Missing Link

Henry had a recent bacterial infection that caused some issues with his coat- mainly dry skin and several little patches of hair loss. At the recommendation of the vet, I decided to try Missing Link. Whoa!! It's only been a week, but what a difference! His fur is noticeably softer and thicker, with no dry patches. I've never had results like these with fish oil or any other supplement. There's no telling whether or not it will help re-grow hair on his belly or butt, but I'm pleased so far. Two thumbs up.

I put my kids on Missing Link before I found out Stewart's limp was from osteo, not arthritis; the difference in him and my female greyhound even after a few days was incredible. She started acting like a 2 year old, and she is 10. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. :lol

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

which variety and are you giving any other suppliments. i do remember you posting that you buy fish oil, still using it?

I've tried a bunch of different things. First was Nutri-Vet multi-vitamin chews, then generic fish oil capsules from the drug store, then Plato Pets brand wild salmon oil. The salmon oil made decent difference but seemed to give Truman diarrhea. So right now, the only thing we're doing is the kibble and Missing Link. I got a five-pound bag of the "Ultimate Skin and Coat" formula through Amazon. It will probably last me a year.

It takes 3-6 weeks for a nutrient to make a positive difference in skin and coat, so what you're likely seeing is results from whatever you were doing previously :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Spring shed, perhaps?

By nature, skin and hair can't respond real fast, except in the case of allergens (skin can get worse or somewhat better quickly) and infections (worse quickly but takes awhile to heal).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've tried a bunch of different things. First was Nutri-Vet multi-vitamin chews, then generic fish oil capsules from the drug store, then Plato Pets brand wild salmon oil. The salmon oil made decent difference but seemed to give Truman diarrhea. So right now, the only thing we're doing is the kibble and Missing Link. I got a five-pound bag of the "Ultimate Skin and Coat" formula through Amazon. It will probably last me a year.

If memory serves, the ML is supposed to be used within a few weeks/months of opening the bag. Maybe it has changed? I'm sensitive to this because after Spencer's having a bad bacterial infection of the intestines and beaucoup problems afterward, spoilage or contamination is something I take no chances with.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

If memory serves, the ML is supposed to be used within a few weeks/months of opening the bag. Maybe it has changed? I'm sensitive to this because after Spencer's having a bad bacterial infection of the intestines and beaucoup problems afterward, spoilage or contamination is something I take no chances with.

Not to my knowledge... I know you absolutely have to keep it refrigerated though.

ETA: Their website says "for maximum effectiveness, it should be used in 90 days." So I sent customer service an email to ask what that means. I don't know if past 90 days there's a possibility it could spoil and be harmful, or if it just won't be as effective? I'm waiting for a response. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by a_daerr

• 4 weeks later...

I looked it up on Amazon - is this a powder, or a more mealy substance - what's the texture like? And do you just sprinkle it on their food? Wet or dry?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think it has molasses in it, so it'll taste sweet to your dog. (The texture--and color--made me think of brown sugar.) I used it in the past on a black dog with some skin issues, and it was very helpful. (And she'd lick it out of her bowl, even if it fell off the kibble.)

These days, everyone here has good skin and coats, but perhaps I should put my guys back on a joint formulation.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I remember using Missing Link ages ago, like back in the 90's with my first greyhounds. It was discussed on greyhound-L so I started buying it. I don't really remember how exactly it effected my dogs but I did use it for a while, (it was so long ago). It may have helped my first greyhound, he was black and did not have a very shiny coat and had some baldness. But then he changed into a very shiny sleek black beauty. May have been the ML that did the trick. I don't remember why I stopped using it.

Wonder if it can have the same effect on people. Pattern baldness is a problem for many. :P