Thinking About Getting A Greyhound

Guest CallMeChris

I used to run 10k every other day with Phoenix. I had to train him slowly, exactly how I trained myself. It can be done.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest CallMeChris

Luv @ 1st Sighthound

Running with greyhounds

Welcome to the cult!

Ours are not allowed on the furniture. They have a zillion beds, so I don't think they are missing much!

Thanks for the links! I don't know about a zillion...but s/he will probably have more options than I will, lol

I knew someone who had two greyhounds in a studio apartment in NYC. We traveled with three greyhounds in a 30 ft trailer and spent three summers in that trailer at the seashore. If you want to know about tight spaces, that was a tight space.

Good to know!

Welcome! Teddi and I hike 3-4 miles a few times a week, and he used to jog with my roommate twice a week. Some dogs will like it, some won't. If you talk to your adoption group they'll help you pick the right one!

I also live in a small efficiency apartment with Teddi and if I could afford a second I would have one here in a heartbeat! They do really well in small spaces, and learn to adapt quickly. As for the furniture, Teddi prefers his bed to the couch and only gets up in my bed occasionally. I've never told him no, he's just a big dude and doesn't find my reclining couch comfortable (there's some hardware in it that probably pokes his bony self!) Plenty of people don't allow the dogs on furniture, and it's possible that your grey will never even try (Teddi never did).

Good luck!

Thanks! Good to know!

Welcome Chris!

I've had hounds for 20+ years now, and my current 2, Dazzle and Tangerine, will NOT get up on the furniture with me! I miss having hounds in my bed! :ohno

Thanks! Love the names :D

Sounds like most people have answered your questions, so I'll just welcome you to GT!

I used to jog with my hound. She was 3 1/2 when I got her and it seemed like a good way to get rid of some energy. We had to build our distance up slowly over time. We started at 1/4 mile and went from there over the course of a couple of months, but she would never want to go more than 1.5-2 miles, sometimes less if it was hot or humid. Then one day we started our jog and she stopped and sat down and would never jog with me again :lol . Now we just powerwalk instead, but that works for me.

Good luck as you find the right hound to fit your home!!

Thanks!

I'm south of you down in the Miami area, welcome! The group I volunteer for sends dogs to Gold Coast Greyhound Adoptions in Clearwater! I have worked with a few of the greys they have up for adoption right now, and they are all wonderful! Which group are you thinking about working with?

Not all greys may love long distance running, but I know some that do, and some that need to do it! My grey has relatively high energy, if we had any shady trails that allowed dogs we would be on them! I live in a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apt with my bf, a cat and a grey, we are all comfortable here :)

Miami! Talk about hot :D Not sure which group, there are a few here. Will go to some meet and greets and go from there.

Welcome!

Mine have always refused to get on the furniture...Navy guy and I actually put them on a bed, made them stay (while they shook), took a pic and then they jumped down. Even now, I try to get Zelda on the couch and she goes to lay on a dog bed.

Thanks. lol

We started with two. They are 7 & 9. They have only run short distances with my granddaughters but LOVE their walks. We usually go out every evening and walk about 1.5 to 2 miles. Our boy insists on his walk about 6 every night. They spend much of the day sleeping on their beds. We have two beds in our living room and two in our bedroom. I also live in a hot climate, so evening walks work best. Occasionally we go in the morning, but I am not a morning person and they aren't either. I know a guy who has 3 in a one bedroom apartment, He takes them for walks twice a day and they do find. Greys at the track spend most of their lives in crates. They get out 4 times a day for potty and exercise, and maybe race twice a week, so they are usually ok with a crate. because they are around other dogs and handlers sometimes they have separation anxiety. If you have weekends off, get the dog on Friday so you will have time to be sure how he will be. Work up to leaving him alone. They have never tried to get on the furniture, but my wife would let them if they wanted.

Welcome to the cult. You won't regret it.

Thanks! Yes, was thinking about getting one on a Friday morning and taking that day off. Of course, much would depend on what the group sets up.

About multiples in an apartment - I had a small studio apartment in Boston with 2 greyhounds. As long as I got them out for exercise, it was never an issue having multiples in a small space. If you want a running companion tell your group that and they will find a dog for you. Mine are wonderful running companions, they just need to work up to the distances because it's something they weren't trained for. Just remember that they don't do well in heat, so be aware of the temps when you decide to walk or jog.

Good luck!!

Thanks! Good to know.

I used to run 10k every other day with Phoenix. I had to train him slowly, exactly how I trained myself. It can be done.

Great, thanks!

Hi Chris- I live just north of Tampa and the only real problem I see is that it's just too hot and humid here for a grey to be your running partner. We go out early at sun up and late at night after dark in the summer and even then she doesn't want to go much longer than a 20-30 min walk. The furniture thing also may or may not be a problem for you. I think maybe a bit more research might be a good idea before you make your decision. Good luck!!

I agree. I can't imagine a greyhound running in Florida heat/humidity. My pretty active greyhound barely wanted to move the 6 months we spent in Sarasota.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest CallMeChris

Bought a dog bed today, still need the dog :D Orthopedic foam. On clearance no less.

943381_528046663897435_1418034369_n.jpg

Also went to two Greyhound Meet n Greets today. The Greyhound Gang of Florida and Greyhound Rescue & Adoptions of Tampa Bay. Great people and dogs in both places. Answered all my questions and very friendly and informative.

Bought a dog bed today, still need the dog :D Orthopedic foam. On clearance no less.

943381_528046663897435_1418034369_n.jpg

Also went to two Greyhound Meet n Greets today. The Greyhound Gang of Florida and Greyhound Rescue & Adoptions of Tampa Bay. Great people and dogs in both places. Answered all my questions and very friendly and informative.

Sounds like you're ready. Hope the perfect hound finds you soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I have two girls, Olivia and Chloe. I just started running with Olivia this spring during the cooler weather. She absolutely loves it. The longest we have gone is about a mile or mile and a half. I think she would go even a little farther if I allowed her and if I were up to it. Her sister, Chloe, enjoys it for about the first block and then she's done. She also has the same attitude about her walks, however! Chloe has never shown any interest in the furniture, but Olivia did. But she is a dog who really wants to please and when she learned that she was not allowed on the furniture she stopped trying to get on. We live in a 900 square-foot home and it is just fine with two dogs. More I think would be pushing it though.

Good luck with your search. It is so much fun visiting the meet and greets and meeting all the dogs. The right one will find you!

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest DMBFiredancer

You sound like me...got the bed, but no dog yet! Good luck finding your perfect hound! We are adopting in July and are super excited (but also a bit nervous as first time parents!) luckily we have this greyt forum to turn to!

Guest Doggone

As others have said, be as specific as you can be with whatever group(s) you are working with regarding the lifestyle you expect to have with your greyhound. They should be able to somewhat tailor a "match" for you that will fit in as if he/she was what you ordered: high energy, good endurance, etc.

One thing that's important, given where you live, is a fairly heat-tolerant hound!

Since I'm a retired senior, with a very calm, laid-back lifestyle, I wound up with Autumn, a 7-year-old broodie, who was ready to embrace her own retirement. She's also unbelievably calm and cooperative, so much so that it's hard to believe she wasn't someone's well-trained pet before coming to me. She's happy with a nice walk once a day, BUT........I have to take her out early in the wee hours, before it starts warming up, otherwise it's too draining for her. She has absolutely NO heat tolerance (I'm talking about above 70-75!), and I've learned to accommodate. I can't wait to see how she does in the winter (she's only been with me since March 1st); it should be delightful!

For your needs, a dog that "runs" warm, wouldn't do, and by now in Florida, any fosters could tell if one does. Good luck! She's my first grey and I am THRILLED! :)

• 1 month later...

I used to love running with my greyhounds. I used to even BIKE with them - all three of them at once. They quickly learned directions and were great companions in running, biking and walking. And lounging on your furniture. You might just have to give a little. LOL

I haven't had a greyhound in about three years now, and life is just not the same. My dogs are good dogs, but they ain't no greyhounds!

You'll NEVER regret getting a greyhound.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)