Bleeding Non Stop, May Need Stitches ?

Guest Mitsunari

Guest Mitsunari

Hey folks,

My fiancé & I woke up to find blood on our floor and Hoshi's bed. We do not know how this happened but he has a cut in a V shape, skin flap near his foot, his front foot ankle to be precise. We have use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound. Tied a cottage rag around his cut but hasn't stopped bleeding. Went through two rags folded 4 times leaking through. It has been 4 hours discoverying/cleaning his cut. Is there any way I can make the bleeding stop ? I remember when I got my wisdom teeth pulled and my gums couldn't stop bleeding, I put a tea bag where they pulled my wisdom tooth and it made it stop bleeding within an hour. Would this be a possible option ?

My fiancé is a surgical tech but would be home soon on his lunch break to see how bad Hoshi condition is. I want to get the bleeding under control before my fiancé comes home.

If it hasn't stopped after 4 hours, it's time to go to the vet.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Well, sometimes corn starch works, if you have any. Styptic powder, but I think it stings. If he is bleeding for so long, I would think a vet visit would be in order before it gets late and you have to pay e vet prices.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest FawnFan

Not trying to tell you what to do or not do, if I were in your shoes though I'd be on my way to the Vet asap! To me, 4 hours seems like a very long time for there to be bleeding. Sometimes greyhounds have a blood clotting disorder and need additional medical assistance. I hope you are able to figure out a solution very soon.

Good luck and hope you can get medical assistance soon. Keep us posted,

Jean

I'd go to the vet.

What usually works for normal bleeding is firm (not hard) direct pressure for 3-5 minutes.

For future reference, it's usually best not to use hydrogen peroxide on a wound as it can damage good tissue -- it's just too strong (it *is* good for cleaning the fur/skin *around* a wound). Flushing well with dilute Nolvasan solution or plain water is best; if very dirty, you can use mild soap and rinse very well with water.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Are his gums looking very pale from the blood loss? Is he acting stressed or normal? Either way I'd get him to the vet. Even if it stopped bleeding it might not take much to make it start up again.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I vote vet too if he's still bleeding. Sunshine had a small cut on her leg that just would not clot after a few hours. We eventually went to the vet and they just super glued it. But it was a very tiny cut and a very slow blood drip. For anything soaking through a single rag I would be off to the vet.

------

Jessica

Guest Mitsunari

Thanks everyone for the response. Our vet is out of town until Tuesday. We are going to call the vet we were recommended by our adoption coordinator. Right now we got medical supplies and applied pressure along with a pressure bandage. Going to let it sit for abit and will check the bandage. So far I do not see any blood leaking through, good sign so far. We are giving Hoshi plenty of water and food. He is acting normal being treated as a prince getting royal treatment.

I will keep everyone posted when I change his pressure bandage.

Guest june

When trying to get a cut to stop bleeding do NOT remove the bandage you already have in place, but put additional bandages on top. Removing the bandage can take away any blood clotting that may have started. I agree with everyone else. If I couldn't get it to stop bleeding I'd go to the vet.

When trying to get a cut to stop bleeding do NOT remove the bandage you already have in place, but put additional bandages on top. Removing the bandage can take away any blood clotting that may have started. I agree with everyone else. If I couldn't get it to stop bleeding I'd go to the vet.

Yes!

Just keep putting bandages on top of the old ones.

And, if necessary, keep firm pressure on it for quite a while.

How is he tonight??

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

Welcome to the wonderful world of thin-skinned dogs! :gh_face Greyhound skin can rip on just about anything. If your dog does have a clotting problem, it is best to find out now with a relatively minor wound, rather than when something major happens or when he needs surgery.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest Mitsunari

Hey folks.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep in mind to keep the pressure bandage & to re-wrap over it on if we have another accident.

Hoshi is doing great ! Bleeding has stopped. He is acting normal. He does not show any pain on his hurt front foot, he is able to walk on it just fine.

This is our 1st injury with our 1st greyhound. What an experience it has been.

I appreciate all the advice on this forum, it has been very helpful ! Thanks again everyone for your help.