And indeed it darned well does, but animal behavioural 'science' is notorious for not seeing what you actually see because it's not listed in the initial trial description and therefore 'lacking in relevance'. Having been raised on a diary farm with hundreds of cows over the years of all ages and then going on to take a Zoology degree I was amazed at how wrong they were getting it.

Peggy actually can be cussed. If I'm in the middle of cooking with things on the stove or in the oven going 'critical' I do not want to have to let the dog out and watch what she's up to, yet this is the very time she insists upon it. She knows I can't keep the same amount of eye upon her and so the zoomies lead to digging. Back she comes indoors panting and looking as pleased as punch with herself. Exactly like a kid who's just got away with something :hehe

herehere! well said!

-pj

Guest june

If you leave infrequently, this can contribute to the problem. All is going along nicely - according to her view of the world - and suddenly, for no reason, she is abandoned.

She probably gets terribly anxious and dogs have just a few things they can do about that: they can howl/bark/whine, they can chew something (either your furniture etc or themselves) or they can pee or poop. These are all known to be anxiety-based behaviours in this situation. Some also develop other self-calming patterns of behaviour like circling, but those are the usual three options open to an anxious dog.

You can help by doing some 'alone' training. A search of this forum should turn up a lot of threads with detailed instructions, but if you can't find them, ask and someone will write them out again. I don't have time this morning (have to go out).

You will need to reinforce the training regularly, since you don't leave her often - or else make a point of leaving her for short periods more regularly. :)

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT yell at her or otherwise punish her for doing this. It will only make her more anxious and the whole situation is likely to get worse.

If you catch her in the act, you can say 'NO!' or give a sharp 'Uh-Uh!' and take her outside to finish off, then praise her for doing so. But never punish after the event.

Give this a try. It can help wonders!

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but my understanding is that greyhounds are given their own possessions and don't have to share. For example, they are fed in their kennel and do not have to worry about anyone taking food from them, or sleeping with them, etc. while in their kennel.

Kathleen Gilley's article says that they don't have to share their food... That's not really what I meant by a 'possession.' I'm referring to toys, bones, kongs, chewies, etc. Therefore, when they are finally introduced to those kinds of items in a home setting, it creates a basis for hoarding and resource guarding behaviors.

Kathleen Gilley's article says that they don't have to share their food... That's not really what I meant by a 'possession.' I'm referring to toys, bones, kongs, chewies, etc. Therefore, when they are finally introduced to those kinds of items in a home setting, it creates a basis for hoarding and resource guarding behaviors.

They do get bones in many kennels and they don't have to share (and they are never taken away while the dog in in his crate). In spite of that, they still sometimes "fuss" at their neighbor. The kennel is very noisy - with lots of chewing and an occasional "grump".

When they get home, the rules they have known go out the window - as you say.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg