Why Does My Dog Take Food To His Bed?

This isn't really a problem or training question, but perhaps one of you behavior experts can satisfy my curiosity. When I feed my greyhound, sometimes instead of digging in he'll take a mouthful of food back to his bed to eat it. Sometimes he'll do it several times before losing interest in his food and settling down. Or if I encourage him enough or sit next to his dish, he'll finally start eating at the bowl. He's an only dog and has always been a bit of a finicky eater and not too excited by kibble. We're used to coaxing his interest. It seems like protective behavior and I would understand if he did it during some commotion but we never bother him while he's eating and with just two humans our place is generally pretty quiet.

Any ideas?

My hound will do this sometimes too. She just feels the need to wander around with a mouthful of food before putting it down somewhere and then finally chomping away. She has also picked up her whole bowl and relocated it to the living room so she can eat from her pillow. When she does this, I usually just pick up the bowl and put it at the front of her crate. There, she's happy to eat away while lounging on her pillow. I leave the door open so she can come and go as she pleases.

Do you have a crate set up that you could try to feed your hound in?

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest FinnsMom

Finn does this as well. He has 2 beds on the main floor but any treats he gets he runs over to his bed to eat them. My son has a little table in his playroom that he will put snacks on and Finn sees that as a golden opportunity. :hehe Last night he grabbed a piece of sushi from my son and this morning it was his toast while he wasn't looking. LOL Each time running back to his bed to eat it.

It's just one of many Greyhound behaviors that you may eventually see and question. Annie eats her meals from her bowl but every treat given at home is taken to her bed to eat. Pretty much anything you see that seems unusual is normal for some Greyhounds at some times.

Ha! He doesn't do it all that often and he doesn't make a mess (anymore!). He used to take a mouthful and then let half of it fall out of his mouth onto the floor but we lowered his bowl and that stopped that. I was just curious why he does it, like if it means he's feeling on edge or something. But maybe he's just trying to get breakfast in bed!

Edited by DogGolden

They are usually fed in their crates at the kennel. This is most likely a holdover from that routine. Their bed is now their safe place instead of the crate.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Cute! Would never happen at my house where both dogs eat so quickly they often choke themselves.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

They are usually fed in their crates at the kennel. This is most likely a holdover from that routine. Their bed is now their safe place instead of the crate.

My thoughts exactly. Try setting his bowl next to his bed at meal time and see what he does. He may eat better there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Mine get the tasty or new bits of their meals out of their bowls and take them away. They often don't make it as far as their bowls because they need to get back to find the next tasty bit! The only problem I have with this is that sometimes Brandi heads onto our bed with a chew treat. I don't like this, but she's often too quick to catch. So I just make sure she's on DH's side!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine eats her meals in her bowl, but tasty treats are taken to her bed to eat. Partly it's her own habit, but we reinforce by telling her to take something crumbly to her pillow.

Frisby always ate his food at his bowl, but any treats were taken to his bed, even if he was in another room when given the treat. Oh how I miss that.