Cactus To The Nose

Okay, this is my friend's non-greyhound, so maybe this should be in off topic, but I wanted to get this out as quick as possible.

Clark, the pup in question, got into a cactus and has several spikes poking in around his nose. He doesn't really like having things done to him (nails trimmed, ears cleaned, etc.), so he's not happy with his mom as she removes them.

Any tips on removing cactus quills and what should be done to avoid infection around the nose/mouth? Also, do you think this warrants a trip to the Vet, or will they sort of work their way out over time?

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I think the vet ought to do it. They can give him something to calm him down, can view the spines with good light and even a magnifying glass to be sure they're getting all the bits.

And any grudge Clark holds will be against the vets, not the mom.

If she does this at home, and he doesn't heal well or there are other problems, mom will really regret not going to the vet's.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

in the desert hiking with my dogs, i carry a small black man's barber comb. the teeth are really close together and make for a great

tool to get the cactus stickers out.

once out, i'd use some neosporin

and probably give some benadryl for the residual itchy-ness -

good luck!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Thank you for your advice, I will pass it along to my friend. For now, they don't seem to be bothering her dog (he's just hiding in his crate so she can't get to him), but she knows that she can't just leave them in there.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).