Fuzzy And Paul Dentals Today

You might want to consider talking to your vet about getting Amicar. The only reason that I mention this is that it seemed there was quite a bit of bleeding at the onset and the Amicar will help control any further bleeding post-incident.

When Lucy had a broken tooth removed, I had her on Amicar for a few days afterwards. This is just because of greyhounds and their "funky" platelets and as a result -- bleeding issues.

edited to add .. hopefully "tbhounds" will chime in here because I think there was mention that OSU recommends Amicar now for dentals -- hopefully, I'll get corrected if I'm wrong in this statement.

Edited by MaryJane

I'm going to be making an appt soon for Harry to have a dental & was planning on bringing him back to NGAP (his Vet is more than willing to do it & I adore her but the thought of the dental makes me nervous). May I ask how long the procedure takes? And if possible the cost? I doubt they'll do it on Saturdays so I'll have to figure out when I'd be able to take off from work without catching hell for it.

Glad to hear all went well with your houndies, hope for their quick recovery. :)

When we lived in New Jersey, we took our dogs(3 dogs then) to NGAP for all their annuals and dentals. They went twice a year for the laser scaling if not a full dental. It wasn't so bad to go back and forth or you can go to the outlets and walk around. If Paul had a dental with teeth pulled, they kept him over night because he seemed to be a little bit of a bleeder. My vet in NJ knew this and understood. She told me more than once, that she didn't know how they could charge what they did and she couldn't complete. For issues like Fuzzy's sheath, Idol vulvectomy, or a torn dew claw, for example; we went to our vet in New Jersey. NGAP is very reasonable and the interesting thing is, our vet here in Delaware is very comparable in price.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry's Vet is very confident that a dental would be no problem, I trust her, & she is literally around the corner. But I know NGAP is NGAP ...can't get anymore experienced with Greys. When I picked Harry up from NGAP last year the trip was a nightmare with the traffic. I will have to see if I can get both the time off from work & time the driving outside of the craziness. Thank you for the info

Guest greytkidsmom

Sending healing wishes to your boys. We know from experience that those canines can be quite an ordeal. Our boy seems much happier with them out now.

Paul is still bleeding a little today. He seems frustrated when eating. I can been giving him canned food, but tried soaking a little kibble and he had problems with it. I am going to call the vet's office tomorrow, but, he does have an appointment on Tuesday for a laser treatment. So we will ask them to look in his mouth.

I have towels spread around all the dog beds in the house and you would know that he found a space to get blood on the carpet. That's my boy!

Try running his kibble through the blender or food processor, then mixing the crumbs with something moist. (I've used yogurt or Ensure; blueberry or raspberry yogurt is a big hit.) He can get the nutrition of his kibble without all the crunching.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Try running his kibble through the blender or food processor, then mixing the crumbs with something moist. (I've used yogurt or Ensure; blueberry or raspberry yogurt is a big hit.) He can get the nutrition of his kibble without all the crunching.

I was thinking tonight of trying this. Thanks.

Guest greytkidsmom

I was thinking tonight of trying this. Thanks.

This is what we did for Kebo - it takes a LOT more water than you think to make a slurry though. You mix and mix and mix and that powder just keeps absorbing water. The other thing we have done is to buy "toy breed" kibble - the little pieces are tiny and easy to lap up when mixed with water.

You might want to consider talking to your vet about getting Amicar. The only reason that I mention this is that it seemed there was quite a bit of bleeding at the onset and the Amicar will help control any further bleeding post-incident.

When Lucy had a broken tooth removed, I had her on Amicar for a few days afterwards. This is just because of greyhounds and their "funky" platelets and as a result -- bleeding issues.

edited to add .. hopefully "tbhounds" will chime in here because I think there was mention that OSU recommends Amicar now for dentals -- hopefully, I'll get corrected if I'm wrong in this statement.

Yup-Amicar is recommended by Dr Couto for dental prophys involving extractions. In fact a GTers hound just had a terrible post extraction bleeding problem requiring extensive vet care. It was resolved by using Amicar. Amicar is rather inexpensive but, may be hard to find so, do your homework prior to the procedure and hunt some down. It's 500mgs by mouth three times daily for 5 days.

The poster that mentioned going to NGAP--it's my understanding that they don't get bleeders so you may need to get the Amicar independently from them.

He actually seems a little peppier today. We are not getting 25 hour stink eye. Len swears that Paul is angry with us.