Need Good Thoughts Please....

Hi everyone,

I feel a little bad, because I don't have anything specific to ask about, unlike so many of us in this forum, but nevertheless I would like to ask for any good thoughts you can spare. Robin is off tonight. He clearly doesn't feel well, and he is stiffer than usual, and his hind end weakness is much more pronounced tonight. He keeps sinking, much quicker and lower than usual. (On the other hand, he ate plenty today, perked up for cookies just now, begged for cookies at the pet store, and jumped up and down from my pretty-high queen size bed...so he's not COMPLETELY out of it.)

It started earlier this afternoon, and there are many easy, obvious explanations. I took him to the vet to pick up some meds, and we ended up stuck in traffic for a while so he was in the backseat longer than usual. Though he slept much of the time, I just cleaned my car and forgot to put back the blankets he is used to having back there, so maybe he just laid funny (I was going to put back the blankets, but this *was* just going to be a short trip!). Or maybe he's just extra tired from the car ride this afternoon. Or, the meds we got are for recently-found nasal capillaria, some parasites that live in the nose and are apparently pretty rare in dogs (leave it to Robin)....so maybe he just doesn't feel well because of those.

So many reasonable explanations. But maybe I'm a little on edge--we had to send my mom's dog Shilo to the bridge just last week, so now Robin is the "old" dog and I'm terrified of losing him. But whatever the case, I'm psyching myself out and imagining all sorts of possibilities, down to the dreaded osteo (the stiffness COULD be a limp! right???). And I could use some good vibes to calm me down and ease my mind. I know SOMETHING is going to take him from me, and at 11 1/2 it will be sooner than I would like, but I'm just not ready yet!

So if you have any to spare, can you send some "feel better" vibes to Robin?

Thanks!

Cathy

PS-I already feel better by typing this out and venting my worries that way, so thanks again!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our elderly gentlemen tire more quickly than we like. But they also perk up quickly.

(At one point, I was convinced I was going to lose Sam soon. He was 11 and was ailing, had lost weight, and looked frail. Instead, I lost my perfectly healthy 8-year-old girl. I've stopped trying to predict...except that my current girl turns 8 in 18 days. I've lost two girls unexpectedly at 8, so this one's going under a glass dome until she turns 9.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Feel better Robin. I totally understand as our Paulie is 11-1/2, too. He has stiff days, but he still eats well and plays with his toys. Yesterday he ran a bit in the yard. He trips, he falls and gets up like it was nothing. Robin stop worrying your mom!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I hope Robin is feeling better. Molly was "off" over the weekend, but she seems back to normal now. I think maybe it was the heat. She will be 11 in a few days. It is so scary when you know they aren't right, but can't pinpoint what is wrong.

It's hard to watch our family growing old but these are some of the best and most fun times. There are going to be days when they feel really good, days when they are "off", and days when they want to sleep more than usual. On the off and sleep days we worry, and it helps me get through them to think that they are "recharging" for the really good days. Good thoughts for Robin, that he's just having one of those recharge days. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

he (And I) Had A Rough Night. I Had To Leave To Go To Work, But I Really Didn't Want To. :( Here's Hoping He's Better When I Get Home. NoTime For Details Now, But Who Knew A Greyhound Could SeeM Lethargic? Now I Know What That Looks Like.

Also Realized I Gave Him Expired Yogurt Last Night. The Date Was 4/14. Maybe I Gave Him Food Poisoning....? Idiot. And Yet, I'm Hoping I Did! Sigh.....

:goodluck Feel better Robin.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Feel better and good thoughts your way, Robin.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I'm sorry he's not feeling better. I hope whatever it is clears up soon. It's tough when old dears have a bad day or three.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:) I'm Still Freaking Out, But I'm Trying Not To. He Want Great This Morning When I Had To Leave, So I Just Called The VeT And Have An Appt For Later In Case He's Still Bad When I.Get Home. I Hope It Is Just An Upset Stomach. He Did Have PrettyLoose Stools This Morning.

Trying To Stay Calm. But I Feel So Helpless-There Are No Good Indicators To HelpUs Know What To Look At! Sadly, I Can't AffordInfinite Testing...

Hoping My Anxiety Is Overrated. :) We'll See How He Is Later.

:) I'm Still Freaking Out, But I'm Trying Not To. He Want Great This Morning When I Had To Leave, So I Just Called The VeT And Have An Appt For Later In Case He's Still Bad When I.Get Home. I Hope It Is Just An Upset Stomach. He Did Have PrettyLoose Stools This Morning.

Trying To Stay Calm. But I Feel So Helpless-There Are No Good Indicators To HelpUs Know What To Look At! Sadly, I Can't AffordInfinite Testing...

Hoping My Anxiety Is Overrated. :) We'll See How He Is Later.

I know this feeling very well. We were up twice between 11:30 pm and 6:30 am with Aquitaine having the runs. It was really hard to leave home this morning. I fasted her (stinkeye!) and my walker will go over early today but I really just want to be home with her.

Try to stay calm. It will do you both good.

Hoping for nothing worse than some mildly upset innards. Keep us posted as best you can, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.