Food Troubles

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

Ronon has a cast iron stomach. Joey is proving to be the complete opposite.

I am not sure what to do. He was doing really well with the Redpaw, but the price jumped $10/bag and their is only one place online that sells it so not a lot choices and I just can't pay $70 for a bag of food.

I am considering 2 choices- either trying a grain free with no chicken or try Iams that everyone seems to recommend. But I am really thinking chicken is his issue. The redpaw was fish based. It seems everything I try with chicken gives him the major runs. We tried Victor Hi Pro and Hi Energy. Dr. Tims Pursuit and GF Kinesis, and I even tried the food Mira was eating which is lower protein/fat Merrick Whole Earth farms. I tried adding yogurt, extra fiber pysllium seed powder and canned pumpkin per vet recommendation. Tried adding nothing, tried reducing food amounts. Poop is firmer when he eats partial raw than just kibble. Most were fed before we tried Redpaw. I got a bag of Victor Hi Energy a month ago. Mixed it for 1 week until the Redpaw was gone and the past 3 weeks have been just the Victor. I was hoping it would work since it is $38 a bag instead of $70. Poop goes from mushy to pure liquid. I got a script for Flagly I'm going to drop off tomorrow to get filled to see if that will help.

I have a 5lb bag of Merrick GF Beef and sweet potatoe that I tried tonight cause his poop was just pure liquid on our walk. So I figured we will see in a couple days if that works. Ronon and Casper eat 4Health GF beef, but it doesn't have enough calories for Joey. Casper is even losing weight on the food which is good for him, but Joey doesn't need to loose any weight. Joey will be 10 months old on Wednesday. With Casper his poop issues cleared up almost immediately when switched off chicken. So hoping it will help Joey too.

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of things. Here, problems with kibbles seem more often to do with the fat type (vegetable oils such as sunflower and canola -- nearly every kibble uses them now!). Depending on your gut feeling re the chicken, could try IAMS red bag. It's lamb based although it does have some chicken in it too. It's a bit lower in protein so you might want to supplement that. Can't recall whether Purina ONE Sensitive has any chicken or not; it's fish-based.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

see if you can find blue seal products in your neck of the woods. i started feeding the lamb and rice, many of the brands you mentioned above didn't agree w/ sensitive felix(annie can eat ground tires and still have a beautiful coat and good tummy). it's reasonable- 40lbs for $38 and i'm getting great coat, good muscle and stool. my friend w/ danes and greys turned me onto it. it does have chicken fat in it, but what food doesn't? it's NOT manufactured by diamond, it's out of kent, ks, big farm animal manufacturer.

http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-mgmt/dog-cat/LifeStages_LambRiceDog.pdf

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest WhiteWave

Closest retailer of Blue Seal is over 100 miles away from me.

Most all the kibbles I've used have used animal fat instead of oils for Joey.

I tried this one last night. I have a small bag i had gotten for Pongo but he couldn't eat it. It has no chicken or chicken products in it. The other food I fed Joey when I first got him was NOW puppy with no chicken products and his poop was firm on it. He came to me on Science Diet with major puddin poop.

Merrick Texas Beef and Sweet Potatoe.

Deboned Beef, Beef Liver, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potato, Peas, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Natural Flavors, Potato Protein, Potato, Deboned Buffalo, Deboned Lamb, Flaxseed, Whey Protein Concentrate, Apples, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product.

Crude protein (min.) 38.00 % Crude fat (min.) 15.00 % Crude fiber (max.) 3.50 % Moisture (max.) 11.00 % Omega-6 fatty acid* (min.) 3.50 % Omega-3 fatty acid* (min.) 0.35 % Glucosamine Hydrochloride* (min.) 800 mg/kg Chondroitin Sulfate* (min.) 800 mg/kg

Calorie Content

3,663 kcal per kilogram or 422 kcal per cup ME (metabolizable energy) on an as fed basis (calculated).

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of things. Here, problems with kibbles seem more often to do with the fat type (vegetable oils such as sunflower and canola -- nearly every kibble uses them now!). Depending on your gut feeling re the chicken, could try IAMS red bag. It's lamb based although it does have some chicken in it too. It's a bit lower in protein so you might want to supplement that. Can't recall whether Purina ONE Sensitive has any chicken or not; it's fish-based.

:nod

Guest WhiteWave

I think what I'm going to do if the Merrick doesn't work is go with Pro Plan Sensitive. All the dogs can eat that and I won't have to buy a 3-4 different foods like I'm doing now. It would make life so much simpler. Ronon doesn't care for fish, but he will eat it. I could still buy him a bag of something else as a 30lb bag last him almost 2 months. 1 last a month with him and Casper eating it. Sad when Joey and Jack eat more together than Ronon and Casper!

Guest WhiteWave

Poop was firmer today, but we did go to the beach and he drank salt water and ran a lot. So I guess we will see in a couple days. Still may end up with the Pro Plan, it is cheaper and always worked well for my dogs.

Guest WhiteWave

Decided to just suck it up and go back to Redpaw. Once I broke down the price per lb, it ended up being about the same as the Pro Plan Sensitive, it is just a bigger bag. And one bag last Jack and Joey 6 weeks, so $10/week is not bad I guess. Doesn't count the treats and extras though! Nor the other dogs food!

Ah, those math skills really help! MarcR turned me on to Purina Select Salmon and Brown Rice, and my dogs enjoy it and do well on it. I don't know whether it is cheaper than their sensitive stomach formulation.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest WhiteWave

I don't see the Pro Plan Selects Salmon anymore in the stores when I got, not even a place for them at Petsmart or Petco. They just have the turkey and beef, but they tend to be more expensive, $52 a bag. Pro Plan has been making a lot of changes and adding new foods. I have fed the Pro Plan Sensitive to Casper for several years, it runs around $45/33lbs. He does well on it, but gets tired of fish based foods. He is eating 4 Health GF beef right now and doing really well and it is $36/30lbs. I put Ronon on it too just to make it simpler and Ronon coat feels like satin. I swear I have never felt a softer dog. I just love petting him! One 30lb bag last Casper and Ronon a month.

Have you tried home cooked oatmeal? All of your sensitive stomach foods contain oatmeal.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest WhiteWave

Have you tried home cooked oatmeal? All of your sensitive stomach foods contain oatmeal.

I have, it didn't help, made it worse. So does rice.

Guest WhiteWave

Well crap. I just ordered a bag of food for Joey and paid $57 then the food jumps in price to $85. I can not pay that much for one bag of food. So I guess after this bag we will give Pro Plan Sensitive a try. I got a scrip for Flagyl so I'm going to get it filled and hopefully we can get some firm poop! Embarrassing going to the dog beach and having to scrap it up and wash it off the grass!

Guest WhiteWave

I spoke with k9cuisine and it was a pricing error. The food had been on sale at $57, so now $68, but better than $85.

But Joey is on Flagyl. Poop is soft, but getting a form vs just liquid. So hopefully a few more days and he will be better. I reduced the amount of food and cut out all extras. So he getting 2 cups 2x a day with his Flagyl.