We Lost Our Sweet Trooper Today

Guest kellybrown

Guest kellybrown

I can't believe I am posting this. On Tuesday I brought home a dog to foster for a few days while I was off work. He was having a hard time in the shelter. Out of no where he attacked Trooper. I rushed him to the vet and felt like everything would be ok. He got him in his neck with several punctures. They had to put in a few staples and they kept him over night. He was refusing to eat but was drinking lots of water. I thought maybe all the meds were messing with his stomach. This morning I called and we went in at 11:00. After doing blood work, he felt like he needed to be hospitalized. We left on a stretcher and took him to the ER vet. They did x-rays because his heart was racing. They wanted to see if the cancer was there. It was clear. They felt like he was septic and started IV pain meds and fluids. His heart slowed down a bit after they started the meds. They were going to keep him all weekend. We left about 3:30 and at 5:55 they called and said he was in cardiac arrest and were doing CPR but couldn't get him back. Then blood came pouring out of his lungs. They feel like it was a blood clot.

I just can't believe we made it so well with his amputation in October and this kills him. He was feeling so good. Just before the attack they were running in the yard and he was in his kiddie pool.

I killed my dog. If I had never brought home that dog, my sweet Trooper would still be here. I am just sick.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh noooooooooo. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Trooper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Please don't blame yourself. You were doing a good thing. There is no way you could have known it wouldn't turn out well. You brought h a playmate and it sounds like he was enjoying having the foster there.

Oh no, I am so so sorry! :f_red:brokenheart:grouphug

This is so tragic and heartbreaking.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Oh, please, please don't blame yourself. So many random things happen, and sometimes they have tragic, unexpected results. We've had a lot of fosters. They are all different, and new, and still adjusting. One of our fosters bit Calvin in the face. One we had a few months ago almost killed one of my cats. You just can't predict what might happen.

I know that this is logical, but what you are feeling now is from the heart and not the brain. It's very hard to think logically when you are in shock and in pain. Please know that you are in many thoughts and prayers. I'm so, so sorry for the loss of your sweet Trooper.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest AngelPup

I am so sorry for your loss. It's not your fault! How could you have known that dog would react like that?!

I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself - this is not your fault. Terrible things happen - you had no way of knowing that this would result when you offered to help another dog.

Run free Trooper

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I'm so sorry.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I'm so very, very sorry that you lost Trooper. I can't even fathom how heart broken and upset you must be. But as others have already said, please don't blame yourself. You did a very good thing by fostering another dog and none of this is anybody's fault. Please don't go on second guessing yourself and letting this be the memory you carry for Trooper. Your relationship with him deserves much happier memories than the last one. Hoping that happy memories will help you through your grief. :grouphug

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Oh how awful. I'm so sorry. Please don't blame yourself.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I'm so sorry. This wasn't your fault. So many awful things happen that we can't predict :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.