Night Time Barking

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo has taken to barking his fool head off almost nightly and we can't figure out why. He rarely barks. He barks and spins when we ask if he wants to go for a walk or on the rare occasion the kids have intruded on his personal space more than he likes. But lately after the kids are in bed, he's been fed, walked and we are settling down for the night he will stand in the middle of the family room and bark. He doesn't seem to be barking at anyone or anything. I usually call him over and tell him to shush and love on him and then he goes and lays down and sleeps.

Anyone else's dog do this? At this point I feel like he is yelling at us. Like one of the kids vying for some undivided attention and love.

Guest Addie

My girl Addie would do that when we lived in the country. I'm almost positive that she could hear animals out and about that I could not (and London did not care one way or another)

Does he want to be put to bed?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

... I usually call him over and tell him to shush and love on him and then he goes and lays down and sleeps....

this probably re-enforces the behaviour.

millie only barked twice in her life. both times she stood straight up and let loose a single bark late at night, i suspect one of the local foxes had run thru the courtyard.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Eyeblaura

this probably re-enforces the behaviour.

millie only barked twice in her life. both times she stood straight up and let loose a single bark late at night, i suspect one of the local foxes had run thru the courtyard.

You are probably right but with a 2 and 6 year old I can't ignore him and let him continue and chance him waking them up. I treasure the quiet of the night when they are asleep!