Medication Mistake

I'm so glad this appears to have turned out okay!

I called in tonight to get Robin's doxycycline refilled for another two weeks, so he could have the full month of them. Now, we never actually found evidence of any active infection that would warrant the doxy, but we started it before the tick panel came back, and he turned the corner right after that, so who knows... Well, when I picked it up, the pharmacist told me that when they filled it the first time, he gave me the wrong ones!! The prescription was for 100mg tabs, but he filled it as 50mg tabs. So for nearly two weeks, Robin was on HALF the prescribed dose, and we didn't realize it. Whoa!

So the pharmacist called the evet and they re-prescribed the original amount and said that he should stay on that for 3 weeks instead of two. And the pharmacist waived the (much larger) cost since it was their error. Thank goodness. And Robin has improved, so it appears that there is no harm done.

But WOW. Thank goodness he's okay!! Now all I have to worry about is diarrhea at this higher dose.

Someone is definitely looking out for my buddy. :)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I would be hopping mad! Costco one time gave us the extended release xanax instead of the normal stuff. I freaked out when I got home and noticed the error. Called the vet right away.

Costco freaked out and called me first thing the next morning saying that I had the wrong drug.

Why didn't the pharmacy catch yours sooner? I'm glad it didn't hurt him at all

------

Jessica

I just gave him some pumpkin! I'm thinking a little bit twice a day can't hurt. He likes it.

And Jessica, I'm not sure why they didn't catch it sooner, except that whoever read the prescription put it in wrong--so the label and everything says 50mg. Even the description (little yellow tabs) is correct. So they didn't catch it until they went back in the computer to look at the original prescription that it was caught. I'm surprised that I didn't notice the discrepancy with the discharge paperwork; the normal, not freaked- and stressed-out me would have caught that.

He said it is an unusually high dosage, even for humans. So I'm guessing that the culprit assumed it said 50, as that is what is most common.

I'm glad he owned up to it, called the vet himself, and dealt with it, plus he did not charge me the $113 for the new medication. So I will be watching things a little more carefully, but I'm okay with how he handled it. BECAUSE Robin is doing well.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I guess all that matters is that Robin is doing well ;-) that's a hefty bill to get waived due to a mistake! Score for the wallet. LOL glad he likes pumpkin. The girls turn their noses up at it

But the cats love it, which makes so much sense...

------

Jessica

Guest JaneandSara

So glad it turned out OK. I sometimes get fed up waiting in the pharmacy - but at least it is because everything has to be double-checked!