Giardia!

I dropped off a once-yearly stool sample to the vet's on Thursday for Truman. It's included with our yearly wellness exam and heartworm test. Apparently, he has giardia! The vet is going to treat both of our guys with Panacur. I'm shocked though, because he has absolutely no symptoms. Anybody ever deal with this? It's likely he picked it up at a dog park, but now I'm wondering if I should be more careful about him drinking water outside. Poor Truman.

Giardia is everywhere. Don't beat yourself up. In a park situation, better for them to drink from a clean dish and clean water you brought than a puddle or shared water bucket, but there's only so much you can do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

My bridge girl Piaget tested positive for Giardia without any symptoms. The main thing I remember is that her vet at the time seemed surprised and told me that it's something you usually see in younger dogs (puppies), and Piaget was 6 or 7 at the time. For some reason I want to say that her bird poop eating might have been a factor, but it's been long enough that I'm not sure I remember that correctly. We treated her and did not have any other issues.

The dog I adopted from the shelter had giardia, and so did Mister Bigglesworth when he arrived from the breeder! Mister B. had no symptoms at all, but I had to treat three cats AND the dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We picked Ryder up and he was diagnosed with this at his first checkup! I was floored. Had to treat both him and Kasey just in case he caught it during the one week he was with us. Keep up with treatment, try to avoid going to other people's houses to visit (we didn't visit my mom for a month just in case he pooped in the grass and then her dog caught it - it is highly contagious we were told). We actually never took Ryder to go to the bathroom in the same place twice during any of our walks to try to avoid "recontamination".

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 9 months later...

Mr. Spock was just diagnosed with Giardia. Same as you, I took his poop in for his annual exam and got a call back a few days later. He showed showed no signs, no loose or slimy stools, but he did have very smelly gas. I have him on Panacur for 6 days. then he gets checked again I hope it goes away. Washing his beds covers now, keeping his bum clean and poop bags well away from the house. FYI he turned 5 years old last November. I'll keep y'all up to date on his progress.

Best of luck Truman

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest Houston1219

Best of luck to you and your pup! Keep in mind that giardia can be transmitted from dog to human. Protect yourself as well!

Panacur once now, and again in two weeks.

Are you just doing a single dose of Panacur now and again in 2 weeks? Everything I read says that you have to treat with at least a 3-5 day course of Panacur. In persistent cases, you can use Panacur and metronidazole together. And apparently it's not unusual to have chronic cases that don't clear with treatment, and there are parasitologists who believe that Giardia can almost be normal flora in some dogs. If no symptoms, some recommend treating once or twice, and then not worrying about it even if the dog continues to test positive.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg