Fractured Or Broken Tooth? (Pics)

Guest goldfishngreys

Guest goldfishngreys

Hello,

I am wondering if my dog may have fractured or broken her tooth while she was being watched by a friend for a week.

It is on the right side, the tooth right behind the canine (premolar?) I brush her teeth almost every evening and noticed the tooth was darker than the rest. The tooth behind it also has a chip at the tip which I haven't noticed before. She has been a little hesitant eating her kibble in which we slightly moisten w/water. Today I fed her and put more water and she ate it faster, less chewing.

What do you all think? TIA!

RIGHT SIDE- sorry it's a little blurry-she didn't like the flash. The yellow staining behind her teeth was when she chewed through a crate in her previous home.

RightSideI.jpg

LEFT SIDE "Normal" side

LeftSide.jpg

Yup-chipped off the enamel from her 2nd pre-molar (for accuracy purposes it's #406). Not too much you can do but, keep an eye on it for now. Your vet will need to probe that tooth and see if the pulp is exposed-if so, of course it's painful and will be prone to infection. It can be completely restored (cap) by a veterniary dentist for a minimal cost. I see your in OH-I believe OSU has a dentist.

My girl has had her 4th pre-molar (carnassial) restored-it's holding up well but, she can longer chew on hard things such as rawhides, bullysticks.....

Of course another option would be to extract the tooth. Looking at it from the photos it doesn't look to be problem at the moment.

Agree with tbhounds. The discoloration of the first premolar (one right behind the canine) may be due to damage caused by the same incident that chipped the other tooth. It may or may not develop problems in the future. A damaged tooth may be painful and will be predisposed to infection.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest goldfishngreys

My vet does dental x-rays so I'll call them Monday. She's probably in a little pain/discomfort since she is not eating well. Thanks!

Do you know if she had to be crated any while she was at your friend's? If she's not a fan of crating but it is necessary to do it, you might consider putting her muzzle on her in the crate. That's not going to reduce her stress levels any, but it may reduce her ability to hurt herself.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We just went through this with our 9 year old bulldog and have to have the tooth removed. We narrowed it down to a new toy we bought a few weeks back that she had been chewing on and some how cracked the tooth.

If it has to be removed you will notice within just a few days that she will feel much better.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest goldfishngreys

Do you know if she had to be crated any while she was at your friend's? If she's not a fan of crating but it is necessary to do it, you might consider putting her muzzle on her in the crate. That's not going to reduce her stress levels any, but it may reduce her ability to hurt herself.

They don't crate but I know they give their hounds marrow bones and bully sticks.

I sent the photos to my vet and he said in terms of pain or an abscess, he didn't see any signs to indicate so. He offered a referral to a dentist or have it preemptively extracted. She is eating her food like normal again so I will wait and see. I just purchased HP insurance so she will need to go to the vet for a wellness exam within the next 15 days, too bad it is now a preexisting condition.