Greyhound Anesthesia Death

Guest Addie

Guest JaneandSara

I'm sorry for your loss. Sadly, this isn't just a greyhound thing (as long as they took extra precautions due to the breed).

Years ago my vet used different anaesthetic for greyhounds - does this still happen or are all anaesthetics deemed to be safer these days?

So very sad for you .....

Edited by JaneandSara

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful girl. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Haven't read all the responses.

A lot of times it's a clot too. Just like in a person, the couple weeks after a surgery anyone, no matter how healthy they are is at risk of throwing a clot and having it lodge in the brain, lungs or heart. It can't be predicted or prevented.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest greytkidsmom

Did I hear someone mention that your baby had recovered from heartworm? Was this her first anesthesia after recovery? Could it be possible that she had scarring within the heart that made her prone to a fatal arrythmia?

Guest Addie

That is what the vet said, that it must of been a clot because it happened so fast (to be healthy one second and gone the next) I was just never convinced of that for some reason. Maybe because a foster our group had died the exact same way. Turned the gas off and.... poof.....gone

She came to GPA when she was a little over a year old with heartworms they treated them and was then was put under for the spay and dental right before I adopted her (she was almost 2 yo) and an x-ray and year after that.

I do sympathasise with you over the loss of your beautiful dog. It's so hard to get past something like that and it makes you never want to have surgery on a dog again. If they had a line in place perhaps they could have given the intervention drugs immediately, though I doubt if a few seconds would have made enough difference. A clot seems most likely, or there may have been hidden issues with the nerve and control structures of the heart, perhaps an aneurysm popped in the brain? Even a necropsy would probably have faild to get to the bottom of it.

You have to try to put it down to the rottenest of bad luck. :grouphug