Help! Miami May Have Licked Up Shards Of Glass!

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

I had just gotten back from taking Izzy from a walk, and I noticed Miami had something in his mouth. When I looked closer I saw it was my water glass that he had knocked off the end table. It shattered onto the hardwood floor and there were shards of glass and all sorts of sizes of broken pieces. I couldn't find much water which leads me to believe that he probably licked it up!!! And licked up some of the glass maybe. :(

I gave him 2 slices of bread, but what else to do??? My vet is closed. My DH is at work with the car until 10. Do I need an e-vet? Should I ask him to come home? This dog is going to give me a heart attack!! What should I do? Has this happened to anyone before? :(

Glass typically won't show on an x-ray,

There's an old thread here where the same thing happened: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/291422-might-have-swallowed-glass-suggestions-urgent/?hl=glass

She wound up giving bread, as you've done, and just watching him at the advice of a vet.

Do you still have the broken glass? Do you have a kitchen scale? And a glass that matches the broken one? You could weigh the whole glass, weigh the broken bits, and get an idea of how much glass is missing. That might make you feel better.

Several people posted the cotton ball idea, but for everyone it was something they heard about but never tried themselves. The vet didn't advise it.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest DeniseL

Thank you for the old thread. I tried searching but didn't see much. I fed him and Thyme about a half a loaf of bread, she was here too, so may have licked up some water and shards.

I heard of giving oil? Or vasaline? Not sure. I guess I will just moniter them both.

It's amazing, Ive never had something like this happen during business hours. Always when my vet is closed. And I know if I call UPenn emergency, they will not give me any answer just tell me to bring him in....

No cotton balls, they can cause blockage.

Please contact ER. IF you are not going to ER, at very least call ER and ask to speak with vet tech (or vet) to ask what their protocol would be IF you brought him in.

Try to fit the remaining pieces together like a puzzle to figure out how much is missing. Keep all pieces for the coming weeks while watching dog. Watch closely for blood in stool, abnormal behavior, etc. Avoid exercising dog for several days to reduce risk of internal puncture. Avoid hard foods for several days. If he eats kibble, soak to soft before serving.

Again, please contact ER.

Guest DeniseL

No cotton balls, they can cause blockage.

Please contact ER. IF you are not going to ER, at very least call ER and ask to speak with vet tech (or vet) to ask what their protocol would be IF you brought him in.

Try to fit the remaining pieces together like a puzzle to figure out how much is missing. Keep all pieces for the coming weeks while watching dog. Watch closely for blood in stool, abnormal behavior, etc. Avoid exercising dog for several days to reduce risk of internal puncture. Avoid hard foods for several days. If he eats kibble, soak to soft before serving.

Again, please contact ER.

So, I got a call from a friend who asked a vet about it. They said bread and monitor him closely. He seems fine right now and is sleeping.

But, based on your response, I figured I had better call the ER, also. I called the new specialty and emergency center that opened up here (VSEC). They put me on with a nurse who said the same thing. Bread and monitor for any signs of distress, blood, abdominal pain, etc. She was actually very helpful and took the time to talk to a few vets on staff tonight. Good to know that they give advice like that! In the past, Upenn would tell me only to bring them in, like when you call a human ER.

I will watch him like a HAWK. My DH will be home in about a half hour, so at least I will have the car if I need to take him in. And I will soak his kibble in the morning, too. Thank you....

Chances are he'll be OK, but you will have to watch him for a couple days. Will keep fingers and toes crossed here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DeniseL

He is alright! Slept well, and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Did a big poop this morning and that was normal. He ate a lot of bread last night over the course of the evening, so I hope that will cushion anything he may have eaten or licked up. I am only using plastic cups from now on. Had a good appetite this morning and ate his normal kibble that I soaked in water for a while first. I actually gave him another couple of slices of bread, too. I'm still hawking him. I am going to call his regular vet tomorrow just to let him know what happened and see if he has any more recommendations. That is, of course, if he doesn't have any problems between now and then. I think he is going to be ok. :) The vet that was consulted last night seemed to think that chances are, even if he did eat some small pieces of glass, they should pass without incident. I hope so!!

Phew! Glad Miami seems to be doing okay. Indeed, when this happened to Boo I almost had a heart attack.

We were on poop patrol for a few days, checking closely for blood. Also, you may want to check with your regular vet for antibiotics? Our vet said that bread should help minimize the likelihood of a puncture or anything, but to give antibiotics in case the glass scraped his throat or stomach on the way down.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest DeniseL

Phew! Glad Miami seems to be doing okay. Indeed, when this happened to Boo I almost had a heart attack.

We were on poop patrol for a few days, checking closely for blood. Also, you may want to check with your regular vet for antibiotics? Our vet said that bread should help minimize the likelihood of a puncture or anything, but to give antibiotics in case the glass scraped his throat or stomach on the way down.

We are on our second poop with no problem, thank god. Was Boo ok after? Did he have any problems passing it?

I am going to ask about the antibiotics, I had read that in an earlier post, too. Thanks!

My jerk dogs broke a perfectly good bottle of wine on the tile floor and licked it up. I got one loaf of high fiber whole wheat bread and gave each about 3 slices that night, followed by a 1 or 2 more in the morning.

I hope they were hungover and learned their lesson. Don't mess with the momma's wine!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)