Diarrhea Caused By Rawhide?

Guest GreyLaw

Guest GreyLaw

My "Petunia" has had loose stool lately, and we're trying to narrow down what the culprit is. Does anyone else experience problems when they give rawhide treats? We give her the pressed/rolled rawhide treats from Weis markets that look like long sticks. She loves them but if its doing this to her we're going to stop! We have her on new food also (sweet potato and fish protein), combining that with white rice and some pumpkin to help ease her tummy.

Rawhide can do it. Just put the rawhide treats away for a week or two and see if she's better.

And don't substitute a new treat. Instead, "happy talk" over a couple of pieces of her new kibble and see if you can convince her they're yummy treats. (My guys are awfully gullible this way.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

raw hide can absolutely cause upset stomaches. my two used to be incapably of tolerating it, but they love rawhide so much, and have now seemed to adjust to it so that its no longer an issue. however, every now and again i'll forget to take their rawhides away (i only allow around 15 or 20 minutes per night), and when that happens, they can definitely have an upset stomach from overdoing it.

Absolutely can be the rawhide-not surprising at all. Ditch them. You don't want to give her diarheaa again after she gets well by giving her more of them. Some of the cheaper rawhides are full of junk-not surprised a store brand would do this. JMO.

We have her on new food also (sweet potato and fish protein), combining that with white rice and some pumpkin to help ease her tummy.

If you just started her on new food, I'd attribute the diarrhea to that, as opposed to the occasional rawhide treat.

How did you start the new food? Gradual transition or cold turkey?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreyLaw

unfortunately i went cold turkey on the new food. Stupid of me. Problem is that even after we took her to the vet and the diarrhea cleared up for a few days, it is reappearing again. I"m only feeding her the Science diet i/d food now, and Iams probiotic biscuits as a treat. I'm at my wits end, what is going on????

Did the vet do any tests or prescribe any meds, or did the diarrhea just clear up on its own?

Disappearing, reappearing, disappearing, reappearing usually = meds not given long enough (some vets are kind of skimpy in that respect) or hookworms. Sometimes other causes like whipworms, giardia, etc. but hookworms are pretty common.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.