Heartgard Alternatives?

Guest driser

Guest driser

ok, we officially cannot continue using Heartgard. For past several months it has been causing diarrhea for days after dose and it's been getting progressively worse with this last dose ending in a $250 vet bill for severe bout of colitis. :(

What alternatives are there that are GH safe?

We use Advantage Multi, which is a preventative for heartworms, other parasites, and fleas. It's a topical rather than something that is ingested. We've used it for two months. No fleas, no diarrhea, no other problems. (Knock wood.) Advantage Multi is actually recommended by North Coast Greyhound Connection and Adoption of Ohio. It's not cheap--just over $13/month per dog--but that may be less than what Interceptor + Frontline Plus cost me.

I didn't like the idea of an ingested flea preventative, which seems to be what the other heartworm preventatives out there all have. Trifexis comes with a diarrhea warning, which didn't sound promising. I was already using Frontline Plus, so the monthly oil slick on the coat doesn't bother me. (I put it on the dogs the first Monday of the month. It sinks in, and any excess can be wiped off with a paper towel in a couple of days--before the weekend meet-and-greets.) It is pretty strong-smelling the first day, but I haven't come up with an acceptable-to-me alternative.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We have the same problem with Fuzzy. The diarrhea starts within hours of taking the Heartguard. Our vet has recommended a topical. So far, what I do is give him a flagyl with the dose and WD food for two days. What that costs me, I could probably buy a more expensive heartworm medication and still be even.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds