Is It Ok To Leave Out Of Crate Now?

Guest TheLast13

Guest Krizzy

First off, Hero is GORGEOUS!!! Glad he was good out of the crate. I asked myself the same question....and we left him out of his crate little at a time. He ended up being really good. While we were home, he never chewed anything or gave us a reason not to trust him. Some dogs have separation anxiety and might freak out while left alone. I also always leave the crate open and he will often go in there to sleep.

And, I also still feed him in his crate. His foster encouraged it and I think it is a great idea.

Guest chickenpotpie

He's gorgeous and congradulations! Lucky loves her crate until the evening time when she wants to be with momma. During the day I do leave the door open so she comes and goes as she wants. But I've gated off part of the house so I can hear her while I work. (she mostly sleeps) I'm hoping to try her out on the basement stairs in a couple of weeks. after she got over being scared she got the ones outside the house fine, but the basement stairs is another ball of wax (the stairs suck but its also where my office is)

Guest TheLast13

Thanks for all of the kind words! I would tell him, but I don't need his ego any bigger!

I just don't want him to get hot in his crate, with his blanket and bed in there. With summer coming I was worried he would get too hot in there. Ill have the AC on of course, but I feel like he'd just be too warm. I'm glad he can free roam and get to where hes comfortable, which yesterday was laying in the doorway to my bedroom.

Also I feed him in his crate because I have one of those feeder bowls that clamps to the metal and I have a water pail like he had at the kennel in there. I guess I could just flip them and mount them in the same places outside the crate.. I guess I never thought of that.

One thing I have noticed is that he seems to never drink when I'm gone, then as soon as I get home he drinks a bunch. Its like he doesn't want to drink so he doesn't have to go potty because I'm not here to take him out, but as soon as I'm there he drinks up. Sort of an odd behavior, but one I'm grateful for.

317971_10152456648645445_1024089873_n.jp

537209_10152456666025445_1710095467_n.jp

64562_10152276637270445_1902519606_n.jpg

Gorgeous boy! DH and I now have our 2nd greyhound, and neither of them liked the crate. Both were destructive in it, and both were left out with free roam of most of the house with the exception of the kitchen/dining area, where we have birds. They both preferred that, and were / are good boys.

Your guys seems to be adjusting fantastically!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12