Sooo...how Much Chicken/pasta To Feed?

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Ok, so I'm going to try giving Brady a bland diet over the weekend to see if his stools firm up. I'm just not sure how much to give him. He's 78 lbs and I've been giving him two cups of kibble in the morning and two in the evening.

Any suggestions?

Guest OPointyDog

You could use one of the online calculators to figure out how many calories your dog needs, and then calculate how many calories are in the food you're giving him.

I just went through this process with our dog, who is getting a diet of boiled hamburger and rice. He needed about 1100 calories per day (he's 68 lbs) to maintain weight, but I give him more since he's very thin. Rice is 200 calories per cup, and boiled hamburger is about 50 calories per ounce for lean beef... So I give him 10 oz of beef per day (500 calories) and about 3 to 4 cups of rice (600-800 calories).

Looking at the caloric content of pasta, it varies a lot by type, so you'll have to do some googling to find the type you use. Or just look at the box! :chow

Guest AngelPup

You could use one of the online calculators to figure out how many calories your dog needs, and then calculate how many calories are in the food you're giving him.

I just went through this process with our dog, who is getting a diet of boiled hamburger and rice. He needed about 1100 calories per day (he's 68 lbs) to maintain weight, but I give him more since he's very thin. Rice is 200 calories per cup, and boiled hamburger is about 50 calories per ounce for lean beef... So I give him 10 oz of beef per day (500 calories) and about 3 to 4 cups of rice (600-800 calories).

Looking at the caloric content of pasta, it varies a lot by type, so you'll have to do some googling to find the type you use. Or just look at the box! :chow

Great! Thanks for the information!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AngelPup

If I'm putting a dog on bland for a couple days - I'm far less technical than others - I give what looks like the same volume of bland as regular food. I don't worry too much about calories if it's only a day or 2.

Thanks--I think I'd do the same thing if it were only a day or two. Brady was on the bland diet exclusively for a few days to see if his stool firmed up and then I started adding his kibble very slowly over several days, so I wanted to be sure he was getting enough, but not too much.

Guest AngelPup

They did start to firm up, but then went back to pudding poo. We found out he has hook worms, so that was the reason for the diarrhea. He's still being treated for them--they are NASTY buggers!

• 9 months later...

They did start to firm up, but then went back to pudding poo. We found out he has hook worms, so that was the reason for the diarrhea. He's still being treated for them--they are NASTY buggers!

How did you find out about the hook worms? How are they treating them? My boy, Max, has been battling diarrhea for a few weeks, and we're at our wits end. The vet gave us a broad-spectrum dewormer and some antibiotics, to no avail. I suspect that the dewormer would take care of the hook worms, but maybe I'm missing something?

Depending on the type of worms, you may have to de-worm more than once a few weeks apart.

As far as the bland diet, I usually find that its easier on the tummy to go to 4 smaller feedings a day than 2 larger ones. I just eyeball it and give about the same volume of food, even though the calories are fewer. The goal is to make the stomach work less and give it a little break from digesting kibble.

Rice or pasta must be very mushy and way overcooked to be effective. I usually use about 3 cups of liquid per cup of rice.

After numerous tummy issues with Rocket, the combination that works best for him is Evanger Organic Canned Chicken (it's a dog food) mixed with very mushy rice. I make a big batch of rice and just heat it a little in the microwave before adding it to the canned food. He licks the dish clean, and the canned food is very mushy and easier to digest than chicken cut or chopped by hand.

We used to give metronidazole along with the bland diet and he would firm up after a week or so. The vet finally put him on Tylan full time. No tummy problems since starting the Tylan.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest AngelPup

AVOO, it took several rounds of Panacur to clear up the hooks. But we suspect Brady also had an IBD, possibly colitis. His vet suggested continuing with the Flagyl, eventually weaning him off slowly.. But the biggest change came when we switched to Iams green bag. The vet recommended something with beet pulp in it--said it helps a lot of dogs with digestive issues. Since Iams had been recommended by the adoption group and so many here, I decided to try it. It helped a TON. I suspect he might have been allergic or sensitive to rice too. Every dog food I tried with rice in it gave him pudding poops. Good luck! It's very frustrating.

How did you find out about the hook worms? How are they treating them? My boy, Max, has been battling diarrhea for a few weeks, and we're at our wits end. The vet gave us a broad-spectrum dewormer and some antibiotics, to no avail. I suspect that the dewormer would take care of the hook worms, but maybe I'm missing something?

Hooks, or any type of worms, are diagnosed by the vet checking a fresh stool sample. If you didn't take a sample in - and your vet just gave you a de-wormer - it might or might not be one that works on the type of worms your dog might have. It's not a bad course of treatment - but if it's still going on - definitely take in a sample. Not every de-wormer works on every type of worm.