sore.

So, my question is, can you think of anything other than teeth that would cause this behavior? Everything else seems normal. I am hesitant to do a dental, he is 11, but if his bloodwork comes back OK, we probably will. Any ideas for things to get him to eat? I am going to the store later to get some Ensure, maybe some cottage cheese.

I'm going through the exact same thing with Passion. Totally refusing everything that I offer. I posted in your other food thread with what I'm feeding her this week. It changes every day :(

After hundreds of dollars in tests last week- nothing wrong!

She has a dental scheduled for tomorrow (she will be 11 in Oct) and I'm already a nervous wreak. I scheduled the dental a month ago after cancelling back in Dec (Lucky had emergency surgery and I couldn't deal with more stress).

Anyway, the vet thinks she doesn't want to eat because of her back molars which will come out.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I had the same problem with Bebe, Kari and after a dental and the bad teeth were taken out, she eats great. That may be Passion's problem too. I hate doing dentals on seniors, but so far all of mine have come through fine.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I feel your pain! Goose is refusing to eat chicken right now. It is not his teeth. They look beautiful and he chews without issue. He just doesn't seem to like it if the food to too meaty or pulpy or something. He will chew it up and then spit the mess out. However, he will go to town over pork or turkey necks or duck or anything else, but chicken. Currently, I have to cut chicken backs in pieces (they get that everyday for breakfast) to get him to eat them. Driving me crazy. He will be 7 in July.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

We have the same issue albeit not with our Grey. Instead it's our Rat Terrier. Every meal is a challenge to see what she will eat and what we can coax into her. Had a vet visit last week with an internist and he found nothing wrong with her so he asked us to change her diet and we have tried: cooked turkey, raw turkey, raw beef, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, cooked salmon, canned salmon, canned dog food, peanut butter, crackers, Timbits....and on and on. It is very frustrating and feel your pain. To me a dog that won't eat or is this picky has something wrong with them but diagnosing it is a challenge.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

There could be something going on with the teeth even if it's not visible to you. You might consider a set of dental x-rays after your vet does an exam. Or if you have a veterinary dentist local to you, a consult with them won't be *that* much more expensive than an office visit and they may be able to have a better idea of there are issues without the x-rays.

If you've ruled out mouth issues, I'd consider stomach issues or other illness. If you can't find anything, it may just be age. My vet told that dogs don't digest food as well as they age. A probiotic before meals and digestive enzymes with meals might help with that.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

both of mine are raw fed as well, and they have both turned picky picky over chicken/turkey/pork necks that they used to go NUTS over!! I had no choice but to cook it all b/c I wasn't going to dump it.... once it was cooked, they both loved it again.... now my girl is back to being picky picky, so I've gone back to giving it to her raw and she's happy.... I don't know what to think, but in their old age, I'm not going to get frustrated about it... I'll just find something they do like, and give it to them until they decide they no longer like it, then find the next thing...

good luck with the dental... it may reveal some things.... it may not.... I feel your pain/anxiety over the anesthesia... :goodluck

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Well, his blood work came back perfect, so I guess we will go ahead and schedule the dental. I really do think it is a mouth/tooth issue. He has been on a probiotic and digestive enzyme, that didn't help. I know they can get pickier as they get older, but I keep thinking, he isn't that old! But, he turned 11 in March, that isn't young :(

I agree the dental is the next thing to do. Passion has her dental today. She will be 11 in Oct. OMG when did my baby get old???

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17