What Is This? Mast Cell?

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

I noticed a little pink lump on my girls toe last night, I honestly thought it was a tiny bit of bubblegum stuck on her foot. She doesn't like me to pick at or touch her feet, so I left it alone and never gave it anohter thought. I just got home from work and noticed it. It is over double in size what it was yesterday, it looks like two lumps now and her toe is swollen to almost double in size. My first thought was mast cell. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if I can get it checked Monday, if it is much worse I will make a way to get it checked Monday, otherwise will wait until Tuesday.

Honestly, I am more than a bit concerned about it.

It is definitely NOT an insect bite or sting, it is a "tumor" of some kind. That with the fact the toe is so swollen is very concerning to me.

DSCN0370_zps53cbbf8a.jpg

There's a possibility of Mast cell but it could also be a histiocytoma. They look pretty much exactly alike until you look at the cells under the scope. the mast cells have a lot more purple granules in the cytoplasm. Tuesday will likely be fine unless it's size starts to be an issue for her to get around or something.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I'm sure no one can tell for sure by looking, but Twiggy had something that looked similar. Sent out a biopsy and it turned out to be a plasmacytoma. (do NOT google that without the word canine in the search... ask me how I know...) considered benign. Twiggy's oncologist told me these often go away by themselves once a biopsy is taken, and that is exactly what happened. Over a year later, it is completely gone, and you'd never know it's there.

(btw, Twiggy already had an oncologist for her other cancer - I would've just gone to her regular vet for this otherwise).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Definitely get it checked out and aspirated. It might just be a histiocytoma or plasmacytoma that will go away on it's own, but the swelling of the toe makes me concerned too. In case it's a MCT, it won't hurt to start her on Benedryl as tbhounds suggested, and you can also give Pepcid too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest LittleGreys

I sent an email to one of my vets. He said to try benadryl. I think I am out of it here at home, so I will go get some. He said not to panic yet, he knows me too well, LOL. This girl is so very special to me, and he knows that, too!

I sent an email to one of my vets. He said to try benadryl. I think I am out of it here at home, so I will go get some. He said not to panic yet, he knows me too well, LOL. This girl is so very special to me, and he knows that, too!

Fingers crossed for you. When getting the Benadryl remember not to get anything with a decongestant in it-get just plain Benadryl (generic is ok). Keep us posted ok??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LittleGreys

Update, this "thing" rapidly got larger, and then out of the blue, started to bleed. And I mean BLEED. I wrapped it, but it would start bleeding again as soon as unwrapped. Things went from bad to worse and we were forced to amputate the toe. That was done Wednesday. She is doing pretty well, better than I expected as far as getting around, but her remaining toes are very swollen as is part of the hock. Pitting edema always scares me. I hope to have the pathology report back in the next couple of days. Due to the severe bleeding and I am wondering if it is a hemangiosarcoma.

Yikes! Hope your pup heals up well and it is just a weird and nasty benign histio.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ivy had something on her ear tip and you talk about bleed-wow. After a lot of treatment we had to amputate that portion of the ear. That was the end of it. Blessed relief. One vet had recommended that from the very first but I was reluctant to do it and went to another vet that tried to treat it. I wish now I had of listened to the first vet and cut that bad piece off from the gitgo as it would have saved a lot of hassle for us both and we ultimatelly had to do it anyway and it was such a little piece it was barely even noticable if at all. So based on my experience you have done the right and best thing and your girl will be A-OK and won't be bothered with it again.

Guest LittleGreys

Finally got the pathology report back today. It was squamous cell carcinoma. It had invaded the surrounding tissue. Good news is that the excision was complete and the report says there is very little chance of recurrence or metastisis. Yay!! Razz is healing very well from the amputation. Still some swelling, but nothing major. We are 10 days post surgery and she doesn't even limp on that foot. MUCH better recovery than I anticipated. I love this girl!! :beatheart

Yow! Good thing you got it off, and glad she is healing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending healing thoughts!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown