Bleeding Gums?

I was brushing Hadji's teeth yesterday (it had been a few weeks, but decided I needed to get in the daily routine again), and noticed the gum above one of his canine teeth was red and bled slightly when I brushed it. About 6 weeks ago I had his teeth cleaned for the same reason, the gums were bleeding and there was some infection. He was put on antibiotics. I was surprised to see that there was still some bleeding, just above that one tooth. He actually has pretty good teeth, nice and white. He's three years old. Should I continue brushing? Will that help prevent the bleeding? I've been giving him a rawhide every night hoping that would help keep his teeth and gums healthy.

Yes, continue brushing. If I don't brush Annie's teeth every day, by day #3, there may be a bit of blood on the toothbrush. It's like a human not brushing and flossing regularly. Eventually the gums will bleed, even without infection, whether human or dog.

I'm back to the brushing routine, and noticed when brushing my other greyt, Gila, her teeth bled slightly at the gum line. I've had five greyts, and never noticed this before when brushing. I'm starting to wonder if it could be related to some vitamin deficiency. They're both eating Iams dry food for sensitive skin. I think I'll start adding other foods, hopefully Hadji won't scratch himself raw though. This food is the only one we've tried that didn't seem to bother his skin, or cause flammable amounts of gas.