Meet Brady (Formerly Pr's Party Animal)

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Hi all. I've already introduced myself a few months back, but now I'm happy to introduce everyone to Brady. We picked him up on Friday and he's got to be the easiest dog I've EVER had. He's very smart too! He only had two minor accidents in the house the first afternoon (caught him in the act both times) and now has a corner of our yard picked out to do his 'business.' He's not picky at all and loves the food we picked out for him (the rescue group mixes several donated brands, so he's starting cold-turkey). He responds very well to a simple NO, but most of the time all he hears is Good Boy, cuz, well, he's SO good!! He loves his crate and will go in there to take his naps with the door open. Loves squeeking stuffies and car rides.

So far, all the things that I was bracing myself for was just a waste of time, cuz they never became issues. He jumps right into my van and didn't utter a peep the first night in his crate. Of course, my oldest daughter camped out in the livingroom, so I'm sure that helped.

He's scary smart too! You can tell he is trying to figure out how everything works and observes and explores everything. It didn't take him long to REALLY want to go into our garage once he figured out that's where we keep his food. So much so, that he actually figured out how to open the door! I never had a dog who could do that--never thought they WOULD be able to do that!

He's roached in his crate the first night, although I missed it because it was in the middle of the night. He chatters when I get him in the morning or when he hasn't seen us in a while. So far, he hasn't counter surfed or jumped up on any of the furniture. Not sure how long that will last, but he seems to respond very quickly to our instructions, so I'm not very concerned about that. Of course, he's not PERFECT, but who is?! I'll post a seperate thread on the only issue we're having with him, but right now, I'm going to attepmt to post a couple pictures (with more coming later).

akfh1l.jpg

1448sxu.jpg

:confetti Congratulations! Welcome home, Brady! :confetti Can't wait for more pictures!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest AngelPup

Thanks everyone!! More pictures:

Here's a couple pictures on the adoption website:

5d9ixd.jpg

346on7s.jpg

Are we home yet?!

33zb2oh.jpg

Playing in van on ride home. Can't believe how secure he was in our van.

29nwdg4.jpg

Another playful picture in van.

2zszdp4.jpg

SQUIRREL!!!

5ydbux.jpg

Didn't take him long to find his bed (although he only used it once). Guess he feels more comfortable in his crate.

5oidn9.jpg

He took to his Nylabone pretty quickly, but has only picked it up one other time. Need to pick up some other chewies.

312dczr.jpg

Outside with Dad. Our fence is due to be installed in a couple weeks--can't wait to let him loose and play with him back there!

9acozc.jpg

Last, but not least. After a VERY exciting day, Brady is POOPED!

1448sxu.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Oops, didn't realize I had already posted that last picture. Oh well-it's my favorite!

Brady's beautiful!! Congratulations & welcome to the wonderful (and addictive!) world of greyhounds!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

What a handsome boy. Congratulations and thanks for sharing pics. I look forward to many more pics and stories.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest AngelPup

Thanks everyone! We love him to pieces!!

Yeah, I met Brianna the same day we met Brady (Animal) at a greyhound adoption fair on Cape Cod a few weeks back. She takes AMAZING pictures!

Guest zombrie

Soooo excited to see him in his new home! He looks so happy! I can tell he is going to have a wonderful life with you :)

Congratulations! Brady looks like a wonderful boy, and quite handsome too! Great pictures! Looks like he's stricken with that adorable "ETS" (escape tongue syndrome) gene too. We love that here on GT. :)

Oh yes, seems you do have a very smart boy. :) You might consider a child safety lock/cover on door knobs/levers to help deter him from opening doors, and/or a latch on the upper door. Watch him carefully to ensure he won't chew off and ingest a safety cover.

Nylabone makes their hard "Durachew" bone in flavors (our hounds like bacon flavor). Spreading peanut butter on Nylabones helps entice dogs' interest. It's okay if he leaves it lying around for a while. Hounds that enjoy chewing often return to them days or weeks later. Just ensure it is sized appropriately for large dogs. Our hounds' favorite "Durachew" shape looks like a fist with arm - long enough to hold easily between front legs. (I don't recommend their softer chews, too easy for large chunks to break off which can cause internal damage.)

Bravo to you! Happy to see his tag on the "side" hardware of his martingale. :) If you don't have one yet, I'd recommend a narrow reflective ID collar for him to wear 24/7 (except not when he's locked inside his crate). Martingale collars are best used as leash walking collars and when closely supervised, otherwise D-ring can get caught on things around the house.

Have great fun with your new Greyhound boy as he blossoms into retirement.

ETA: You might enjoy this video too...

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/297962-henry-the-akc-greyhound/?p=5503707

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest AngelPup

Congratulations! Brady looks like a wonderful boy, and quite handsome too! Great pictures! Looks like he's stricken with that adorable "ETS" (escape tongue syndrome) gene too. We love that here on GT. :)

Oh yes, seems you do have a very smart boy. :) You might consider a child safety lock/cover on door knobs/levers to help deter him from opening doors, and/or a latch on the upper door. Watch him carefully to ensure he won't chew off and ingest a safety cover.

Nylabone makes their hard "Durachew" bone in flavors (our hounds like bacon flavor). Spreading peanut butter on Nylabones helps entice dogs' interest. It's okay if he leaves it lying around for a while. Hounds that enjoy chewing often return to them days or weeks later. Just ensure it is sized appropriately for large dogs. Our hounds' favorite "Durachew" shape looks like a fist with arm - long enough to hold easily between front legs. (I don't recommend their softer chews, too easy for large chunks to break off which can cause internal damage.)

Bravo to you! Happy to see his tag on the "side" hardware of his martingale. :) If you don't have one yet, I'd recommend a narrow reflective ID collar for him to wear 24/7 (except not when he's locked inside his crate). Martingale collars are best used as leash walking collars and when closely supervised, otherwise D-ring can get caught on things around the house.

Have great fun with your new Greyhound boy as he blossoms into retirement.

ETA: You might enjoy this video too...

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/297962-henry-the-akc-greyhound/?p=5503707

Thank you for the great tips! I'm going to try putting PB on his Nylabone and definitely pick up a door knob safety cover. We had already put locks on the under-sink cubbard doors, since that's where we keep our trash, but he hasn't really shown any interest in that...yet. He REALLY likes his dog food, so he keeps going to that door. Luckily, he listens to us and moves away, but I'm sure he'll keep trying when we're out of site.

The tag was placed on the martingale by the adoption group, and we purchased a reflective tag collar for him to wear 24/7 for his license and ID tag. We had to purchase a harness for him too after he freaked out when a loose dog approached us. I'm thinking about moving the rescue group's tag and getting another ID tag for the harness, since if he does slip his martingale and the tag collar falls off, there will be tags on the harness. I feel a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

Oh, and I LOVE that video. I actually saw it a few years back and thought of it when I saw Brady open our door with my own two eyeballs.

Edited by AngelPup

I am also in RI, btw. Four hounds, in North Kingstown. Congrats on your new boy!

I had been running a greyhound walking group in the fall, but that was suspended when my mother passed in December. Thinking about a walk this Sunday. Check out Rhode Island Network of Greyhound Owners (RINGO) on Facebook if you get a chance.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

He is adorable! Be careful with him knowing how to open the door to the garage. My first grey learned to do that and I came home to find him in the garage. Very scary. I ended up putting a lock higher up so he couldn't get out.

Congrats!!!!

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest AngelPup

I am also in RI, btw. Four hounds, in North Kingstown. Congrats on your new boy!

I had been running a greyhound walking group in the fall, but that was suspended when my mother passed in December. Thinking about a walk this Sunday. Check out Rhode Island Network of Greyhound Owners (RINGO) on Facebook if you get a chance.

HEY, Kathy Morrill of GPA Mass told me about your group. Just checked you out on FB. I think it would be great for Brady to get out and walk with other greys. We can't walk him in our neighborhood because he's SO terrified of other breeds and we have a very rambunctious Goldendoodle that keeps getting loose. We need to get him used to other breeds slowly.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

Edited by AngelPup

I agree with the others to dog proof all the doors to the outside, then the fence gates when they are installed. When I worked on the dog farm we had a grey who opened most doors and gates. He inherited the ability from his mother, who, shortly after birthing her litter, unlatched the door and took a jaunt to the nearby Amish farm, not once but twice. The farmer would call and say "Your big black dog is over here." Booker is happily living in Easton, PA, with safely secured door latches.

I now laugh at myself when I think how cautious I was when introducing my first grey to my little dogs and cats. Bessie was such a gentle soul, she must have thought I was insane with the precautions I took for such a long time. She tolerated me and loved me anyway.

Have a blast with your handsome new son.