Thinking About Getting A Greyhound

Guest CallMeChris

Guest CallMeChris

Hello!

My name is Chris, I'm a 42yo single male and I live in the Greater Tampa Bay Area here in Florida. I've never had a dog and I recently decided that I would like to have one. After doing much research, a rescued Greyhound is at the top of the list.

Here are some of my desires and circumstances:

• I live alone and work 8-5, M-F but I only live 1/2 mile from work and I come home for lunch.
  • I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with a Den
  • I enjoy running and walking outside. My dog would get lots of daily exercise. I would like my dog to be able to run with me for at least a few miles, several miles would be awesome. How far do you think a Greyhound could run at a moderate pace? I'm no Olympian :D Say, 10:00 to 11:00 minute miles. What about dirt trails?
  • I'm goal and detailed oriented, but I'm a calm, laid back dude overall.
  • Have had lots of cats, fish, gerbils, hamsters and birds...but no dogs before.
  • Will not let the dog on my bed or furniture. Will provide them with their own ;)

Time to head for work, will post more later if I think of anything else to add to the list.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

(EDIT: I think I've been doing online dating for too long, lol. Sounds a lot like an online dating profile :rofl )

Edited by CallMeChris

Will not let the dog on my bed or furniture. Will provide them with their own ;)

Any thoughts?

Yeah, good luck with the furniture! LOL

Welcome!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I am no expert, but of my four greyhounds, only one did not get on beds/furniture.

Also, greyhounds are more sprinters than distance runners, so not sure how a grey would do on a run of a 'few miles'. Others here would know better about this, I am sure.

They are wonderful dogs, very easy to live with, very, very sweet. Good luck.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I think a lot of adopters (my husband and I included) start out with the no furniture rule, but these dogs are VERY persuasive. There are two snoozing on my bed right now, and we regularly find ourselves watching TV on the floor so that they can have the couch.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest RMarie

I was hell bent on the "no furniture" rule, too. But, it didn't make any sense for James to be on the floor and us to be on the big 'ol couch by ourselves. Sooooo, he's our snuggle bug now.

As for running with a greyhound...good luck with that. Greyhounds are not bred for distance running. That's why they're such good couch potatoes. James is not at all interested in endurance running. Chasing me? Yes. Mileage...that's for cars. :hehe

Welcome to the cult. I have volunteered for a rescue group in the Tampa area for 5 years. I recommend reading up on the breed and coming to Meet & Greets to get first hand experience You will see a wide range of personalities. All of our foster dogs live in homes and their personality is observed for weeks or months during their acclamation to pet life. Some dogs are ok being any "only dog" Your apt complex will be verified for breed and weight restrictions. As a whole Greyhounds are quiet BUT they are still dogs. My dog has been owning me for over 4 years and at 9, he has never been on furniture. As far as running, Greyhounds are sprinters and do their run/job in a few MINUTES and it's down for a nap. Be extremely careful with the heat in Florida. Running on pavement can burn feet quickly. Knowing of the leash laws in major cities, jogging a leashed dog on a trail can be a problem for fast moving roller blad es and bikers. If you want a companion for walking a tree lined street or a romp through a city park, go for it .if you want a ball chasing, frizbee jumper,or a open Jeep wing man, maybe a Lab or Pointer would be a better choice.

It's great that you're showing an interest in a Greyhound and I hate to be a 'party pooper', but they're sprinters and do not really appreciate long jogging sessions and trail runs. After about 1 1/2 - 2 miles walk max my Peggy says: 'I'm done with that!' and becomes disinterseted. She ensures that you get a home 'mooch' rather than a home run. She doesn't care for the heat much either and if you're in a hot summer place with humidity that will mean early morning and late evening exercize.. and making sure the pavement isn't too hot for feet.

My Borzois (sighthounds with huge coats) were totally different, they loved tagging along the trail with my mountain bike or jogging around the edge of town.

If you apply to a greyhound rescue be totally honest about yards and safety implications etc.

Greyhounds are great social ice-breakers so it would be worth modifying your exercize routine if you can.

I can tell you of a little dog that just adores jogging and trails, as long as there's water to swim in on the way. A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver. They are half the size of a Golden and so full of energy.

You will get all kinds of opinions. Two of my greys jog 1.5 - 2 miles with me M-W-F mornings - early. The heat definitely impacts that, so I would be careful. We work up to that distance every year (I don't run them in the winter). We finished a 1.5 jog this morning without any breaks. I do run slower with them than without, though. However, there are times that they don't want to run and I have had a couple that didn't enjoy it. If they don't feel like it, we don't and if they didn't enjoy it, they stay home.

I would discuss your preferences with your group and see what they suggest. Good luck!

Oh, you will find lots of single women with greyhounds. Single men? Not so much, at least around here!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest amethyst

Hi Chris,

I can relate to your post so thought I'd reply. It works out great going home everyday at lunch to walk my greyhound. By doing this I've been able to keep her on the kennel schedule of 4 outs per day. I live in Jacksonville, FL. During the summer it's too hot for very much exercise except early morning or later in evening. She can run with me for short distances (1/2 mile or so max) when it's cool but that's about it. Wet your dog down before exercise if it's really hot outside. I didn't want her on the furniture but in the end we made a deal. She stays off my bed and I let her lay on one particular couch. Overall, I'd describe her as a dog that acts like a cat. I live in a house but these dogs are very adaptable to living in small spaces. Use a crate for the first month or so.

When you go to look for your dog watch how they interact with the other dogs and people. Run your hands over them to see if they object to being touched.

Are they foot sensitive? Will they approach you in a friendly manner or are they hanging back avoiding contact? Your chosen dog's personality will evolve over a period of weeks or months so, be patient.

None of my greyhounds (we have had 5) went on our furniture. When we had the trailer, two would lay on the sleeper couch. Anytime we vacationed in a rental home, they always found a couch to share. But never in our home. I have 6 beds scattered several places throughout our home. Heck, there were years my kids weren't allowed on the furniture.

I take long walks with our dogs, but not run. I, myself, can't run, so, it is fine.

Good luck finding your perfect grey, because you will.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest undergreysspell

Hi Chris- I live just north of Tampa and the only real problem I see is that it's just too hot and humid here for a grey to be your running partner. We go out early at sun up and late at night after dark in the summer and even then she doesn't want to go much longer than a 20-30 min walk. The furniture thing also may or may not be a problem for you. I think maybe a bit more research might be a good idea before you make your decision. Good luck!!

I am no expert, but of my four greyhounds, only one did not get on beds/furniture.

Also, greyhounds are more sprinters than distance runners, so not sure how a grey would do on a run of a 'few miles'. Others here would know better about this, I am sure.

They are wonderful dogs, very easy to live with, very, very sweet. Good luck.

Sammi, when she was younger, loved walking and hiking with me. My neighbor, when I first adopted her, loved jogging. Sammi was only 3.5 yrs old when I adopted her and would go jogging with him 2x a week.

:lol agreed

(EDIT: I think I've been doing online dating for too long, lol. Sounds a lot like an online dating profile :rofl )

Quite a few single grey owners here. More single females than single males, iirc ;) It might very well be a dating profile :lol

And welcome to Greytalk!

Guest CallMeChris

Wow! Lots of great replies! Thanks :)

I knew they were sprinters and not endurance runners. I don't run 45mph though, lol...so wondered how far they could run at a much slower pace than 45mph. Sounds like 1.5-2 miles is reasonable with the right greyhound.

That said, the running thing isn't a deal breaker, just a nice to have. After all, I spend much more time not running than I do running :D I'd work around what ever is possible with the grey I end up getting. Either just take her on a short sprint day, or swing by home near the end of my run and just take her out for the last mile or two. Had already planned on running with them in the early morning if it will be a warm day, 5-6am time frame.

My apartment complex's only restriction is on Pit Bulls. Anything else is fine. They charge a $400 non-refundable pet "deposit," but nothing extra per month. I've lived here for 5 years now, and have no plans to move, so not too concerned about the $400. Over the life of the pet, that's minimal per year/day, plus it's per apartment, not per pet. They have pet stations with free pet bags and places to dispose of the bags, scattered all around the complex. Lots of nice sidewalks bordering ponds and lakes. See many people walking their dogs here. Surprisingly enough, 99% of the people actually pick up after the dogs.

We'll see how the furniture thing goes. I can be pretty stub...err, strong willed though ;)

No worries on leash laws, I will keep mine leashed at all times unless we are in a designated secured area. BTW, by trails, I meant hiking trails, not multi-use trails. Most of my running is on sidewalks near my home. I don't care about ball chasing or frisbee catching, and I don't own a jeep :D

Does anyone have experience with having more than one dog in a small apartment? Mine is about 720sqft, and I am curious about getting a second dog in a year or two if all goes well.

Good to know the single female demographics, lol. Nice bonus :D

I did a search for the "Love At First Sighthound" thread, but didn't find it. Dating thread?

Thanks again all for the feedback and info so far! More always welcome :)

Guest CallMeChris

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am hoping to get to a meet and great in the Brandon area this Saturday. Depends on if I get done hiking with my friends early enough. Should be able to make it though.

I knew someone who had two greyhounds in a studio apartment in NYC. We traveled with three greyhounds in a 30 ft trailer and spent three summers in that trailer at the seashore. If you want to know about tight spaces, that was a tight space.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest kkaiser104

Welcome! Teddi and I hike 3-4 miles a few times a week, and he used to jog with my roommate twice a week. Some dogs will like it, some won't. If you talk to your adoption group they'll help you pick the right one!

I also live in a small efficiency apartment with Teddi and if I could afford a second I would have one here in a heartbeat! They do really well in small spaces, and learn to adapt quickly. As for the furniture, Teddi prefers his bed to the couch and only gets up in my bed occasionally. I've never told him no, he's just a big dude and doesn't find my reclining couch comfortable (there's some hardware in it that probably pokes his bony self!) Plenty of people don't allow the dogs on furniture, and it's possible that your grey will never even try (Teddi never did).

Good luck!

Welcome Chris!

I've had hounds for 20+ years now, and my current 2, Dazzle and Tangerine, will NOT get up on the furniture with me! I miss having hounds in my bed! :ohno

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Sounds like most people have answered your questions, so I'll just welcome you to GT!

I used to jog with my hound. She was 3 1/2 when I got her and it seemed like a good way to get rid of some energy. We had to build our distance up slowly over time. We started at 1/4 mile and went from there over the course of a couple of months, but she would never want to go more than 1.5-2 miles, sometimes less if it was hot or humid. Then one day we started our jog and she stopped and sat down and would never jog with me again :lol . Now we just powerwalk instead, but that works for me.

Good luck as you find the right hound to fit your home!!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest Clawsandpaws

I'm south of you down in the Miami area, welcome! The group I volunteer for sends dogs to Gold Coast Greyhound Adoptions in Clearwater! I have worked with a few of the greys they have up for adoption right now, and they are all wonderful! Which group are you thinking about working with?

Not all greys may love long distance running, but I know some that do, and some that need to do it! My grey has relatively high energy, if we had any shady trails that allowed dogs we would be on them! I live in a 700 sq ft 1 bedroom apt with my bf, a cat and a grey, we are all comfortable here :)

Welcome!

Welcome!

Mine have always refused to get on the furniture...Navy guy and I actually put them on a bed, made them stay (while they shook), took a pic and then they jumped down. Even now, I try to get Zelda on the couch and she goes to lay on a dog bed.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

We started with two. They are 7 & 9. They have only run short distances with my granddaughters but LOVE their walks. We usually go out every evening and walk about 1.5 to 2 miles. Our boy insists on his walk about 6 every night. They spend much of the day sleeping on their beds. We have two beds in our living room and two in our bedroom. I also live in a hot climate, so evening walks work best. Occasionally we go in the morning, but I am not a morning person and they aren't either. I know a guy who has 3 in a one bedroom apartment, He takes them for walks twice a day and they do find. Greys at the track spend most of their lives in crates. They get out 4 times a day for potty and exercise, and maybe race twice a week, so they are usually ok with a crate. because they are around other dogs and handlers sometimes they have separation anxiety. If you have weekends off, get the dog on Friday so you will have time to be sure how he will be. Work up to leaving him alone. They have never tried to get on the furniture, but my wife would let them if they wanted.

Welcome to the cult. You won't regret it.

Guest zombrie

About multiples in an apartment - I had a small studio apartment in Boston with 2 greyhounds. As long as I got them out for exercise, it was never an issue having multiples in a small space. If you want a running companion tell your group that and they will find a dog for you. Mine are wonderful running companions, they just need to work up to the distances because it's something they weren't trained for. Just remember that they don't do well in heat, so be aware of the temps when you decide to walk or jog.

Good luck!!