How To Set Up A Camera To Monitor Your Dog?

Guest lucylei

Guest lucylei

People keep telling me, "Oh just set up a camera to watch what she does while you're away" as if it's the easiest thing in the world. Can anyone let me know how to do this? I thought of setting up a computer camera to record, but is there a way to watch the live feed online? If anyone has any experience with this, please help!

Thanks!

Guest wylie_coyote

We have used a computer web cam and skype on our iphones. need 2 skype accounts to do this and the computer is not moveable like a standalone webcam. This is a video phone service so you need to leave the computer on and setup auto answer you can hear and talk to your pups. Has been fun for us but the pups have always just been laying around not very exciting except when you scare your 17 yr old daughter who just walked in the door from school. This is the cheapest way if you already have a computer with a web cam, but maybe not the best.

A stand alone IP web camera can be purchased for around 90.00. these use your internet connection and web service to provide you with a secure like to your camera. When you login to your camera depending on model you can pan it and tilt it. Some even have mics and speakers. Pretty easy to setup and use but you may have to pay for the web service at some point? I have not actually used one of these for home. I use them at work and they are great.

Just saw your post about Fart storms I think you may want the movable IP web camera! That way you can follow her around the room.

Edited by wylie_coyote

Guest juliewicz

I also use skype. That way I can call in from wherever I am & then at work, even though I don't have a camera, I can just monitor. After reading all the papers from my adoption group on separation anxiety & hounds hurting themselves trying to get out of their crates, I freaked myself out wondering how I would know if he did? We were having some separation problems at the beginning (until I learned he just hated the crate). If I talked him off the ledge on my way to work (called from car when I got to my car & just threw my phone in the ashtray as I drove in, talked & sang to him) he seemed to settle faster.

Now he barely notices I am gone, but I still find comfort seeing him relaxed all day & get giggles from his silly poses. His track dreams make my day & am glad I don't have to miss those moments while I am gone (I'm a graphic designer so on my computer ALL day & just keep skype tucked in a corner of my monitor). My coworkers get a kick out of it often coming by to see what Zip is up to (usually sleeping). And family like to "call" Zip when I don't bring him along to see him.

He only has access to the living room/kitchen area of my house. I have a ranch condo with all rooms off a long hallway, so just close the other doors. I know if he's not up on the couch, he's laying on the rug by the sink (and can hear his heavy sighs from time to time). But if your home is more spread out or he has access to a large area, multiple web cams would probably be the only way to see that big of an area. That I can't help figure out.

Zip now knows that "somehow" I am inside this thing on the counter & occasionally comes up & looks for me or shows me a toy, so I say hi. It seems to comfort him to know I am not completely gone. He now associates the skype swooshy login sound with "mommy is coming home soon!"

Also, I read an article (my vet posted to their FB page) that watching cute animal video feeds releases dopamine. So instead of feeling neurotic like I do watching my hound sleep all day, you can say it is for your mental health! :)

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/animal-cams-why-we-cant-look-away-130403.htm

I use an IP camera, and can watch George from anywhere via my iPhone or iPad.

Saying it was easy to set up would be a LIE!

It's really easy to get the camera to work and to view inside your home. Getting it to work outside was tricky. Far too complicated to explain on Greytalk, but I purchased a Foscam and their web site has lots of helpful stuff.

It involves opening ports, arranging for a fixed IP or a service that monitors your IP for you (dyndns.org is what I use--$20 a year) and an app for your phone.

It is WAY cool, however! And now I know that I can stop feeling guilty about not paying $2,000 a year for a dog walker, 'cause when he pees, it is at totally random times and has nothing to do with being home alone for too long! I also know he rarely moves! And apparently my cats conserve their energy all day so that they can be active and alert all night...cause they NEVER come into camera range!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I inadvertantly stumbled onto a greyt way to see what they're up to for us non-tech savvy people. Its that TAGG pet tracker. It has an Activity function on it that monitors their level of activity 24/7. I love it. You can see for instance if they get up and prowl around at night (or get up and go crazy) etc. You can tell right by looking at it if they are resting or active and how active. Nothing to set up. Its a free benefit of having the tracker if you want to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TofuNifty

Also, if you want to skip setting up the IP Camera by yourself, you can use a normal webcam(s) and use iCAM. It is available via apple or android. It is 5$ for each phone/ipad you want to use but you simply download the software on your computer, set up a password, download the app to your ipad/iphone/android device, log in with the password you set up, and voila! I use 3 webcams and have paid for the app on my phone and ipad. I have it set to automatically record at motion events.

Guest rennina

We use Foscam FI8910W. It's super easy to set up if you have wi-fi. You can even download an app on your phone to pan/tilt it and to speak to your pups :)

We also use Skype. If we really want to watch them (just for the "aww" factor - fortunately, my hounds have no issues while we're out) we set up my laptop in my office, pointed toward our bedroom and DH's laptop in our bedroom, pointed toward my office. That way, we can dial into two accounts to see them from different angles, or in different rooms.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

I downloaded a free app called Presence to monitor my dog while I'm at work. I set my ipad up in front of the crate, and can watch the video via my iPhone from anywhere (works on 3G and wifi). It's very easy to use; if you have multiple Apple devices I highly recommend it!

Guest azlorenz

I have a laptop w/ wifi connected to 4 cameras. I downloaded mobiscope on both my laptop and my blackberry. I login on my blackberry and can watch them all day long. I believe you can also hook up a mic to get sound as well. I just didn't feel the need. I think it cost my a $49 one time fee and I've had it for 3 years now.

Edited by azlorenz

This camera is $45 and can pan and tilt. This is an outdoor camera for $150 and can pan, tilt and zoom. Both are wireless and are not extremely difficult to setup. I had to do some googling on port forwarding, but after that it was smooth sailing. The cameras come with there own dns service so you don't have to set that up or pay extra which is nice. They come with software to record them on a PC, but I just use them on-demand to see what my two are doing.

You don't have to be an engineer to figure them out, but you will have to do some research. They are not an "Open-Box and Work" product. For the price, you can't beat this route.

Guest TheLast13

Skype works well for me. All it needs to be focused on his Hero's bed, since he only usually moves twice during they day.

Guest johnmclaren

Why ti use a camera to see your lovely pet activities? I mean i dint get this idea. Maybe you are too busy for your business that you may not be able to afford time for your pets. If still you use that, you may use your web cam for that purpose and get her activities monitored. But that's tough too as they wont be at single place and you may install many in your home but what if she stays below your bed. Give some thought for pet sitters if you can else try out some as suggested by other members here.

Guest TheLast13

I know I just enjoy getting to watch him. Seeing him makes my day better and almost instantly makes me laugh. Its a comfort thing for me than anything else.

I downloaded a free app called Presence to monitor my dog while I'm at work. I set my ipad up in front of the crate, and can watch the video via my iPhone from anywhere (works on 3G and wifi). It's very easy to use; if you have multiple Apple devices I highly recommend it!

Wow, I just tried this out and it really works well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another solution I've used in the past (if you don't have the luxury of a couple of iOS devices) is Ustream. It's a web service and it enables you to watch from anywhere.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

• 7 months later...
Guest mark_uk

We had the same problem and wanted to keep track of our dog while we were out. I ended up getting a camera that would automatically upload to a website (dlink dcs-2210). This works really well for us. A high definition image is uploaded every minute. We ended up setting up a website for anyone who doesn't want to do the setup, www.homealonedog.co.uk . We are UK based but I believe there are companies in the US that do the same, www.cameraftp.com for example. These also have the ability to step back in time through the day so you see what has been going on. This has been entertaining for us as our dog likes to investigate anything new while we are away, to the point of ripping open boxes and jumping on tables! - we now have the evidence to prove it was him! Because the images are high def you can cover a whole room and then zoom in on what he's up to.

To the person who suggested the OP needs a dog sitter:

You're missing the point of the original poster's inquiry.

She's WORRIED about her dog and wants to see for herself what he's doing.

My dog has a mysterious bladder issue that's been ongoing for six years. I set up a camera to see if he still had SA or if it was something else.

Believe me, I'm plenty busy at work, but it takes me a minute to check on him a few times a day. My boss has cameras all over his property to do the exact same thing. Unless you work for a real jerk, people understand the desire to check up on your home/family/pets.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I found this camera on ebay and it couldn't be much easier to setup and use. It even has a microsd card slot to record video. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. It is a little pricey at $80 per camera, but you get what you pay for.

Guest BiancasMom

I got a camera at Best Buy. There is a free app I downloaded to my iPhone and now I can spy whenever I like! The brand I got is DLink. That is just what my Best Buy carries. You just have to have Wifi for it to work.

Edited by BiancasMom

i set up my webcam to see what poppy was up to while i was away, she was asleep on the couch when i left to go to the supermarket. returned two hours later. she hadn't moved. hadn't tripped the movement or sound detector. she woke up and roached for a belly rub after i turned off the webcam.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.