Pork/rib Bones Okay To Give To My Greyhound ?

Guest Mitsunari

Guest Mitsunari

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group and this is my 1st post.

My question is, can I give my greyhound pork/rib bones ?

I've seen my Inlaws give their chihuahuas pork bones. Yesterday we had a BBQ and it would seems shameful to let these bones go to waste. I know greyhounds are slightly different from other dogs and cannot have certain things.

Guest Scarter55

A big part of it is the relative size of the bone to the dog. You want dogs to chew on the bones rather than try to eat/swallow them. A rib bone can be the size of some chihuahuas while it would be a little snack to bigger dogs. Just make sure you don't give you dog bones that are too small.

Repeating post #2: RAW bones only!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Mitsunari

Thank you for the quick replies :)

I will surely look through the forum for other type of bones to give to my boy, Hoshi.

I want to avoid feeding raw bones..

Guest Scarter55

If you want to avoid raw food altogether, than I would stay away from bones in general. Just for chewing on, you can get bones and antlers at pet stores, Lady loves those. But those aren't for eating.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FullMetalFrank

When I give pork ribs I serve them in a 2 or 3 rib portion (still attached) this ensures that my hounds actually chew them instead of trying to wolf them down whole. Also, with pork ribs my dogs consume them bones and all. I sometimes give them beef ribs the same way, but those bones they just gnaw on after they finally succeed in getting them apart. Oh, and I feel it's my duty to add to the PSA against cooked bones of any kind; raw only, and ALWAYS supervise.