The Fart Storm

Guest lucylei

Guest lucylei

We're currently dealing with a case of separation anxiety. Missy, our 5-yr old adoptee, just clings to people (including the owners of the doggy daycare I took her to). After getting her food, tons of exercise, and a walk, I have started leaving her along for a few hours at a time. We just 'finished' crating because she just kept busting out of the crate. We started crating because she had been destructive and chewed a hole through the wall. Now, it seems when I leave, she works herself into a fart storm.

When I come home, she's lying against the front door and the house is just a thick haze of farts. What's worse is that I have to leave the window closed because we have a corner unit on the 4th floor and if she barks the businesses ACROSS THE STREET complain.

Does anyone else have experience with this/how to avoid it? It's not a case of general gasiness or needing to poop.

Can't help much with the separation anxiety, but supposedly adding a dollop of yogurt to their food helps keep gas manageable.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

There are tons of resources available re: separation anxiety. Run a search on the board for "separation anxiety" and "alone training" and you'll come up with help and advice.

Recent thread - http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/294957-need-help-and-advice/

Article excerpted from advice given on Greytalk - http://www.jamesrivergreyhounds.org/documents/SeparationAnxiety.pdf

A post from Never Say Never Greyhounds - greyt advice - http://www.neversaynevergreyhounds.net/separation.html

Good luck!

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Use the resources listed above for the separation anxiety. The farting is probably just another manifestation of her stress. I could never take my boy into an exciting or stressful situation and not expect to smell and hear some doggie poots.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Gas is definitely a sign of stress. Anything you try diet-wise is probably not going to make much of a difference. Keep doing the alone training on a consistent basis. You can also try Clomicalm (in combination with the training), which is an anti-anxiety medication that is specifically designed for dogs with SA. In most cases, the medication is only needed on a short-term basis.

Thank you for stopping the crate - never crate a dog that fights to get out. (you didn't say how long she has been with you.)

Use the muzzle to protect your house (and your dog).

Research how to manage SA as suggested by others here. Your problem isn't farting, it is SA. BTW a raw diet will stop the gas attack.

Also, the more walking you can do before you leave her, the better she will do. A couple of zoomies and a 30 minute walk is simply not enough for some dogs. My incredibly clingy boy waits impatiently for me to leave after his lengthy (up to two hours) morning walk so he can have a decent nap. (He has trouble napping when I am home because he has to keep an eye on me just in case I should move.) I realize most owners cannot walk this much but do as much as you can - it will help.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest HHHounds

One of mine does the fart thing. Just after the stress has passed, here comes the gas! His hound butt is usually aimed in my direction!

Mine just farts. Farts when she's sleeping, farts when she's happy, farts when she's stretching..... you get the idea. I've gotten them less with our new dog food combo that we've switched her to (just have to put up with fishy breath).

I'm going to try the yogurt ... does it make a difference between greek, regular or probiotic? We usually have the regular boring kind but wanted to make sure before handing out the goodies :)

-pj

Guest OPointyDog

Bear in mind that some dogs are lactose intolerant, in which case you want to try a probiotic (like FortiFlora or a human one) rather than yogurt....

Guest Eyeblaura

Stress brings out the deadly farts in Enzo too. However he used to have paint peeling gas all the time. He had a bought of HGE and did a round of flagyl and afterwards we switched foods and used a probiotic to help get his gut back in order and the difference in the amount of stinking gas has been amazing. He rarely stinks us out anymore. I don't know if it was the food switch, the flagyl, or the probiotic but our house is much less stinky now. We had tried yogurt previously to no avail. I bought an animal probiotic at a local pet store.