Dog Birthday Cake Recipes

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Hi all. We will be adopting our first greyhound soon--can't WAIT--and his fourth birthday is the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone has any birthday cake recipes that would be safe for dogs. My youngest daughter loves to bake and is already excited to be celebrating our new pooch's birthday, so I know she'd love to bake him a cake.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :food

Here's one that I got from Greybookends on this forum. It's delicious! -- or, at least, that's what the canine population has told me, LOL.

Bake at 325 degrees and line brownie pan with foil. 8x11 pan will work

1 box Jiffy cornmeal muffin mix
2 whole eggs (shells can be included)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 pound chicken livers (or beef)

Blend well in blender or food processor and bake at 325F for 25 - 27 minutes.

Cool and peel off foil.

Cut it up for brownies or leave whole to be a cake.

For the icing, just mixed peanut butter and yogurt and spread it on the cake. Decorate with the mini marshmallows and trim with raw chicken & duck feet.

Store in the refrigerator. Leftovers can be frozen.

And here it is, all ready for Summer's 6th birthday:

TheCake.jpg

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest AngelPup

LOL! Wow, that IS a doggie wonder cake--THANKS!! Not sure if my 16 year old daughter would go anywhere near the chicken livers, but I know she will be TOTALLY skeeved by the chicken/duck feet. Maybe we'll replace the feet with pre-cooked turkey bacon. :chow

Thanks again!

I make a beef and liver cake (not really a recipe, just ground beef and liver ) For the "icing" I cook sweet potato and mash it with some yogurt. I sometimes stick sardines on as "candles." Pertty disgusting looking cake! :P

bdaygoodiesandcake.jpg

This one had a base of frozen liver icecream, and was garnished with chicken feet and duck feet.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest AngelPup

I'm still having a hard time getting over the feet. It does look very cool and I'm SURE any dog would be thrilled with it!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Guest Isabella

This cake is really in the "running" to be a top recipe :hehe:hehe !

Where does everyone get their feet ? Do you just give them to your dogs whole like that? And most importantly, do they smell ???

Izzy's birthday is in June and I'd really like to make her one :)

Edited by Isabella

I get my raw chicken feet from a local supplier of raw dog food, of which there are several companies around me. They come frozen. The raw duck feet I get from a local duck raising/slaughtering farm. Those I get fresh and then I freeze them in a single layer on cookie sheets, then put them in a bag in the freezer. And yup, I feed them whole, defrosted and just the way they are (i.e. toenails and all). If you don't have access to any sources like that, try an Asian market. Or a "small town" style of butcher may be able to oblige you.

Oh, and no, they don't smell. :)

IMG_0751.jpg

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AngelPup

Lisa, thanks again for that fantastic birthday cake recipe! Brady LOVED it. It was too funny watching him eat it. He kept searching for more all over the kitchen.... I forgot to add the birthday number candle--BUMMER! And swapped out the chicken feet for chicken jerky (for dogs). :blowcandle

He turned 4 years old, btw.

Definitely a hit!

o76adh.jpg

67saw7.jpg

Edited by AngelPup

Guest greybookends

Here is the original chicken foot cake.

DSC04900.jpg

And the hound that inspired the cake.

DSC04901.jpg

The only thing that would have made that cake better in Bills eyes would have been "THEM".

Guest AngelPup

Here is the original chicken foot cake.

DSC04900.jpg

And the hound that inspired the cake.

DSC04901.jpg

The only thing that would have made that cake better in Bills eyes would have been "THEM".

LOL! It's an AWESOME cake for dogs! Every time I take a piece out of the freezer he goes NUTS!!

Chicken feet?? More like witches' hands.

Seriously! They creep me out!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greybookends

Any ideas on what I could use to substitute for the jiffy mix (as we don't get it here) ?

I wood think any corn muffin mix would work.

Guest blueberri

I wood think any corn muffin mix would work.

Errr... anything else? Corn muffins are not done here. (ditto cornbread, grits (whatever they are), cool whip, and probably a zillion other things)

Guest blueberri

Thanks Angelpup! I'll check a local dry goods store to see if they have cornmeal. Otherwise I'll try for a plain muffin mix.

Not that Sparky would complain. He devoured half a box of weetbix the other day. Methinks he'll be poopin breakfast cereal for a while now!

Guest AngelPup

Thanks Angelpup! I'll check a local dry goods store to see if they have cornmeal. Otherwise I'll try for a plain muffin mix.

Not that Sparky would complain. He devoured half a box of weetbix the other day. Methinks he'll be poopin breakfast cereal for a while now!

LOL!