Legs' Heart - Update Post 40

:goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Any news?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How is Legs doing?

Nadia was diagnosed with DCM at age five. She saw a cardiologist who put her on Enalapril and digoxin (both human meds). Subsequently, she had an annual cardio checkups (including an echo cardiogram). Over time she was either stable or showed some imrovement. I lost her at 13 - not to her heart, but to cancer.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Well, Legs stumped us all :blink: My vet called me yesterday afternoon saying that 3 different techs took him out running & they were all about to faint, but Legs was fine :lol I went there so a tech & I could take him to a nearby dog park, thinking that would definitely do the trick. This dog has not run in at least 6 months & is never outside during the heat of the day. He cruised around the dog park in the hot sun with a thick neoprene vest & had NO problems. :riphair Of course, this is good, but we won't know what is happening when he does have an episode. He is still wearing the heart monitor vest for a few more hours here at home. I am going to take him on one last walk & then we send it in for results. I'm sure it did record some useful info, but it is so frustrating! I swear my vet thinks I have munchausen :lol (kidding, she's seen him on video multiple times, & of course saw his heart on the u/s). I just don't understand how it can be so random & never happens when he is at the vet. I am wondering if adrenaline is having an effect, or something.

How is Legs doing?

Nadia was diagnosed with DCM at age five. She saw a cardiologist who put her on Enalapril and digoxin (both human meds). Subsequently, she had an annual cardio checkups (including an echo cardiogram). Over time she was either stable or showed some imrovement. I lost her at 13 - not to her heart, but to cancer.

Wow, this is so great to hear. Thank you!!!

And thank you all so much for checking in on Leggy. I really appreciate it. :heart

Edited by RileysLegacy

question - he has large square stickers on his naked chest that the wires were attached to. i can't get them off! i think last time they were way smaller. i tried wetting them, and then i tried oil. they are really on there good & since he has no hair it is just thin delicate skin. how can i get them off??

DDD25CD6-C6FA-47A8-AE87-AD46698E4088-270

he's a tired pup! :heart

Vet should be able to give you some adhesive remover if need be. BUT oil (corn, olive, canola, peanut) usually works, just takes some time. I glop on just enough not to drip on the furniture, right along the edge, and kind of rub it in along the edge, let sit for a few minutes, then should be able to peel a little. Glop some more oil on where it's still attached to the skin, rub a bit, let sit a few minutes ..... Repeat repeat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Vet should be able to give you some adhesive remover if need be. BUT oil (corn, olive, canola, peanut) usually works, just takes some time. I glop on just enough not to drip on the furniture, right along the edge, and kind of rub it in along the edge, let sit for a few minutes, then should be able to peel a little. Glop some more oil on where it's still attached to the skin, rub a bit, let sit a few minutes ..... Repeat repeat.

thanks so much, that does work. but I only managed to get 2 of 6 off so far :( He kept yelping & there is even a small cut where one corner was especially stuck. This is awful. I put a lot of goop around the edges & will try again in the morning.

I would also muzzle him when trying to remove those just in case. The only time our angel Charlie ever showed any aggression was when we were trying to remove the pain bandage after his amp and it was stuck. He gave a quick snap but did not get us so it was only a warning but we learnt quickly. We used peanut butter to remove that one in the end.

I am glad that Legs did well but also understand the frustration of not knowing....what a boy he is!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BleuDog

I'm looking when I am at work, reading, and LOTS of Prayer......

Legs looks & acts like a Very Silly Boy........and LOVES You like Crazy....

Keep up the good work with Legs, and we (GTers) and many of his other Fans will send those White Lights and Greyt Vibrations........

What a boy! You just never know. Reminds me of my Dad's A-fib. He went for monthly checkups complete with EKG after experiencing a TIA with A-fib and not once in 12 months was there any evidence of recurrence. I took him to another cardiologist and it was evident from the start.

Praying that Legs remains stable and the meds do everything they are meant to do.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update! Something happened to the lab computer so my vet just got his test results. Even without recording an episode, the report found that in addition to DCM he also has increased ventricular premature contraction (VPC) & increased super ventricular tachycardia (SVT) :( :( He is now going to take Sotalol in addition to the Vetmedin to see if it helps.

eta - I have no idea what any of this means. So anyone with experience I would love to know anything you can tell me.

Edited by RileysLegacy

:( I hope the meds help.

I'm not that knowledgeable about heart stuff. Hope someone else can explain more than "not working properly."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lucy, I am sorry to read of Legs latest diagnosis. Our Jack had a series of heart troubles that were similar and I hope the meds work for your boy. I know heart issue can be managed for some time so I'll be sending good thoughts for you both.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lucy, please give Legs a gentle hug & kiss from me. Traveler had heart problems but they got so bad in a matter of days that he didn't even get to try the meds before running to the bridge so I will keep Legs in my prayers that he does better.

I have no experience, but I recognize a boy devoted to his Mom when I see one. The meds have to work. Praying for both of you.

How is he feeling??

Finally an update! Something happened to the lab computer so my vet just got his test results. Even without recording an episode, the report found that in addition to DCM he also has increased ventricular premature contraction (VPC) & increased super ventricular tachycardia (SVT) :( :( He is now going to take Sotalol in addition to the Vetmedin to see if it helps.

eta - I have no idea what any of this means. So anyone with experience I would love to know anything you can tell me.

Short answer - the heart chambers are beating out of rhythm. I'll get really basic cuz I don't know who knows what when it comes to medicine. There are four chambers to the heart, two upper chambers, the atria, contract in unison to push blood in to the two ventricles. The ventricles beat while the atria relax and they force blood to the lungs and body. His ventricles are not getting the correct signals from the nodes (sort of little bundles of nerves) in the heart that pace them: they're beating too fast, almost like spasming, meaning they're not completely full when the push blood out to the body - causing his fatigue - his muscles aren't getting the required blood supply. There are meds that can increase the force of his heart contractions to get more blood circulating. If he were human they'd likely consider a pacemaker or ablation of the malfunctioning part of the node. I don't know if they do those procedures in vet medicine.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana