Both Hounds Have Diarrhea

Both of my hounds Angel and Fast had dentals on March 27th. They were both on food restrictions of rice and hambuger along with a loaf style canned food for 2 weeks. Well that has came and gone. They had 2 week recheck on april 10. And everything was good. So our vet had us start mixing there dry food back in over the course of a week. And all was good. Untill the end of last week. They both started having really bad diarrehea. It's gotten so bad that my dad has threatened to stop walking them untill we get this diarrhea situation figured out.

At first we thought it was the canned dog food that I got from pet store. So we stopped that. And that didn't help. We also stopped giving them the treats I bought them at the arts and craft show. And that didn't help either. We also stopped the store bought treats I bought at one of our groups meet and greets, And I know I've bought this brand before with no problems. Right now they are getting Beggin strips for treats, yes I know. There not the best. But I didn't have a chance to bake treats for them since my best friend endded up in the hospital this weekend. And she's still there right now.

Angel gets fed the Kirkland chicken, Rice and vegatable formula. And Fast gets fed Fromm's Chicken a la Veg. And they both get the canned dog food from costco.

We've been giving them some canned pumpkin with there meals since thursday night. And we've also been trying to give them some cheese in hopes to stop the diarrhea. But nothing seems to be helping.

Do I call the vet and see if I can bring fecal samples on both of them. I'm just kinda at a loss on what to do with this situation!

I need some help guys!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

I assume they are not currently on medications that might be causing diarrhea.

Yes to fecal tests. If you take stool samples, samples should be fresh, less than 1 hour old. Otherwise, fecal samples need to be bagged immediately after dogs' bowel movement, then refrigerated immediately until you leave for vet's office. Place baggies on ice to transport to vet's office.

I would stop all treats, including cheese. Give the gut a rest for 1/2 day to full day, then restart a bland white rice diet, and consult vet. Plain pumpkin (without sugar) is usually okay, but rice has always worked better than pumpkin for us. (Once they are okay back on kibble, you can excitedly offer kibble nuggets as their treats.) Definitely eliminate all common denominator foods they're on now: Possibly Costco canned food?

If no prior diarrhea(?), why were they on rice + hamburger originally?

Parasites and/or other illnesses can cause diarrhea. Only allow them to drink fresh water, sourced from the tap or bottled or filtered.

Avoid Giardia, etc. by not allowing dogs to drink from creeks, lakes, rain puddles, bird baths, fish ponds, an outside water bowl that isn't cleaned daily, etc.

Edited by 3greytjoys

I give my dogs home cooked oatmeal when they have stomach upsets. Oatmeal is in all of your sensitive diet kibbles.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

They were both getting antibotics after there dentals. And they were on rice and hambuger for a total of 3 weeks after there dentals.

I did call the vet. I we did have fecals done on both of them And there wasn't anything there. So that a good sign, I think? So now we are starting endosorb along with a bland diet. And I guess so how that goes. If that doesn't help they said we could get metronidazole for them. But to try the endosorb first.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest Eyeblaura

Here's hoping the Endosorb works. That combined with the flagyl worked quickly when Enzo had HGE. I would also think a probiotic might be in order with the antibiotic use. They may need to rebuild that gut flora.