Natrual Remedies For Allergies?

Guest HeatherLee

Guest HeatherLee

So my poor hound has mild allergies. He'll sneeze a few times outside, but he doesn't get itchy feet or any rash or hives (thank god).. I've just noticed that his eyes are itchy and goopy (but not anything excessive or obviously I would be asking a vet) and his ears seem to be bothering him too... it's not something that seems to irritate him terribly and it has gone away when I gave him benadryl. However Benadryl knocks him out so I don't even want to try zyrtec. Has anyone ever used nettles for their dogs allergies with any success? (as an internal supplemental antihistamine) and can anyone recomend a good eye drop? thanks!

Locally made honey is what my vet likes. I would still suggest a vet check just to make sure there's nothing more than allergies going on.

Editing to add: After reading Alicia's post below me I remembered my vet also suggests zirtec in combination with the local honey. He is not big on pushing expensive prescription stuff and is a fan of zirtec.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Have one of mine on generic Reactine (not sure what the US equivalent is; active ingredient is Cetirizine Hydrochloride). It does not cause drowsiness.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest HeatherLee

I'd rather not try zyrtec ( or cetirizine) because chances are if benadryl knocks him out that zrtec will too. Heck they both knock me out really bad. And the side effects are too great. Honey unfortunately doesn't work. People and dogs are mostly allergic to windborne pollen which is different from the pollen bees carry. Honey has beneficial vitamins and enzymes which help the immune system but most scientific evidence I've suggests that honey for allergies doesn't actually work because of the pollens its made from. (From my own research and several goos allergy doctors) I am taking him to the vet anyways.

Edited by HeatherLee

I take Zyrtec with no drowsiness. My dogs have taken it, too. And with no side effects.

Meanwhile, keep his ears clean. You can take a dry cotton ball, put it in his ear and massage the ear from the outside, then remove the cotton ball and see if that gets out excess moisture. (If the dry cotton ball actually pulls out gunk, talk to your vet.) And please don't clean his ears before a vet visit; let the vet see what might be there.

For eyes, just use an "eye wash"--basically, a saline solution like people use.

Note that honey is beneficial for a number of issues. It may not help with a specific airborne pollen, but it can't hurt for that and can help for general health. Phoenix is getting a lot of grass pollen right now (also mulberry and mesquite), so do the practical things: limit time outside, don't linger on bare grass (when I've taken the dogs out for a length of time, I take a blanket for them to lie on on the grass), wipe your boy down when you come back inside (baby wipe or damp paper towel). I've had dogs with grass allergies: the telltale signs were redness between the toes on the bottom of their feet (with some excessive foot-licking), and a rash visible on bare areas of their chests if they laid in grass. Benedryl will clear up the rash and itchiness--and a nap won't hurt.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

airconditioning in house and car- NO OPEN WINDOWS IN THE CAR-, air purifier, vacuume daily and wipe him down w/ a damp wash cloth from head to toe when he comes in. removing the pollen will help somewhat. i see that you are in arizona, so spraying him down w/ a hose is not that unreasonable. no soap, just water. i had great success during the fall months w/ my hairy welsh terrier who used to react to environmental allergins, hosed him down daily and no more skin problems. also check out pollen.com and see what's brewing in your neck of the woods, the season has either started or is progressing. i did get used to zyrtec, i use it daily. administer it at night,dinner time or so and you won't notice a difference in the house. histime levels are the highest in the morning and so is the pollen count. but when one goes off of an antihistime thier system goes ballistic and the histimes have a party, usually that happens after a long term user(such as myself) tries going cold turkey.