Hello From St. Louis!

Guest FlightsofFlynn

Guest FlightsofFlynn

Hello All!!

We are an engaged couple consisting of me(Mary) and the other, better half of us, Dan!

Our first grey is coming to us next Friday the 24th. We are thrilled!! :beatheart We're adopting from Rescued Racers in St. Louis, they've been excellent to deal with and we'd highly recommend them!

While we are eagerly anticipating his arrival, we are trying to find the right name for him. His racing name was Atascocita Dante, he ran in eighty races and came in first nineteen times. He is a big, 80 pound brindle boy who's sweet, mellow and great to walk with! We like Brego, Hugo, Merlin, Comet, Flynn, Bruno, Nova.... ?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Guest grey_dreams

Hi from St. Louis! Congratulations on Dante, he is beautiful! :heart The folks at Rescued Racers are great! Hope to meet you sometime!

Guest Doggone

Congratulations! And how old is your greyt new friend? My 7-year-old brindle broodie came to me about 10 weeks ago, and it's been fabulous! She's fit in as if she always lived with me :).

My suggestion re: his name: If you can, live with him for a few days, keeping your favorites in mind. That way, you may get a better idea of which one suits him the best as he relaxes more and more in his new home :).

Congrats! I like the name Dante.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest FlightsofFlynn

Thank you!! "Greyt" to feel so welcome!

He turned three in Feb.. Will try to hold off on the name until he gets more acclimated with us, we are just overly excited.. :flip

Thank you for the suggestions, those are all really cute and it's going to be tough to choose one!

Hi from St. Louis! Congratulations on Dante, he is beautiful! :heart The folks at Rescued Racers are great! Hope to meet you sometime!

We are looking forward to meeting other greyhound people! Will you be at the festival on June 2nd??

I'd go with Dante, too. Sometimes the rescue group or kennel workers have given a hound a nickname, too, but it's not necessary to keep that name. My Sheba who is black was nicknamed "Mocha," and I just didn't see the connection (perhaps a tiny bit of fawn in the black?), so I went with Sheba. Congratulations on your new houndie!

Guest undergreysspell

Hello and welcome! I'm sure after you've had your grey for a while the name will be easier to decide upon. Don't forget all the variations and nicknames too!

Guest FlightsofFlynn

He's not really coming with a definite name.. The family who fostered him said he doesn't know it and they didn't care for "Dante" so I thought it best to come up with our own!

I couldn't see "Mocha" for a black dog either.. maybe "coffee" or "noir".. :coffee But, everyone sees something different too!

I think we'd consider "Dante" or some variation but it didn't click for either of us.. so we'll have to wait and see I guess! Can't wait to get him, it's killing us! :offwall

Welcome from Delaware. Sometimes the group knows what the dog's call name was. I have known the call names for all our greys except the first one. You can, of course, re-name any thing you like. The dog will learn his new name in a short time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm very excited for you. He's a very handsome boy and had great ears! Keep your favorite names in mind and when he gets home you'll probably know which one is "his" name.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I would stay with Dante until he proves you different. He might respond well to that name. You can alway have a nickname for him as it just happens.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Congratulations! I love the name Dante and you could also call him Danny Boy....Danny sort of being short for Dante! Lots of luck and fun times with your boy.

Three of my hounds, Seamus, Paddy, and Aiden, are from StLRR - a wonderful group to work with. Six more sleeps until your boy arrives! He is a Cobblepot kid :wub: You may want to wait to name your boy until you meet him. I had Paddy named (Cinco) before he arrived and it soo didn't fit him :lol

Congratulations!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Welcome, and congrats! He is a very handsome guy. I have a Cobblepot kid too and actually see some resemblance to my girl in Dante's eyes. :beatheart

I'd echo what others have said about the names—wait a bit and see what fits and/or what he responds best to. I had a list picked out for mine as well, and the poor thing remained nameless for far too long because nothing we liked seemed to fit her as well as the name she came with (racing name Sweep Thru; kennel name Sweep). Though it's not a name I would have chosen originally, she responds to it, it's certainly unique, and I've grown to like it. :flip That said, I like Brego and Hugo!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest FlightsofFlynn

Welcome from Delaware. Sometimes the group knows what the dog's call name was. I have known the call names for all our greys except the first one. You can, of course, re-name any thing you like. The dog will learn his new name in a short time.

Thank you! I don't think they know what it was and they are encouraging us to give him a name of our choosing.

I'm very excited for you. He's a very handsome boy and had great ears! Keep your favorite names in mind and when he gets home you'll probably know which one is "his" name.

Thanks, we are over the moon! He is very striking in person, the pictures don't do him justice! :beatheart We have a list that we keep adding names to.. lol.. hopefully he'll straighten us out!

Congratulations! I love the name Dante and you could also call him Danny Boy....Danny sort of being short for Dante! Lots of luck and fun times with your boy.

Thank you! We like it ok, but it didn't really seem to fit.. maybe it will once he's with us? That's a great idea except the I call my fiance "DannyBob" quite often so that may cause some confusion!

Three of my hounds, Seamus, Paddy, and Aiden, are from StLRR - a wonderful group to work with. Six more sleeps until your boy arrives! He is a Cobblepot kid :wub: You may want to wait to name your boy until you meet him. I had Paddy named (Cinco) before he arrived and it soo didn't fit him :lol

Congratulations!

Wow, that's awesome! My fiance Dan has a friend that adopted from RR before and his dogs got Dan interested in adopting from them. Dealing with them has been a very pleasant experience!

It's going to be a loooong six sleeps for sure! I can relate, we're afraid to have just the right name picked out and then he gets here and we're like.. what were we thinking?? :rofl

Welcome, and congrats! He is a very handsome guy. I have a Cobblepot kid too and actually see some resemblance to my girl in Dante's eyes. :beatheart

I'd echo what others have said about the names—wait a bit and see what fits and/or what he responds best to. I had a list picked out for mine as well, and the poor thing remained nameless for far too long because nothing we liked seemed to fit her as well as the name she came with (racing name Sweep Thru; kennel name Sweep). Though it's not a name I would have chosen originally, she responds to it, it's certainly unique, and I've grown to like it. :flip That said, I like Brego and Hugo!

Thank you! He is gorgeous in person, we can't wait to get some pics posted!! Yay! That's awesome! I can see it in the eyes too, very pretty girl!

Oh, we didn't think naming would be this hard.. I liked "Flynn" a lot at first but the fiance, not so much... now I'll need to get my username changed.. :rolleyes:

I agree, unique is a factor for us too. Dante I think would be unique as well but neither of us really like it.. I guess if he does then we can learn to like it! We keep going back to Brego and Nova..

We'll let you know asap!! Come on Friday!!!!!! :confetti

Guest RooMcClanahan

Ugh, waiting is the worst. :)

We got both of our brindle pups from Rescued Racers as well! Congrats to you guys, hugs to The Pup Yet to Be Named, and maybe we'll see you at the picnic next month!

Congratulations! I made it easy on myself and just kept parts of my pups racing names with the exception of one. We just couldn't have a dog in our house with the name Cookie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FlightsofFlynn

Congratulations! I made it easy on myself and just kept parts of my pups racing names with the exception of one. We just couldn't have a dog in our house with the name Cookie.

Thank you! We are really anxious.. few more days!! Aw, Cookie is cute! :flip

Congrats! Welcome to GT! :)

Thanks! I'm so glad I found this forum, it's awesome! :bow2

Guest FlightsofFlynn

Our boy is finally here!!

Our rescue contact brought him to us last night. He seemed to do ok, he walked around, explored everywhere and drank some water! We made it through the night without issue, we had him in our bedroom with us. He is an excellent alarm clock! He starting singing to us at 6:30 this morning! Lol!! He's also handled going outside with us very well, though he's having some trouble with the steps. Nothing major, he goes down brilliantly.. it's the going back up that's the issue. No biggie, he just needs time. He felt comfortable enough today to actually try out the beds we got for him and he even played with a stuffy for a few secs!

Without further ado....

Happy Gotcha Day Brego!! (formerly known as Atascocita Dante)

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_20130524_210539.jpg

IMG_20130524_203702.jpg

Brego is beautiful. I'm also from St. Louis. We make it back there for the ballgames.

I'm glad you chose your own name for him. He'll answer to any name attached to food.

He will continue to show more personality for a year or more. We've had Gus for 2 years. He keeps surprising us.

DarbyampChad_zpsvpn9kam5.jpg

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant."
-Cathy, DW to Al, Mom to Darby & Chad. Nana to Gabe, Dominic, & Christopher Welter
Remembering Social (2001-2014) and Gus (2007-2015)