Panting Last Night

Last night Henry the AKC hound was not his normal self. As he lay in bed, he panted and panted, his gums were bright red, his skin where it can be seen, like on his underbelly, was bright pink, too. I did not take his temp, but he felt quite warm. I should say that to me, greyhounds always do feel warm, but last night he felt even more so. In the night he went into the bathroom, which has a cool floor, and slept there for several hours. By morning, he was back in bed, and the panting had stopped. It did get rather warm last night, but the bedroom was comfortable, and definitely not hot. He ate his breakfast well this morning, and everything seemed fine. I am worried because I remember very well that Polly did a lot of panting in her last few months, and because I read that this can be an indication that the dog is in pain. As far as I could see, Henry was not in pain. Any ideas?

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

At first the temperature in the room was 76 degrees Fahrenheit; I lowered it after a while to 74. That shouldn't have been uncomfortable for him, surely? The other greys didn't seem to be affected by the heat.

Abraham Lincoln

It depends on the dog. Some are very sensitive to the heat. Fletcher will definitely pant if it gets above the low 70's, and for some reason, it is worse at night. The girls are fine, not bothered at all. I don't know why it is worse in the evening, but for Fletcher anyway, it is.

Yeah, 76 sounds rather hot. One of my friends has a dog that's legitimately heat intolerant and starts slowing down when the weather is above 60 degrees.

Especially if Henry was used to AC in his last home, it might take him some time to get used to the temp. Maybe try a spray bottle with ice water to cool him off.

Well, we can certainly keep the house a bit cooler if it makes a difference for poor Henry. He was NOT a happy dog last night. And today, the temperature outside appears to have risen close to 90 degrees. I will reset the thermostats tonight and see how that goes. From everything I have heard, Henry used to live in a kennel attached to the house of his handler, and I would be surprised to hear that it even had AC. Massachusetts can get pretty hot in the summer. Thanks, everybody, for your reports about the temps your hounds prefer -- I feel very reassured!

Abraham Lincoln

At present, my thermostat is set at 74 degrees. It's 84 outside. And Sam is lying 3 feet in front of a box fan that's roaring like crazy. He's been panting more this year than in prior years. (He's 13.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Desi is another that hates the heat. He's happy as a clam at 40, but just a regular walk in the 60's & he's panting like a freight train.

This is ok in the winter.....I keep the thermostat just a tick above 60 & save on the gas bill, but the a/c in the summer kills me.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest elizabeth7418

I'm glad Addy isn't the only heat-intolerant hound! We adopted her in January, and ilke a lot of you said, she was perfectly content in the cold weather. Now that it's warmed up (it's been in the upper 80's the past few days), she's not very happy (but LOVES laying on the floor...our first floor is all ceramic tile). We used to keep the air at about 78 degrees in the summer, but it's looking like 73 is her magic number. For some reason, our bedroom is SUPER hot year-round even with the air on, so she's warmer at night than during the day.

I have the stats set at 70 tonight -- we will see how that works. I can turn off the AC downstairs when we go up to bed. When I got home from work tonight, Henry and Fred played with such gusto in the backyard that they both were panting like engines when they came in, and Henry flopped on the ceramic tile as though he would never move again! Fred at least made it to his favorite bed. Kimba came out on the deck to watch, but is too much the lady to join in such roughhousing!

Abraham Lincoln

Last night, with the AC at 70, Henry panted much less. He does like to lie down on cool bare floors, though -- at some point he decamped from the bed and went into the bathroom which has a cool tile floor. Eventually he returned. I am glad it was just an ambient temperature issue. 70 degrees is pretty chilly!

Abraham Lincoln