At The Vet With Rita!

Guest twoskinnydogs

Guest twoskinnydogs

Doc just called, he was able to move the blockage, which he said was a small piece of fabric/faux fur and some small plastic beads into her colon by palpating it.....he didn't have to open up her stomach or intestines! He said the items are well small enough to pass through now and didn't want to take the risk of opening her up for no reason. Phew!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best wishes on a successful surgery. On a side note, what were the symptoms that alerted you of blockage? Was she not pooping at all or was it just a decrease in the amount of poop? Was she uncomfortable or slugish? I'm asking because my hound seems to enjoy snacking on things at the park on occasion and sometimes I can't get to him in time before he swallows whatever it may be.

I hope everything goes well!

Wow! Doc must be an amazing Vet! Lucky Rita! Lucky you! Yay!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest twoskinnydogs

Best wishes on a successful surgery. On a side note, what were the symptoms that alerted you of blockage? Was she not pooping at all or was it just a decrease in the amount of poop? Was she uncomfortable or slugish? I'm asking because my hound seems to enjoy snacking on things at the park on occasion and sometimes I can't get to him in time before he swallows whatever it may be.

I hope everything goes well!

She stopped eating, started throwing up. I also noticed that she produced a small amount of poop....much less than usual. She also started walking around panting...also unusual for her.

Our vet is am amazing surgeon, he is a general and specialized surgeon also.

Awesome news! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Very good news! Will await and update on the passage.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:thumbs-up for your awesome surgeon.

:hope for a speedy recovery

BillieJean, our Bridge GSD had the same symptoms several years ago (on Christmas Eve, of all days) and barium showed the same type of blockage.

When they opened her up, they did exactly what your vet did...pushing the blockage right on through and out the other end, with no need to slice into the stomach or intestines.

She was back home with us on Christmas Day, minus a long piece of carpet fuzz.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest twoskinnydogs

Rita is home resting on her bed....well I should say stoned on her bed :lol She goes back in the morning for another day of IV fluids and some meds because she cannot eat or drink. Doc said she will recover just fine and to keep her away from POLAR BEARS!!!

I located the cause of today's incident in my daughters bedroom....a stuffed "Webkins" polar bear, complete with bean bag feet....which he was missing 2 of!!! So today I went through and removed ALL the stuffed animals with beans in their feet in an attempt to avoid this happening again!!!

Rita really scared me today, a feeling I haven't had in almost a year. Toby will have been gone a year coming up on the 14th.....so my emotions are on edge anyway!

People who have ever met Rita don't believe it is possible that she did this, she is a pretty, quiet and shy little girl (which I am proud of myself for keeping her close to her 51 lb racing weight) who only approaches certain people, yet another mystery to me lol But I love this little spotted party girl with all my heart!!!

I have met sweet Rita and never thought she would be a stuffy killer like this :dunno

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Wow. What a save...no two saves: you figuring out that she needed to get to the clinic ASAP, and the surgeon moving the blockage along without major surgery. Rita is a very lucky girl. Glad she's going to be OK.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Rita, bears need their feet! Please beg for treats next time you're "tempted".

Hope your dainty sweetheart is feeling better soon! Hugs!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have met sweet Rita and never thought she would be a stuffy killer like this :dunno

Interviews of the neighbors of mass murderers seem to always start with something like, "We never would have expected this. He was always quiet. Kept to himself. Never bothered anyone."

Wishing Rita a very quick recovery.

Our vet is am amazing surgeon, he is a general and specialized surgeon also.

:bow And an expert palpater Hope that Rita spent a quiet day recovering.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Miss Rita is indeed doing very well. Here she is looking good at GFNC's 20th anniversary event:

016-1_zps20b66217.jpg

And here's her brother John with their dad, Jason:

017-1_zps950992e9.jpg

That's Virtual George of Noo England that they are posing with.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png