'slow K' For Cramps?

Hello all - I'm still looking for solutions to Sid's ongoing pain issues. He's on Onsior 40mg plus Tramadol, 100mg twice daily, but he still gets cramps along his back.

Had him out in the park today, just a very short walk, with a long lie down on a blanket while Jeffie and DH went off for a while. In the short distance we did walk, he was doing OK till he suddenly cramped up and fell on his backside. I massaged his back, and then supported his stump and gently stretched out his hind leg a couple of times and he trotted (hopped!) off sound.

His trainer called in tonight and I told her about it. She thought for a minute and suggested something called Slow K. It's a potassium supplement she gives her racers, and she thinks it would help Sid.

Does anyone have any insights? I'm always a bit wary of skewing their electrolytes/essential minerals.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I used to give my first greyhound Ivy an electrolyte supplement(included K(potassium)) with my vets approval due to her running with me in the summer. She would also get a pinch of bicarb with it. I don't believe it would hurt him as long as you didn't go overboard. If he's one of her former racers and she uses it he may have had it before and may need it. I know it is a peculiar thing sometimes. Horses "tie up" get thumps etc. and one line of thought is that its even genetically influencedbut nobody really knows for sure why. When I first adopted Ivy she had cramps-not as bad as your boy- but painful. However they got less and less often and eventually went completely away as she progressed in her retirement. Hugs to your boy. Maybe he'll get better like Ivy did and they'll just go away!

Thanks for the input! Yes, he's one of her former racers (used to be a favourite), so he may have had it, but she'd probably have said if so.

He didn't used to get them, it's only as he's aged and got stiffer. :( I think he pulled something some months ago and it really threw him off. He has so little chance of resting a muscle being a tripod.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop