Uber Itchy Hound

Guest RMarie

Guest RMarie

Is anyone else's hound uber itchy right now? James is finishing up his latest round of antibiotics for a staph infection. We just gave him a bath on Sunday with the Rx shampoo (benzoyl peroxide). That stuff has always dried him out but he's never been this itchy before. We adopted him last August so this is our first spring/summer with him. I know DH's allergies are acting up, so perhaps James is having seasonal allergies, too?

Guest BuckeyeAmy

My dogs occasionally have dry skin as well. I've found that a half teaspoon of pure Argan oil massaged into their coats while they're still wet after a bath really helps. I also use 100% shea butter on elbows and bare butts. Works great! Both products are natural.

One of mine was really itchy this spring. I was wondering about allergies, but I also noticed he had a lot of dry dead skin when I scratched him and lots of fur was shedding. So, he had a special spa treatment. :-) I gave him a really good brushing all over with a boar bristle brush. I couldn't believe how much dry flakey skin there was and lots of fur. Then I gave him a bath with Buddy Wash, which I think is pretty gentle. I really rubbed him up and a lot of fur came off. While he was still wet I rubbed olive oil (I'm sure I used at least a total of 1/4 cup) pretty much every where, especially in the extra itchy areas, and let it sit a few minutes. Then I put a conditioner on over the olive oil, it will actually lift away a lot of the olive oil, and rinsed with warm water. His lower back was still a little thick with the olive oil, I put a lot in that area. But, by the next day or so it wasn't oily. All of this made a HUGE improvement in his itchiness and there was hardly any dry skin or shedding fur left. Plus, he looked awesome. I've given him one other regular bath since then because he got really dirty rolling in dirt. It's been a few weeks since the spa treatment and I still tell the difference. :-)

Guest RMarie

May seem like a silly question but, are you sure you rinsed him properly?? Also, another thing to remember is when bathing him try to use only luke warm water. Is your guy on any antihistamines or omega 3's??

Oh no, we know that's not a silly question. We didn't get him rinsed well enough bath before last, so we ended up having to put him back in the tub. We did lots of extra rinsing on Sunday, but perhaps there is still residue. And no, he's currently not on any antihistamines or omega 3's. We had him on fish oil pills several months ago, but he has on again/off again issues with poop so we eliminated them from his diet and have not yet re-incorporated.

I'm sure giving him a bath every week doesn't help, particularly with shampoo designed to dry him out. We'll try either olive oil or a conditioner after his next bath. If he's still itchy, I guess we'll move on to antihistamines.

Does he need a bath every week? Oops, just saw re the staph infection. Never mind .... :)

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest RMarie

Does he need a bath every week? Oops, just saw re the staph infection. Never mind .... :)

:bath We've given him so many baths recently, we're considering designing a rubber greyhound.

Rubber greyhound, you're the one!

Guest RMarie

Well, I went to Target today to pick up some dog food and browsed the pet grooming products. We won't be bathing James again until Sunday at the earliest, but I wanted to find something that might provide him with a little relief. I almost got some hydrocortisone spray, but instead I found some I :heart Pet Head blueberry muffin spray shampoo. Amongst other ingredients, it also contains aloe. The directions say to spray liberally on dry skin, then towel dry. I did what it said and I'm pleased to report that I haven't seen James scratch once since applying it about 2 hours ago. He also smells really nice. But after I toweled him off, he did zoomies on the couch. :shakefinger

Edited by RMarie

For some reason, zoomies on the couch after a bath is required behavior. Except my boy used to do it on my bed: zoom around the house, leap onto my bed, flop down and wiggle on his back, then repeat. And it wasn't just a matter of him still being damp from his bath because he never did it when he got wet in the rain.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest lucylei

Mine's super itchy and it was breaking my heart when she would go crazy biting herself. The vet recommended some oil treatment that did nothing except for make her smell good. A few people at the park recommended fish oil. She's been taking it for 2 weeks and no more itchiness! Still pretty flaky, but not itchy at least. Also, be careful about what shampoo you use. Everything but the most bio shampoos make Missy super itchy and flaky, as well as losing more hair than normal.