Gila's Leaking.....

Our 3 year old female, Gila, spent a good amount of time yesterday liking her privates. When I went over to see if something was wrong, I noticed a puddle next to her, like she had wet the bed. I wiped it up, and it was a clear odorless liquid, like water, not urine. It could have been saliva, but it wasn't thick like that. She doesn't seem to have a bladder infection, is acting normal in all ways. Is fine today, but this left me confused. We've noticed large wet spots on one of the beds before, but were never sure which dog had caused it (we have two greyts), and assumed it was from excessive licking as the wet spots never smelled of urine, and the dogs go in and out all day. This time there was a large amount of liquid, more than I thought could be saliva, which leaves me baffled. Any ideas? Is this some cleaning ritual females sometimes do? It's been quite a while since I've had a female dog, but don't remember this happening before.

It's nothing my girl does, other than a regular licking once in a while. If I thought she was leaking, I'd be taking a trip to the vet, and I'm not one to run to any doctor, for my Greyhound or myself, at the drop of a hat.

Guest greytkidsmom

Tiel does this once in a while - a clear fluid with a sort of metallic odor for lack of a better word.

We had urine and blood checked and they were fine.

We increased the frequency of her turnouts and the problem cleared up - it seems to happen when her bladder is full - kind of an "overflow" incontinence.

Thanks for your input! I don't think it's overflow incontinence, as I work out of my home and she's in and out all day, and the last time it happened, she had just come in. It's only happened a few times, but always during the day. I don't think it's an infection, because it happens so infrequently. Next time I notice her licking, I'll try and figure out what's going on. As I mentioned, it doesn't seem to be urine, as it is colorless and odorless.

UTIs (not to mention kidney disease) don't always have obvious or consistent symptoms. Get a sample to the vet for a check. No reason not to.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update:

Noticed her licking again a couple days ago, so got down on my hands and knees to figure out what was going on. I did notice she was dripping clear fluid that she was licking. Took her to the vet this morning with a urine sample. Everything's good, no UTI's. The vet couldn't figure out what was going on, either, especially since the liquid was clear and odorless, not like urine (She's not a heavy drinker, so her urine is always yellow). He said he's assuming it's sporadic urinary incontinence and will prescribe Proin if it happens again.

We had the same thing happening with one of our males. While there was a UTI, there was/is also kidney disease as shown by urine specific gravity, BUN and creatinine. (You should probably have all those checked if you haven't already.) Proin can be dangerous in some greys, and I didn't like the way he looked after one dose. (He had two undiagnosed TBD's, it turned out, and I wonder if that's a relevant variable. We've since treated them.) So we rejected the proin and put him on a medium-protein diet (Royal Canin, pricey but cheaper than vet bills). As long as he stays on it, no leaking -- or not enough to be a problem.

ETA: TBD's, such as Lyme, can lead to kidney disease. I'm not sure our dog would have done so well if we hadn't found and treated his.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).