Need Good Thoughts Please....

Talked to the vet tech.... they took him out a little bit ago to pee, and he seemed *slightly* more comfortable. And they just took his temp, and it was normal. Hooray!!! Still rough, but this is a tiny, tiny glimmer of hope. He's on a ton of drugs though, to get him this way, so I can't take him home. :-( He also doesn't want to eat, but he might not for them. So I'm going to bring him some chicken and sit with him--she said that it would be okay.

God, my stomach hurts though. So stressed and scared still......

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doxy: It depends.

Glad he seems a little better. Keeping you and your boy close in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Careful with the hydromorphone. Some greys don't react well to it. If he's doing well on it, that's great.

Not life and death problems--I just don't want you to panic and think he's in worse shape than he is if he just gets anxious and panting from the hydromorphone. If he starts to react badly to it, it may take a few hours to clear his system. Do. Not. Panic.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hmm. Makes Me Wonder...TheyKeepThinkingHeIsInMorePain Because HeKeepsGettingAnxious And Panting. So They Keep Upping It, I Think. Maybe He Doesn't Hurt As Much AS They Think...

Though He Still Keeps SinkingIn His Back End When He Stands. So Maybe Not.

I just got home. Spent two hours with him from 3:30-5:30. He stayed in his "cage" kennel thing, and I hopped in with him. I have really small legs, and I could stretch them straight out across and have him rest his head on my hip like he likes to do. At first he was panting a lot when I got there, even with his head resting, but after a little bit he settled and fell asleep. With a few quiet wakings, he stayed asleep for the whole time, until it was meds and IV time and I had to go. He is clearly on a lot of medications, and is pretty doped-up, but it was really good that I was able to get him to settle for a couple of hours. I hope he does more of that tonight....

He perked up at the rotisserie chicken, but wouldn't take it or anything else, including water. He's not dehydrated, because of the IV, but his tongue and mouth are really dry from the panting and mouth breathing, They are trying to syringe some water in there periodically, but his tongue is still like a nasty piece of leather. :( I was able to leave the chicken there, and they will try again.

After that time, I'm feeling more optimistic, though there isn't any new information to justify it. But the time with him was good. I hope it helps him feel better.

I REALLY hope the doxy works. He started it earlier this afternoon. REALLY hoping....

:candle:hope:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so happy your visit went well. Sounds like his momma's presence helped him feel more comfortable.

Glad Robin is in good hands with excellent veterinary care and medications readily available.

Continued prayers for Robin, and sending peaceful strength for you...

:grouphug Hang in there Cathy. Continued good thoughts for your sweet boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Continued good thoughts for Robin and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

More prayers this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just talked to the doctor. Positive update this morning! He seems better....sedate on the meds, but the pain is controlled now. He said that when they took him out to pee he even had a little bit of a trot in his walk!!!!! :yay Those of you who know my Robin know that he NEVER walks without a trot in his step, but the doctor didn't know that, so this is SUPER news.

The goal today, he said, is to slowly get him off the iv medications and onto other stuff so he can go home tonight, maybe between 5 and 7. Boy, do I hope so!!!

The only thing that worries me is that we discussed the pain management options to transition him to, and he really thinks the the fentanyl patch is the only thing that has the potential to be strong enough, given how much meds it has taken to get him comfortable. I was told by friends that some greyhounds have bad reactions to it, and I spoke to the doctor about it, but he REALLY thinks that is the best route, that tramadol won't be enough, etc... So I told him he can try it, but to watch him very very carefully for bad reactions. (I'm second guessing that right now, of course, but this guy has done well with Robin so far.....)

I really want my boy home tonight. I hope he can transition!!!