Need Good Thoughts Please....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping the transition to the patch goes well and he can come home. One of my girls can't handle tramadol at all, but the other is just fine with it and also did fine with a fentynal patch after her dental. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Nice to see a positive update! Prayers he gets to go home tonight.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

sending prayers!!! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I visited him from 1-2, and he seemed better. I won't say MUCH better, because at first he didn't look great. His eyes didn't have the light they always have, even though he was calm and quiet. But by the time I left, he had taken some water from me a few times and was more alert--listening to what people were doing and looking toward them. The light was back in his eyes. Hopefully that's a sign that he will improve even more once he's home. :goodluck At that point he was on only 1/3 of the hydromorphone that he had been on the previous day, and he was still okay. It is definitely having a sedative effect, but he seems more comfortable. The doctor said I should come back at 8 to take him home.

Since then, I've been preparing for his arrival! I picked up some lube (eww) so I can take his temp if needed, and some extra pill pockets, and I met a friend who is lending me a ramp for the stairs and a harness in case he needs help getting around. I'm setting up his bed all comfy and did some vacuuming so I won't have to disturb his highness once he's home.

Thank you to everyone for all the good wishes. I think it has helped....and I hope it continues to do so. If nothing else, it has helped keep me sane. :bgeorge

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I hope Robin can come home soon. Sending prayers for Robin and hugs for you.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Well, he's home! Getting him here was easier than I expected-he wanted to do everything himself. He drank some water, took his pills like a good dog, and ate some rotisserie chicken. I think he wanted more, but I don't want to overdo it. He tried to get up on my bed, but that is not allowed. Strict bedrest for two weeks. That is going to be a challenge--but I thought the bed wars wouldn't start until tomorrow! :lol: He's resting quietly now while I update the world and read the notes and instructions. Need to figure out a med schedule....

Just read in the notes that we got tick titer results that showed exposure to Lyme and Anaplasma but no active infection. It says "there is a remote possibility that the disease is sequestered in the neurologic system and we will continue the doxycyline as prescribed in case it will help." Interesting....though I really hoped that it would be more definitive than that....

I also think, if I'm reading it right, that we confirmed some LS, which I had already suspected. "There was narrowing of the intervertebral spaces around T12-L2 and stair-stepping at the lumbosacral junction with bridging spondylosis. These findings were not consistent with the severe pain found on palpation between the shoulder blades, however may indicate compression of the spinal cord in this area and may be the cause for chronic hindlimb weakness."

At this point, I'm home all day tomorrow with him, and we will see how he does. I'm hoping he is okay for me to go to work Monday, at least for a half day, but we'll see...

I just saw this thread. What an awful few days you've had! So glad that Robin is home with you. Hoping for continued improvement.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so glad he's home. I hope he continues to improve.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

LOL...

If someone wants a funny story....

I got it in my head a little while ago to move my mattress to the floor so Robin could sleep on it with me, since that's what he really wants to do right now.

If you've ever seen a little animated movie called The Brave Little Toaster....

In the beginning of the movie, the appliances try to ride a large mattress, with the vacuum cleaner pushing, down the stairs so they can use it to get to the city. (Honest!)

Well....those appliances were more successful than I was. Turns out the mattress is a couple inches too wide and would not make it to the floor. I nearly got crushed under it, trying to get it back onto the bed after I admitted epic fail.

I think this whole experience has sent me off the deep end....this dog just HAS to get better, or I may end up in a looney bin....

Or crushed under a mattress....

Turns out the mattress is a couple inches too wide and would not make it to the floor. I nearly got crushed under it, trying to get it back onto the bed after I admitted epic fail.

Or crushed under a mattress....

:lol Well, that brings a whole new meaning and visual to "Bed FAIL". So glad your man is home! Continued healing thoughts coming your way.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Glad he's home and hope you both can get some rest, if you don't manage to crush yourself under your mattress!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Does he only have one bed? Or does he have an extra bed he can loan you? If you put some beds end-to-end or side-by-side, you might get something that'll work for you both. Those orthopedic beds with egg-crate foam are quite comfortable, and I'm fine letting my feet hang off the foam bed onto another bed at the foot. I first started getting in the floor with Sam when he'd stand by my bed and whimper because his back hurt too much for him to climb/jump up. I do it regularly, now, because I won't let Sam do the stairs up to the bedroom or make the leap up to the bed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We have two, but one sux... :lol:

I may end up doing that once he feels better enough to really want my bed... I was also considering a low air mattress...he and I have shared such things before fairly comfortably (at least for him!)

I just let him lay outside for a few minutes. "Nature Therapy."

IMG_20130505_141208_103_zps1b6213f3.jpg

IMG_20130505_142403_166_zps7b8ae3b1.jpg

He has some bruising on his elbows and a few other bony places...he was just licking one now...it's kind of dark, dry, and hard. I'm wondering if there is anything I can put on them...

I have bag balm...I wonder if that would help?

Edited by Robin1017

Massaging in the bag balm should help--the massage might be more beneficial than the balm, but that doesn't matter. And the balm will soften any crusty stuff.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Continued best thoughts and hugs for you and your darling boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the kind thoughts! Robin and i are both a lot better, i think. We had a scare last night where i brought him in to be looked at because his gums seemed pale, but it turns out i was a little gunshy...he was fine. Last night was great...he only got up twice to drink water and shift position...so i got a lot more sleep than the night before. And today continues the trend...he is doing pretty well!

Good news today, i thought, is that the urine culture showed the presence of bacteria, maybe a bladder or urinary tract infection. So that is hopeful, as it could explain a lot. He started the new antibiotic tonight.

Now he's on a lot of antibiotics, I'm starting too think maybe i should find some probiotics to help him out. But I'd like something i can get quickly, like stopping at the store. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Here's to more improvement. He wants to go on a greyhound walk!

Glad to hear things are seeming more optimistic. Aside from basic probiotics that you can get at health food stores, or Whole Foods/Trader Joes, I can't think of where to get any immediately. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Let's hope it's just the meds causing the upset. Sending prayers!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Robin continues to improve. Today's update is that we took off the Fentanyl patch tonight, so I am supposed to watch him for signs of increased pain now that that med is gone, to see if we need to add a different med, like tramadol or something. I really don't expect that to happen, but I'm going to watch him.

Robin has begun following me to other rooms in the house, like the kitchen, instead of patiently waiting in his bed for the goodies to come to him, as he has been doing since he came home. Following me from room to room is just what he does, so I'm glad to have this somewhat irritating, but lovable, habit back. :) He also doesn't want to come right back in the house when we are outside like we have been doing--he wants to take a walk....and wander....and sniff..... This is a good thing, but we're supposed to be resting his back! Silly dog.

My boy has always been stubborn. He clearly has an appetite and is hungry--he's even been begging for food, which he hasn't done for months now. However, I just watched this dog pick up some kibble, suck the wet food off of it, and spit it back out into the bowl. :huh Seriously. So I warmed up (yes, microwave food is the new thing) some more wet food and added it so that the mix would be more wet than dry...and he ate it all up like he was starving. Sigh.

Anyway, Robin is definitely feeling better. I'm so happy to have my boy still with me.