Is It Ok To Leave Out Of Crate Now?

Guest TheLast13

Guest TheLast13

I've had my Boy Hero, now since September, who turns 4 next month, and every day I put him in the crate while Im at work. I've never had an issue with him going in the house or tearing anything up. I will leave him loose in the house anytime im gone for anything other than work. I feel like I can trust him and I want to leave him out when Im at work, I just want to make sure there will be no negative side effects from doing it. I will continue to feed him in his crate regardless.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

There are no guarantees in life. There really is no way to "make sure there will be no negative side effects from doing it." You'll have to do it to find out.

Why do you say you'll continue to feed him in his crate? Are there problems otherwise?

Edited by Feisty49

Go for it! I ditched the crate as soon as I realized Summer didn't want or need it (some time in the first week). If he doesn't want or need it and is happy out of it, perhaps put it away. Not sure why you want to feed him in it?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

If your dog isn't showing any signs of destructive behaviour then it would probably be the right time to try. Generally speaking, if he doesn't do anything when you leave him for shorter periods, he isn't likely to do much when you are at work. I leave all of my dogs out during the day, I never worry about them getting into any trouble.

Guest TheLast13

I read somewhere that its good to feed them in the crate. Maybe to keep the crate as a positive or rewarding place?

Have any of you that don't crate daily, had issues getting them into the crate or whining in the crate if you have to put them in for some reason?

I've just never had a dog like the crate. I know the Greys are a little different, but I want to be able to use it if I need to.

Thank you again everyone!

Try leaving the crate with the door open and a comfy pillow outside the crate to see what he prefers. I am not a crate person so I would have taken it down long ago. My opinion may be biased because I would only use it for safety/security reasons. Mine have the entire home to move around so you may have very different views

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My girl hated her crate from day 1. She was also terrific from day 1. No problems whatsoever. By day 3 or 4, the crate was folded up and put away, not to be seen again. For me and my dog, I don't see the need to have a crate up. If it's ever needed for, say, a medical reason, we'll deal with it then with the knowledge that I'm the human, she's the dog, and if she has to go into the crate for her own good, she will go into the crate.

Some dogs like the comfort a crate can bring them, but it's used with the door always open. They can come and go as they please.

I've never read that feeding in a crate was beneficial. It may be that with multiple dogs separation at feeding is necessary and a crate would do the trick.

Yah, Greyhounds are sorta different but in the end, their tight little butts still belong to a dog. My suggestion is to relax, don't over think and enjoy your pup.

Try leaving the crate with the door open and a comfy pillow outside the crate to see what he prefers. I am not a crate person so I would have taken it down long ago. My opinion may be biased because I would only use it for safety/security reasons. Mine have the entire home to move around so you may have very different views

I agree. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Marsroving

Mars was good to go after a week and a half. Being a first time greyhound owner I was so terrified of not doing the right thing every step of the way! Somehow, I just said to myself, what the heck, let's give it a shot. Immediately I noticed he felt more at home and I stopped feeding him in his crate after about two weeks later.

I have always only crated for medical reasons. When I had a spooky girl I left the crate door open and she used it as a den sometimes, but much preferred the closet. Harley and Buck both came straight from the track and never bothered anything.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Hero is a handsome boy. :) Glad he's doing so well. I agree with leaving the crate door open for now, along with another dog bed nearby so he can choose. If you don't have a baby-gate, just remember to dog-proof, and close doors leading to extra rooms. (We don't leave hounds alone with any soft squeaky toys, etc.)

A Greyhound feeling comfortable in a crate is of great value for veterinary/medical purposes, and during dog-friendly vacations (hotel, rental home, visiting family/friends, etc.), but it's your call whether you have space to leave one up or not.

Feeding in a crate is often recommended for dogs transitioning into new homes to help dog feel the crate is dog's safe, comfortable, and happy place. (Greyhound track kennels feed in crates also.) You wouldn't need to do that forever. Many of us with multiple hounds feed in crates to separate hounds for safety (as mentioned by Feisty49).

Guest TheLast13

Thanks so much for your suggestions. It sounds like today will be his first day left home outside of the crate.

And I feel good about that.

Thank you!

Guest RMarie

Oh my, is he handsome or what?!?! :beatheart:beatheart

I agree with the others. If he isn't destructive when left alone for short periods of time, I doubt he'll be destructive for longer durations. If he doesn't mind his crate, he'll likely hang out in it anyway. That's the way James was...until we introduced him to the couch. :hehe

I agree with just leaving it up with the door open. You may find he goes in of his own accord when he feels tired or just wants to be left alone or he may never go back in it again. If you want to feed him in his crate then you can do so with the door open. If you find he resists going in and he's doing well outside of it, I'd fold it up and put it away.

Good luck today!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest psdirector

When we first got our greys, Tibbs loved his crate and Hutch was terrified of it - to the point of having broken off a number of teeth in the crate at his prison program when he tried to gnaw his way out. We got notes from both of his prison foster moms begging us not to crate him, he was that terrified of it. Long story short, after three horrible days of first leaving Tibbs in the crate and Hutch out, but confined in the kitchen and then both of them in the kitchen without success, on the advice of my daughter we left them out in the family room/ breakfast room/ kitchen area and we have not had a single problem since. They have not bothered anything in the house, other than once pulling a dog food can out of the recycling bag that was left out. We put the crates away and haven't regretted it.

if your dog doesn't mind his crate then why put it away, unless there is a space issue. leave the door open and see what happens. you can start by leaving for short runs and errands. most likely everything will be fine. i usually have a waiting line at the crate when it's erected. we happen to have a space issue but it surely does come in handy during storms or when workmen are in and out of the house or when very young children visit(annie isn't too keen on the little ones). also for medical reasons it's good to have a dog used to a crate when confinment is necessary. it's not an evil, it can be your best friend. go w/ the flow and test the "crateless" waters.

Guest TheLast13

Well, just to update, I came home yesterday and of course he was just fine. He was laying in his big bed in the middle of the floor. He didn't even get up when I walked in, so I know he was OK. I think he has earned his new freedom.

Thanks for the boost of confidence, I think that's all I needed. He was the one fine with it all along.

644686_10152793752170445_13671352_n.jpg

Great news! He's a beautiful boy!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Totally up to you, but there is no reason to continue crating him in my opinion. A crate is meant to be a training tool. And if you have more than one dog, long term crating can provide a measure of safety. But a single, adult dog? Absolutely no reason to continue to crate, including feeding him in the crate unless he has food aggression problems and you have a child to protect.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Congrats and what a handsome guy you have!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Yea, glad Hero did so well while you were at work! :) Great photo of him!

Please continue to dog-proof daily before your departures, especially things with deadly batteries (e.g., remote control, cell phone, electronics), trash, food off kitchen counters, etc. Hopefully, he will be fine from now on, but some Greyhounds become more inquisitive as they become more comfortable.

Note for other readers: IMHO, hounds who are not comfortable in crates are the ones who benefit most from having access to an "open door" crate more often, rather than never seeing their crate again. Free open door access helps them learn crates are safe, happy, comfy dens. (Never use as place of punishment.) The uncomfortable hounds who haven't seen a crate for years are more likely to feel much higher anxiety during veterinary hospital visits (surgeries, etc.) which can increase their medical risks (e.g. anxiety induced hyperthermia). Understandable if limited room space does not permit crate being left in place, just something to consider.

Guest june

Congratulations to you and Hero! I had one grey who slept in her crate every night for a year with the door open . . . until she discovered my bed :hehe I am so glad Hero is "giving up the habit" :beatheart